PDA

View Full Version : PS3, the new Saturn

wraggster
January 21st, 2009, 20:45
Lest we forget our history, my GDmag coworker Jeff reminded me that almost everything Kaz Hirai is saying about the PS3 was previously said about the Saturn. Take note of the quote I linked below. Now read this statement from the aforelinked Saturn whitepaper: "This growth won't be possible on competing systems that offer a simpler architecture. It may be easier in some ways for developers to create programs for the competition because there's less to learn and work with from a technology standpoint -- but that means that developers are much more likely to run up against the limits of the system in a short span of time. The simpler structure of competing architectures also increases the chance that games will be "ported" from other systems (other game systems or even personal computers), which results in games that are generic and not optimized for performance and special features.

In contrast, the sophistication of the Sega Saturn pays off for both developers and consumers alike over the long term. Developers will continue to discover new ways to wield their creative talents, and game players will have an ongoing supply of new, inventive, out-there, beyond-cool titles for their Sega Saturn systems. "

That kind of logic is destined for failure. At the same time the Saturn is one of my favorite systems ever. Does this mean the PS3 will eventually be one of my favorite systems? The industry has changed enough that developers no long really "choose" a console, but rather develop somewhat agnostically and port as they can. The current climate does not seem conducive to the kind of quirky hardware differentiation of times past. So with that in mind, Sony had better learn from the past, of the ghost of Sega will come and have its revenge!

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/002610.html

kojiro7
January 21st, 2009, 23:32
I am very happy that ps3 is a failure.Life makes its circle you cant always win.Sony is the loser this time and ps3 will never be one of our favorite systems like sega saturn with grand tourismo and little big stupid planet exclusives

DPyro
January 21st, 2009, 23:49
PS3 is far from a failure. It's sold more than Saturn that's for sure, and has sold more than Dreamcast and Gamecube as well.

kojiro7
January 21st, 2009, 23:59
PS3 is far from a failure. It's sold more than Saturn that's for sure, and has sold more than Dreamcast and Gamecube as well.

So what?Its not the number 1 now and that counts .Also Saturn and Dreamacst had memorable titles,you can still enjoy.In 4-5 years everyone will have forget little big planet

DPyro
January 22nd, 2009, 00:28
You don't have to be the number 1 selling console to be successful. As long as Sony continues to release good games and improves the system, that's all that is needed.

Triv1um
January 22nd, 2009, 01:15
So what?Its not the number 1 now and that counts .Also Saturn and Dreamacst had memorable titles,you can still enjoy.In 4-5 years everyone will have forget little big planet

Why do you post here?

You are a fanboy wanker. Gtfo new***.

Darksaviour69
January 22nd, 2009, 01:28
sold more than Dreamcast and Gamecube as well.
Well it has not out sold the Gamecube yet, the GC sold about 22 million while the PS3 is at about 20 million at the mo. But its only a matter of time....

Edit: also it has not out sold the sat in japan yet (5.5 million Sat's to just under 3 million PS3s)

interestingly the Sat sold better than the Gen/Megadrive in japan.

ICE
January 22nd, 2009, 02:59
Anyone that would call the PS3 a failure is clearly either very, very uninformed or a complete fanboy.

sorceror
January 22nd, 2009, 14:13
I am very happy that ps3 is a failure.

And, sadly, that tells us all we need to know about you. Being happy that someone else 'fails' is always a sign of neurotic insecurity. My condolences. :(

sorceror
January 22nd, 2009, 14:20
The current climate does not seem conducive to the kind of quirky hardware differentiation of times past. So with that in mind, Sony had better learn from the past, of the ghost of Sega will come and have its revenge!

That much is true - Sony does need to make developing on the PS3 as easy as possible. Sony usually chooses architectures that can do remarkable things - compare the first PS2 games to the current ones - but they're not easy to develop for.

Sony needs to really cater to developers and work with them. Say what you will about the 360's build quality or lack thereof (and there's a lot to be said there), MS at least has a rep for working closely with developers, Sony not so much.

It'll be hard to pony up the salaries and resources for good developer representatives in this economic climate, but it's a necessary expense if Sony's going to turn this around.

Shadowblind
January 22nd, 2009, 14:57
From a financial standpoint, yes the PS3 is a massive failure. But then again so was the Xbox 1. From a commercial standpoint, the PS3 is a success, again like the original Xbox.

It all depends on what your looking for when you call it a failure as to whether your right or an idiot.

acn010
January 22nd, 2009, 18:37
ps3 is soon gaining its place... it is still early ya know... still the ps3 is a powerful system on which hits still good

kojiro7
January 22nd, 2009, 22:02
Why do you post here?

You are a fanboy wanker. Gtfo new***.

Whos the fanboy as****e?You are a ps3 owner perharps,too bad for you,spend your money for nothing

kojiro7
January 22nd, 2009, 22:07
And, sadly, that tells us all we need to know about you. Being happy that someone else 'fails' is always a sign of neurotic insecurity. My condolences. :(

Whos is the someone?Sony?Hahaha...You love so much your ps3?And for those all who say stupid things about me,let me tell you that I dont play next gen games anymore,I only own a pc and xbox1 for emulator gaming purposes.So I am not a fanboy of xbox360 or Wii against the ps3.But ps3 is really a waste of money against the other 2,thats the truth and wake up

JLF65
January 22nd, 2009, 22:45
The comparison to the Saturn is bogus. The difference is the Saturn wasn't better than the competitors, just more complex, and everyone knew it. The PS3 IS better than the competitors, and everyone (who isn't a fanboy) knows it. The power of the Cell Broadband Engine coupled with a decent GPU can't be argued... what remains is whether that power is enough to entice companies to expend the effort. They didn't on the Saturn because they knew they weren't going to get results. The PS3 will get results for effort.

yaustar
January 22nd, 2009, 23:07
But ps3 is really a waste of money against the other 2,thats the truth and wake up

Its opinion, not fact. Please do not pass it as such.

Accordion
January 22nd, 2009, 23:30
Whos is the someone?Sony?Hahaha...You love so much your ps3?And for those all who say stupid things about me,let me tell you that I dont play next gen games anymore,I only own a pc and xbox1 for emulator gaming purposes.So I am not a fanboy of xbox360 or Wii against the ps3.But ps3 is really a waste of money against the other 2,thats the truth and wake up

If you dont have any one of the three current consoles then you know nothing.
from experience or not at all

thankyou!

Darksaviour69
January 23rd, 2009, 00:51
The comparison to the Saturn is bogus. The difference is the Saturn wasn't better than the competitors, just more complex, and everyone knew it. The PS3 IS better than the competitors, and everyone (who isn't a fanboy) knows it. The power of the Cell Broadband Engine coupled with a decent GPU can't be argued... what remains is whether that power is enough to entice companies to expend the effort. They didn't on the Saturn because they knew they weren't going to get results. The PS3 will get results for effort.

Results?did you ever see Quake running on the Saturn? Some people say that the saturn could match the ps1 (maybe even better it). But its pointless if it too expensive (longer development time) to use the full power of the console. So there is a similarity there, but really that's where the similarity ends.

Eviltaco64
January 23rd, 2009, 02:38
The PS3 is going to probably sell up to 40 or 50 million total, which isnt bad at all.

Just because a system is in 3rd place doesn't make it a failure. Consider high prices, a later start, and a pretty bad and ignorant view made widestream by the foolish bunch of Wii60ers. The fact of the matter is that the PS3 is a great console with a lot of untapped potential. 2008 was a great year for PS3 and it's all but downhill for it right now. Also keep in mind that it outsold the 360 in many areas until the 360's price drop. If the PS3's price were to be reduced to $300 or so, it would definitely see a large increase of sales.

They're all great consoles, and they're most certainly not failures.

As for the Saturn, great console as well. It's 2D capabilities most certainly outranked that of the PS1 or N64, and as for 3D, it was harder to squeeze everything out of the Saturn, but games like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Quake as DarkSaviour mentioned really showcased the Saturn hardware. Still a shame that some of the best looking titles for the Saturn were canned (Sonic Xtreme, Virtua Fighter 3, Shenmue, and the like), not to mention the supposedly complete port of Sonic the Fighters.

Saturn and PS3 are hardly alike, save their 3rd place spots and occasionally hard to port to hardware.

Also, just a word of advice, if you hate any certain console, feel free to share your opinion, but please, try to do it in a more sophisticated manner (i.e. no name calling, exceptionally fanboyish comments, etc), it's unnecessary and pisses certain memebers off.

That being said, I dislike the Xbox 360 for it's unreliable hardware, expensive add-ons and accessories (non-proprietary hard drives, xbox live gold), bad d-pad, and the many retards ruining Xbox Live. Oh, and of course we can't forget those Microsoft executives that "actually invented everything that's coming out on other consoles". ;)

JLF65
January 23rd, 2009, 08:04
Results?did you ever see Quake running on the Saturn? Some people say that the saturn could match the ps1 (maybe even better it). But its pointless if it too expensive (longer development time) to use the full power of the console. So there is a similarity there, but really that's where the similarity ends.

It depended on the type of game. Quake/Doom would be about the limit of the type of game you could do on the Saturn that would match (or possibly exceed with a lot of effort) the PSX. The problem was that the Saturn had an awesome 2D graphics processor, but the slap-together-at-the-last-second 3D processor could only simulate 3D (only good for unlit affine mapping). The PSX has an honest-to-god GPU that was meant for 3D rendering. Not as good as the N64 GPU, but miles ahead of the Saturn.

Then there was the matter of geometry transforms - the PSX had a co-processor in the main CPU to calculate matrices and such. The Saturn sloughed it off on the secondary processor, which wasn't really designed for such calculations. It would be like removing the T&L from your PC video GPU and using your multi-core CPU to do it instead. It's just not as good.

So there were games the Saturn excelled at - mostly 2D games. Old first generation 2.5/3 D games could be done better with a lot of work. But after that, the Saturn got left in the dust.

Darksaviour69
January 23rd, 2009, 11:16
Famously EA used just the one processor in their ports, as so they looked crap in comparison. Lobotomy software (Quake, Exhumed/powerslave and Duke Nukem) where incredible in how the pushed the Sat. They even added coloured lighting to the Duke port, that even the PC version did not have!

Back on topic, I think the PS3 is more comparable with the original Xbox. The xbox was more powerful that the PS2, yet it got loads of direct ports from the ps2. fortunately for the ps3, it has a lot more clout with publishers than the original xbox, but then the xbox was easier to develop on compared to the PS3.

so in collusion, really the PS3 is a lot like.....the PS3 ;)

acn010
January 23rd, 2009, 11:23
ps3 is reading ports thanks to damn 360.... ;p
well soon by time, the ps3 will show its true power :D
the only issue is the price...

WhizzBang
January 23rd, 2009, 18:32
When the Saturn failed you could pick them up for next to nothing in shops, and people still didn't buy. I can't see that ever happening to the PS3 as I would buy one like a shot if I saw it for sale at a stupidly low price.

JLF65
January 23rd, 2009, 22:59
When the Saturn failed you could pick them up for next to nothing in shops, and people still didn't buy. I can't see that ever happening to the PS3 as I would buy one like a shot if I saw it for sale at a stupidly low price.

Good point. Even if it failed as a game machine (and I don't see that happening), it's one of the best media players I've ever seen. The upscaling and filtering it does on DVDs is phenomenal! Playing CDs through really sounds fantastic. Then there's RemotePlay, so I can listen to music and watch quite a bit of video anywhere I have a WiFi connection for my PSP. So people would snap these up if the price dropped enough, regardless of available games.

Ultima Chocochu
January 24th, 2009, 01:30
I am very happy that ps3 is a failure.Life makes its circle you cant always win.Sony is the loser this time and ps3 will never be one of our favorite systems like sega saturn with grand tourismo and little big stupid planet exclusives

Sadly this boy suffers from Fanboyism Syndrome....When Fanboy's just don't truly understand the word "failure", and the definition my friend is...You =[

jonezybaby
January 24th, 2009, 12:11

so because Shitbox and wee cums out like ages before ps3 ur quick enough to write off the ps3?

i bet if you stop the sale of shitbox and wee and let the ps3 catch up to the amount of time they've had ull change ur mind.

ps3 isnt a bad console. its certainly more stable then the shitbox, id get ****ed off havin the ring of death every 5 mins and im sure most ppl would be,
i have a friend who is microsoft thru and thru but hes sellin his shitbox and buyin a ps3 because he dont like that microsoft made a shit console with more problems then a hospital!

enough said! just a fan boy i think, dont like it cus theres a better designed console on the market!

Shadowblind
January 24th, 2009, 12:20
so because Shitbox and wee cums out like ages before ps3 ur quick enough to write off the ps3?

i bet if you stop the sale of shitbox and wee and let the ps3 catch up to the amount of time they've had ull change ur mind.

ps3 isnt a bad console. its certainly more stable then the shitbox, id get ****ed off havin the ring of death every 5 mins and im sure most ppl would be,
i have a friend who is microsoft thru and thru but hes sellin his shitbox and buyin a ps3 because he dont like that microsoft made a shit console with more problems then a hospital!

enough said! just a fan boy i think, dont like it cus theres a better designed console on the market!

Either my sarcasm detector is off, or that entire post sounded a lot like Kaz Harai on steroids. But then again its been a while since I've changed the detectors battery. :p

Eviltaco64
January 24th, 2009, 15:27

The Wii was actually released after the PS3 was in both North America and Japan. Only in Europe did Wii come out before PS3.

JLF65
January 25th, 2009, 00:59
The Wii was actually released after the PS3 was in both North America and Japan. Only in Europe did Wii come out before PS3.

Doesn't really matter since the Wii isn't the same generation system as the PS3 or 360 - it's a GameCube with a minor update and a funny controller. You have to compare the Wii with the PS2 or XBox, not the PS3 or 360.

ICE
January 25th, 2009, 01:24
Doesn't really matter since the Wii isn't the same generation system as the PS3 or 360 - it's a GameCube with a minor update and a funny controller. You have to compare the Wii with the PS2 or XBox, not the PS3 or 360.

Generations are determined by timing not by similarities. Wii is current gen because of when it came out. Its not a time traveler.

Darksaviour69
January 25th, 2009, 02:23
I have to agree with ICE. Would you place the Jaguar (a "64 bit" machine) in the same gen as the snes/megadrive, or the N64?

Eviltaco64
January 25th, 2009, 05:01
I don't think Jaguar belongs to the same generation as the SNES and Genesis even though it was meant to compete with them (kind of like how Dreamcast originally competed with N64 and PS1).

After all, it did come out shortly after the 3DO, which was really the beginning of the 32-bit generation.

JLF65
January 26th, 2009, 09:37
Generations are determined by timing not by similarities. Wii is current gen because of when it came out. Its not a time traveler.

Maybe to you, but many people call generations by the features supported, and Wii definitely doesn't qualify. By your measure, the new single-chip Genesis clones with multiple games in one package consoles are current generation... and that's just silly! :D

kojiro7
January 26th, 2009, 13:13
Sadly this boy suffers from Fanboyism Syndrome....When Fanboy's just don't truly understand the word "failure", and the definition my friend is...You =[

The ''boy'' you refer to,is, 27 years old,mma athlete and working as a bouncer.I am not fanboy,I used to be in old good days(sega-nintendo/amiga-atari)there is no reason for me to be a fanboy anymore since almost all current games suck.Jjust I recognise that xbox360 is far better than ps3 and sony thought she would be the queen forever,but life is a wheel and makes its circle.Ok boys?

Malksta
January 26th, 2009, 14:15
The ''boy'' you refer to,is, 27 years old,mma athlete and working as a bouncer.I am not fanboy,I used to be in old good days(sega-nintendo/amiga-atari)there is no reason for me to be a fanboy anymore since almost all current games suck.Jjust I recognise that xbox360 is far better than ps3 and sony thought she would be the queen forever,but life is a wheel and makes its circle.Ok boys?

360 is better in what? It's sure as hell not exclusives.

Accordion
January 26th, 2009, 18:03
:eek::rofl::o:(:confused:

ICE
January 26th, 2009, 18:20
Maybe to you, but many people call generations by the features supported, and Wii definitely doesn't qualify. By your measure, the new single-chip Genesis clones with multiple games in one package consoles are current generation... and that's just silly! :D

Generation is defined as "A group of individuals born and living about the same time." Wii is current gen by definition and you cant say its not. You can say its not the same type of system as 360 and PS3 and thus should not be compared. Much the way the DS and PSP are from the same generation as the PS2 but should never be compared to it.

P.S. I think we can all agree on one thing. kojiro7's last post was an epic fail.

pibs
January 26th, 2009, 20:30
This whole Generation nonsense is crazy marketing trying to capitalize the idea of future tech imo.

It is a pretty good way to categorize consoles by their release but I just wished it stayed at that.

Anyways, about the whole PS3 being the next saturn, hmm (http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/other/tech.htm)

"Consumers don't buy a game system for its own sake," says William White, vice president of Sega of America marketing. "They buy it for the fun they anticipate that the game software will provide."

The difference I see is that Sony has been pushing to sell the console for its own sake. Blu-ray should of had been the extra and not the selling point for the casual consumer.

Something else that caught my eye was

At a price between $350 and $400, the Sega Saturn will attract the sophisticated consumer who appreciates the knock-your- socks-off, can't-find-it-elsewhere home entertainment experience of Sega Saturn game titles.

Sounds alot like PS3:p

Now that doesn't necessarily mean the PS3 is a failure it just has been marketed at a different audience because Sony just figured all the PS2 owners would jump on the bandwagon.

kojiro7
January 27th, 2009, 01:39
360 is better in what? It's sure as hell not exclusives.

-Cheaper price
-Bigger collection both exclusives and not
-Piracy
-PS3s power is just a myth,games cant be much better than xbox360.And a real bluray game can be easily fit in double layer dvds
-Tekken 6 is also coming to xbox360
-Less power draining(it does matter)

What else you want?It meets all the requirements for quality and cheap next gen gaming.No reason to buy ps3 for some few exclusives and bluray movie.And I repeat for a million time,I am not a fanboy,I am an oldschool gamer unlike the most of you

Accordion
January 27th, 2009, 02:00
-Cheaper price
-Piracy
-PS3s power is just a myth,games cant be much better than xbox360.And a real bluray game can be easily fit in double layer dvds

What else you want?It meets all the requirements for quality and cheap next gen gaming.No reason to buy ps3 for some few exclusives and bluray movie.And I repeat for a million time,I am not a fanboy,I am an oldschool gamer unlike the most of you

seriously?
Are you real?

Your 27!

lmtlmt
January 27th, 2009, 02:02
The worst thing about 360 is the powerbrick, its not a deal breaker but its freakin stupid

ICE
January 27th, 2009, 02:13
-Cheaper price
-Piracy

-I secede that it is cheaper
-Its been out far longer. Of course it has more games.
-Piracy is not a good thing
-PS3 is more powerful. Compare Killzone 2 to any 360 game.
-Single-layered DVDs hold around 4.7gigabytes, with Dual-layered DVDs holding around 8.5gb while a single layered Blu-Ray disc can hold up to 25gb so unless I'm missing something you're wrong.
-Tekken is one game
-Who the crap cares about power consumption

Malksta
January 27th, 2009, 17:32
-Cheaper price
-Piracy

Umm, you just made piracy sound like a quality.

Double-layered DVDs can hold same amount of memory as Blu-ray discs? You can't be serious.

Yeah, Tekken 6 is coming to 360 also, who gives a sh*t? The recent Tekken games released have been sucky and what makes you think this will be any better?

Ofcourse it has a bigger gaming library but, unfortunately for the 360, these games are mostly terrible, unheard of and have no appeal.

Try saying 360 has better exclusvies than PS3 with a straight face. Oh sh*t, impossible task? Ofcourse because these "amazing" 360 exclusives are nothing but overrated garbage. A joke of a defence.

My 360 fanboy friend came over to try my "Piece of shit 3". He is buying one this week ;)

kthxbai

Darksaviour69
January 27th, 2009, 20:20
Can someone tell me what the great PS3 exclusives are.

Killzone 2, Well the first one was over hyped and turned out to be crap. So far only offical ps3 mags have reviewed it and all have given it a great score, but them the same thing happened with the first game. I'm waiting for the Edge or Eurogamer review before I know if its any good.

Second Heavy rain, looks great, but graphics alone a game does not make. The developers have made Omikron: The Nomad Soul and Fahrenheit. Both good interesting games but both flawed, so it will be interesting to see how the game turns out.

Ofcourse it has a bigger gaming library but, unfortunately for the 360, these games are mostly terrible, unheard of and have no appeal.

thats just as silly and "fanboy"ish statement compared to what kojiro7 has posted.

Most of the best game are multi platform anyway. So the question is which console has the best versions. I have been reading the "Xbox 360 vs. PS3 Face-Offs" on eurogamer for the last 2 years and at the start the Xbox 360 mostly was the better versions, but now (Xbox 360 vs. PS3 Face-Off: Round 17 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-17-article)) its far more closers to the point its barely noticeable.

In the end they are both good consoles and both have strengths and weakness. And I think alot of people in the thread need to grow up

;)

edit: the Xbox exclusive games i'm looking forward to:
Halo wars
Halo 3: ODST
Mass Effect 2
GTA4: DLC

Alan Wake looks good, but I'm not a fan of horror games.

DPyro
January 27th, 2009, 20:36
Can someone tell me what the great PS3 exclusives are.

Killzone 2, Well the first one was over hyped and turned out to be crap. So far only official ps3 mags have reviewed it and all have given it a great score, but them the same thing happened with the first game. I'm waiting for the Edge or Eurogamer review before I know if its any good.

The first Killzone was the first game created for most of the people at Guerrilla Games, so it's no wonder it didn't have the best gameplay. They have improved though, and their PSP version got an average rating of about 80%. Sure the official PlayStation mags have given it perfect or almost perfect scores, but they are not really all that biased. Killzone 2 also got 10/10 from GamePro, and IGN is hinting that they gave it a very good score.

ICE
January 27th, 2009, 20:53
Currently God of War III, Gran Turismo, Heavy Rain, inFamous, MAG, Uncharted 2, and of course Killzone 2 are all slated for 2009. I dont think you can say that PS3 or 360 is obviously better than the other but I really like PS3 this year. Plus I always thought Halo was garbage lol. Whats worse than Halo? RTS Halo lol.

Malksta
January 27th, 2009, 20:54
LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4, Motorstorm 1 & 2, R&C and expansion, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Resistance 1 & 2, Disgaea 3, Folklore, Siren, Warhawk, WipEout HD. All quality titles (and you'd know this if you've played them)

and we have Killzone 2 being released in Feb which has currently 9/10+ reviews. We also have Heavy Rain, inFamous, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, FFXII VS, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 coming.

there's your list, DS69.

Accordion
January 27th, 2009, 20:57
the original killzone being crap is a myth. The game is decent, and all the flaws seem to come from the developers not showing restraint on the ps2 attempting something that is clearly not possible without expert optimization. The underlying game however was no less than average with some great moments and features.

As for PS3 exclusives:
Uncharted
Ratchet
MGS4
Resistance
Wipeout HD
Motorstorm
GT 5: Prologue
PixelJunk Eden/Monsters
Heavenly Sword
LittleBigPlanet
Valkyria Chronicles
Warhawk

And for the future:
Flower
Nobi Nobi Boy
Team ICO project 3
Killzone 2
Heavy Rain
White Knight Chronicles
Yakuza 3
FF vsXIII
GoW 3

As a side note, there was a time when Alan Wake was going to be PS3 exclusive
wonder what happened there

kojiro7
January 27th, 2009, 21:26
Umm, you just made piracy sound like a quality.

Double-layered DVDs can hold same amount of memory as Blu-ray discs? You can't be serious.

Yeah, Tekken 6 is coming to 360 also, who gives a sh*t? The recent Tekken games released have been sucky and what makes you think this will be any better?

Try saying 360 has better exclusvies than PS3 with a straight face. Oh sh*t, impossible task? Ofcourse because these "amazing" 360 exclusives are nothing but overrated garbage. A joke of a defence.

My 360 fanboy friend came over to try my "Piece of shit 3". He is buying one this week ;)

kthxbai

Ofcourse double layer dvds can fit a blu ray game,just they do it on 2 or 3 dvds.Make your brain to work a bit.As for piracy,hahaha this is the real reason ps3 is unsuccesful,dont hide behind your fingers,unless you live in another planet

Malksta
January 27th, 2009, 21:34
Ofcourse double layer dvds can fit a blu ray game,just they do it on 2 or 3 dvds.Make your brain to work a bit.As for piracy,hahaha this is the real reason ps3 is unsuccesful,dont hide behind your fingers,unless you live in another planet

So basically you're saying that piracy will help the PS3?

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2009, 21:57

A Blu-Ray game will fit on DVDs... Usually in a compressed manner which can bring down the quality of a game (compressed video, blurrier textures, etc).

And look what piracy did to the PSP. It was a successful console, but software sales were low, resulting in a lot of companies making games for DS or stopping PSP development.

And don't insult people, it's unnecessary.

JLF65
January 28th, 2009, 00:30
Generation is defined as "A group of individuals born and living about the same time." Wii is current gen by definition and you cant say its not. You can say its not the same type of system as 360 and PS3 and thus should not be compared. Much the way the DS and PSP are from the same generation as the PS2 but should never be compared to it.

P.S. I think we can all agree on one thing. kojiro7's last post was an epic fail.

Yes, I think we can all agree on that. :D

Anywho, I don't think arguing over who has "won" any particular year has any merit. What matters is not what place you are in, but whether you have enough of an installed base to make a decent living. Being last is no big deal as long as you survive. Being first is not a good thing if you're overextending yourself to maintain an artificial lead (cough - MS - cough).

While Nintendo is not my first platform, I don't have anything against them. I certainly admire how they've been able to get people to keep buying their stuff. They hit their target just about perfect. That's probably the main problem Sony has right now - figuring out who they're targeting, and then doing so.

kojiro7
January 28th, 2009, 01:39
So basically you're saying that piracy will help the PS3?

Ofcourse.Like ps1 and ps2.Am I wrong?

kojiro7
January 28th, 2009, 01:52
A Blu-Ray game will fit on DVDs... Usually in a compressed manner which can bring down the quality of a game (compressed video, blurrier textures, etc).

And look what piracy did to the PSP. It was a successful console, but software sales were low, resulting in a lot of companies making games for DS or stopping PSP development.

And don't insult people, it's unnecessary.

Ds has more piracy than any other console,many flashcards to pirate it.Psp is not unsuccesful because of piracy,its another story.Listen my friend,in all years I remember videogames piracy helped them boost their sales and popularity.For spectrum/amstrad/commodore we but copy tapes .For amiga/atari st we buy copy disks.You can tell me now,snes/megadrive,etc. didnt have piracy,I agree.But those times we go and rent cartridges like video tapes,or buying cheap used games,we seldom buy a new game,only the most popular.Sony put people to piracy again with ps1 and the mass crap and good games,thats why it had such success.Noone can deny all these facts

Eviltaco64
January 28th, 2009, 02:09
Ds has more piracy than any other console,many flashcards to pirate it.Psp is not unsuccesful because of piracy,its another story.Listen my friend,in all years I remember videogames piracy helped them boost their sales and popularity.For spectrum/amstrad/commodore we but copy tapes .For amiga/atari st we buy copy disks.You can tell me now,snes/megadrive,etc. didnt have piracy,I agree.But those times we go and rent cartridges like video tapes,or buying cheap used games,we seldom buy a new game,only the most popular.Sony put people to piracy again with ps1 and the mass crap and good games,thats why it had such success.Noone can deny all these facts

If you mean that piracy will increase hardware sales, then yes, you're right in a way. But it badly hurts software developers, who are the people keeping the system alive in the first place.

Accordion
January 28th, 2009, 02:41
27?

JLF65
January 28th, 2009, 06:54
If you mean that piracy will increase hardware sales, then yes, you're right in a way. But it badly hurts software developers, who are the people keeping the system alive in the first place.

That's debatable. Developers have ALWAYS had to deal with piracy, and it's lower on the PSP than other platforms. It's a common EXCUSE given, but it's rarely ever the truth.

Decent games will sell enough despite piracy. Piracy arguably helps sell GREAT games. Poor games won't sell, piracy or not. Expect purveyors of crap to blame everything except their own lack of talent.

kojiro7
January 28th, 2009, 10:19
27?
Wtf you want englishboy?

Accordion
January 28th, 2009, 10:40
Wtf you want englishboy?

continue.

Darksaviour69
January 28th, 2009, 20:32
Unfortunately this topic has moved from disscussion to a Flaming thread, and so

Thread Locked