PDA

View Full Version : Gamers More Likely To Be Surly Drunk Self-Haters

wraggster
January 24th, 2009, 13:54
Put on your tinfoil hats boys and girls, it's time for another study that proves something about video games and the people who play them.

A new study shows that regular gamers are more likely to drink alcohol or use drugs than others, and that gaming deteriorates relationships and that the people who play them to suffer low self-esteem issues.

Oh, did I mention that the study was done by four professors at Brigham Young University by researching the habits of 800 students through an online survey?

Why should that matter?

BYU is a private university owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which requires that their students adhere to a strict honor code which mandates behavior in line with Mormon teachings. That means no extra-marital sex, or use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, tea or coffee.

The fact that the study comes out of a university with such a strict code of conduct doesn't mean that the findings or interpretation of the survey results are skewed, but it is certainly something that should be kept in mind.

I'm also not a big fan of what appears to be their surveying method: Having people fill out a form online after receiving an invitation or reading a newspaper ad.

http://kotaku.com/5137884/gamers-more-likely-to-be-surly-drunk-self+haters

Gene
January 25th, 2009, 06:02
I believe the researchers are looking at this the wrong way. It should be something to the tune of "excessive use of drugs and alcohol, may lead to prolonged video game sessions."

Classic reverse causality.