PDA

View Full Version : Psix For PSP Released - Lite version Downloadable

wraggster
February 2nd, 2006, 01:53
Naoneo (http://www.psixonline.com/) has released the PSix Project, heres the details:

" It's finally here!, we are proud to present to the psp scene, Psix, This not only marks the release of psix, but the beginning of a revolution, high quality visuals with high quality coding seemlessly merged to provide the user with the most fluid home-grown software experience ever!
And remember, it doesn't stop here, even after release we will be working none stop to impliment more and more features, and extend psix to something absolutely uniqe!

Haven't got a psp?, that's fine!, you can STILL testdrive psix by checking out the Psix Flash demo!

I would also like to make it clear that Psix pro membership ($9.99) is not payment for psix itself, the fee is for pro membership, which entitles the user to private forum access, and access to the latest updates and advancements, months before they are added to Psix lite (which will be updated with new features). "

More info

<blockquote>Features to be included for Lite :

- Eboot/UMD Launching with Psix callback
- Fully featured audio player
- Audio player playlist with shuffle, repeat, loop etc.
- Professional skin

Features for future releases (PRO membership users only) :

- Module management system
- More skins!
- File manager
- Image viewer
- User set-able backgrounds
- CPU Speed controll
- UMD/Homebrew boot tool
- Network functionality, updating, downloading and sharing
- Video playback (may make it for release)
- Advanced boot configuration (2.00 eboot support)
- RSS reader

Modules :-

- Ski-Free
- Text reader/editor
- Notebook
- PBP (Psix Basic Painter)
- Psix Calendar/Scheduler

FAQ

Q) Can psix boot v2.00 games such as GTA?
A) Yes and No, some v2.00 required games do run from psix without update, but sadly most (Including GTA) do not.

Q) Does psix replace the Sony dash?
A) No, psix is just an application you can run

Q) Doesn't psix violate any GPLs, IPLs or TOUs?
A) No, psix operates without violating any rules and laws surrounding licenses and agreements.

Q) What's pro membership?
A) Pro membership gives you direct access to the latest developments in psix, and gives you direct interaction with the psix team for bug quishing, suggestions and idea, we will be working closely with the pro members to make psix the best it can possibly be.

Q) What do i get with pro membership?
A) You as a privliaged user, get access to the following :
- Frequent software updates
- Private members forum for discussing and suggesting changes to psix
- Access to the latest builds all uniquely built for your specific psp
- Live support for the software via IRC
- Free addons such as official skins, wallpapers, modules and tools

Q) How long do you plan on keeping psix updated?
A) We forsee given various factors such as sony's required firmware updates and general product life, between one and two years.

Q) How can i be sure some of the payment will go back to the psp community via the PDR program?
A) Honestly, you can't however i will personally ask that anyone who receives funding/resources from the PDR project, give us their username and a few words about it, so that people know if, and exactly who benefits from the program.

Q)Will the psix forum be open to the public?
A) No, the forums are for pro members only, this removes the possibility of spammers, trolls and crackers sniffing around to find someone with a copy of pro to 'leak'.

Q)Will psix lite be updated?
A) YES!, psix lite WILL be updated, however updates to psix lite will come slower than those that psix pro members have access to, the average time frame we are working with is that features from pro will slowly make it into lite after 2 or 3 months of them being in pro, so if you really do not wish to purchase pro membership, you can still enjoy the updates pro membership brings, but at a later date!</blockquote>

Download the lite version via the comments and please leave feedback on this release.

LiLxFlip
February 2nd, 2006, 02:21
how do u use the audio player because i tried to do it but it doesnt work

Illegal Machine
February 2nd, 2006, 02:22
HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!

It doesnt work at all!

I tried BOTH the 1.0 and the 1.5 files and I get a bunch of BS saying not enough memory

whatever guys GREAT RELEASE!! I hope you get all your money MUAHH AHAAAHA HAHAHA HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

awesome

CeramicMonkey
February 2nd, 2006, 02:25
hey now, at least they're trying. it is a nice concept. and i'm sure that one of the "pro" members will slip us the releases the second they are out, so that whole thing will be shot to hell...quick.

Illegal Machine
February 2nd, 2006, 02:28
this is true monkey very true

all things come to those who wait

JadaBloom
February 2nd, 2006, 02:30
Honestly I can't see the selling point in this piece of homebrew i.e. (What would actually make you wanna buy this?) I'm all for devs and the great work they do but this honestly is just a shell that offers nothing that I can't already do without having the shiny shell\gui it offers. I mean honestly what's the benifits if any on buying this as I can't see none. There was so much hype behind this yet it offers nothing I can't already do (quite a rip off if you ask me). I must say it's great they put their time and efforts into something like this but nothing sells me on it. Will future updates include something I can't already do w/o the shell?

Sorry for the negativity but this honestly just baffels me.

TheEmulatorGuy
February 2nd, 2006, 02:52
Bunch of ****, I should report them to Sony for selling unsigned and illegal code. Yes, all homebrew is illegal - it violates the agreements the user must agree to before using the PSP.

Unsigned code = illegal. Selling it? You wanna end up in court? ***holes. Next time make your WHOLE homebrew free to the public like it should be, stop money-scabbing.

flingo
February 2nd, 2006, 03:01
I hope that the pro version is working better than the lite. if fluff did release a fake, that's pathetic...

flingo
February 2nd, 2006, 03:11
Bunch of ****, I should report them to Sony for selling unsigned and illegal code. Yes, all homebrew is illegal - it violates the agreements the user must agree to before using the PSP.

Unsigned code = illegal. Selling it? You wanna end up in court? ***holes. Next time make your WHOLE homebrew free to the public like it should be, stop money-scabbing.

Last week, i did say that on the first psix post and some guys told me that i'm idiot.Now i can tell them, enjoy your psix shell :D

Cronos1388
February 2nd, 2006, 03:12

You sir are an idiot. Sony can't do anything about homebrew as long we're not pirating. You don't *sign* any agreement. The user manual(which I did not receive since I purchased my PSP used) says that using homebrew violates your warranty. Meaning your PSP is no longer under warranty.

How is unsigned code illegal. Go read the law before you start quoting it. According to your arguement even free homebrew is illegal.

FYI, the homebrew is free. Your paying for support and faster updates not the actual program.

Since you know so much about the law and how it works. Report Fluff to Sony. I want them to send him a cease and desist order. They won't.

Cronos1388
February 2nd, 2006, 03:13
Last week, i did say that on the first psix post and some guys told me that i'm idiot.Now i can tell them, enjoy your psix shell :D

That's funny since I called that idiot an idiot.

miemt11
February 2nd, 2006, 03:16
PSP hang while, i pause a mp3

TheEmulatorGuy
February 2nd, 2006, 03:18
The PSP is exploited to run unsigned code. Exploited. That, my friend, illegal. I am prepared to be called an idiot; I don't care.

JadaBloom
February 2nd, 2006, 03:22
Hey honestly if they wanna sell it that's cool and great they deserve some money for the efforts they put into the work they do as programing is an aggravation and is very time consuming but I just can't understand the worth of this product is. It's just beyond me your paying for a pretty skin that's it I mean why bother. Now on the other hand if they can update this thing with something useful as a 2.00+ UMD loader (not ISO). I'd be all for it as I'd love to play new games and keep my 1.5 firmware rather then buying another psp just for the sole purpose of new games. I'd love to have my cake and eat it as well =) I don't mind buying games and having great homebrew would be a great medium. But this product doesn't offer anything near that I mean again I say why would you wanna buy something when you can already do what it offers for free (The shiny gui?)

LiLxFlip
February 2nd, 2006, 03:24
HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!

It doesnt work at all!

I tried BOTH the 1.0 and the 1.5 files and I get a bunch of BS saying not enough memory

whatever guys GREAT RELEASE!! I hope you get all your money MUAHH AHAAAHA HAHAHA HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

awesome

i think that ur files are hidden so the corupted data wont show. thins happened to me and now it works

bandit
February 2nd, 2006, 03:30
Yea, I couldnt get it to work either. I get the "not enough memory" message.

Nevermind, I got it to work.

flingo
February 2nd, 2006, 03:36
You sir are an idiot. Sony can't do anything about homebrew as long we're not pirating. You don't *sign* any agreement. The user manual(which I did not receive since I purchased my PSP used) says that using homebrew violates your warranty. Meaning your PSP is no longer under warranty.

How is unsigned code illegal. Go read the law before you start quoting it. According to your arguement even free homebrew is illegal.

FYI, the homebrew is free. Your paying for support and faster updates not the actual program.

Since you know so much about the law and how it works. Report Fluff to Sony. I want them to send him a cease and desist order. They won't.

When are you gonna understand that if you selling any homebrews, specially something like a shell and sony can sue for illegal commercial competition or simply to help the piracy with an iso loader. That's what happen to Bleem, even napster. Also you can't distribute any altered file without a license. this is not from me but from the copyright law: hombrew=public domain. the psix pro shell is not an homebrew because that's not free in the law definition.

Illegal Machine
February 2nd, 2006, 03:46
i think that ur files are hidden so the corupted data wont show. thins happened to me and now it works

are you kidding me? you have to install this POS with corrupted icons?

you MUST be joking! and they want money for the pro version?

I hope these guys get herpes

Anger
February 2nd, 2006, 03:46
Small message for those waiting for the 'paid' for version to be released - dont expect it to work on your psp - hes using your psps mac address to authenticate your bought copy.
now i know that this is fairly easily hackable depending on how he goes about implementing it but it does mean there will be a longer wait even after its leaked.

i for one dont think we should be paying for pro membership just to get access to a product that should be like all the other shells that do the same - and they are free (@ fluff: your not actually selling the pro version but as the only way to get the pro version is with a pro membership that indirectly means you <u>are</u> selling it)

and for those wanting proof that he is coding the program to each buyers psp, go to the buy page and look at the list of requirements for purchasing. also see below (c&p alert)

IMPORTANT!! : During the payment process, please provide the following information in the "Additional note" box :
- Your Desired username
- Your Desired password
- Your main email address
<b>- Your PSPs MAC Address (Click here to find out how to get your MAC address)
NOTE : Please provide you MAC code exactly as it is displayed, in All-Caps, and including the :, eg: 00:E0:AE:32:2A</b>

flingo
February 2nd, 2006, 03:57
That's funny since I called that idiot an idiot.

you are the best :p , you never post anything about me here http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17609&page=5&pp=10

lilvietquoc
February 2nd, 2006, 04:23
man....a umd (NOT .ISO) loader wud be so worth the download
i mean a v2.00+ umd loader
becuz i got this demo in the mail the other day from sony er...something
and i wont let me play it unless i upgrade to v2.50
so a loader wud be very usefull
DAMN B***ARDS

AtariFreek
February 2nd, 2006, 04:27

Indeed This Thing Is GARBAGE!!! Who Would Download This Peice Of ******************* %$!@E#%$#****?????

Illegal Machine
February 2nd, 2006, 04:52
yea I agree...

this IS garbage.

maybe if it came with a tutorial on how to make custom icons, or anything for that matter

its kinda 8u115h1t as it is now ESPECIALLY since it would be the only program I would never use that had a corrupted icon no matter what!

tell me thats not some kind of sick twist

bobnickelson
February 2nd, 2006, 05:00
Small message for those waiting for the 'paid' for version to be released - dont expect it to work on your psp - hes using your psps mac address to authenticate your bought copy.
now i know that this is fairly easily hackable depending on how he goes about implementing it but it does mean there will be a longer wait even after its leaked.

i for one dont think we should be paying for pro membership just to get access to a product that should be like all the other shells that do the same - and they are free (@ fluff: your not actually selling the pro version but as the only way to get the pro version is with a pro membership that indirectly means you <u>are</u> selling it)

and for those wanting proof that he is coding the program to each buyers psp, go to the buy page and look at the list of requirements for purchasing. also see below (c&p alert)

IMPORTANT!! : During the payment process, please provide the following information in the "Additional note" box :
- Your Desired username
- Your Desired password
- Your main email address
<b>- Your PSPs MAC Address (Click here to find out how to get your MAC address)
NOTE : Please provide you MAC code exactly as it is displayed, in All-Caps, and including the :, eg: 00:E0:AE:32:2A</b>
I knew that i wasn't the only person that thought of this(before when psix was just starting out i remember they sent the demos to testers and made it specific for their mac address), It makes me laugh when everyone is saying that they will just wait for a leaked version, as if they didn't take any precautions.

DraconumPB
February 2nd, 2006, 05:53
how is 'exploiting' the PSP illegal? has there been a law stating that we can't take apart the psp and/or write our own code for it?

exploiting windows, for example, is a different story... when you open the package, the CD is usually sealed with a EULA or whatever that states that you can't reverse-engineer the software, or something like that. But no such agreement exists for the PSP... that's nonesense.

planetusa
February 2nd, 2006, 06:38
(taken from my web browser topic)

*rant*

I understand that a web browser is a wanted piece of software for the PSP, we want it, you want it, but you have to remember, we do this in our SPARE TIME, WITHOUT PAY, and in some cases what we receive in return are complaints and whining?

Every single piece of homebrew is there only because somebody wanted to do it, not because they were obligated.

Complaining about the lack of downgrader for >2.0, or that release dates get pushed back, or about a bug which hassn't yet been fixed makes you look childish and causes everyone to ignore everything that you say.

If you want homebrew, you can write it yourself, or you can support the developers (not necessarily through donations and such, but kind words, congratulations, etc)

How many developers have you yet to thank today for the wonderful homebrew you're using? Go...right now, send them an email, and let them know you love them.

You want to report a bug? Do it kindly, don't whine. You want to ask a question? Ask it in a civil manner, or don't ask at all.

It's called kindness......which is why we code.

Try it.

*end rant*

Michael

spumiglia
February 2nd, 2006, 07:11
I don't know how to start a selected song in the audio player, i try to click on play button but nothing to do!
Help me plese.
Thanx
Antonio

MZeroEW2
February 2nd, 2006, 07:22
Yes it is illgeal i talked to a sony rep about this stuff and they said it violates the user agreement,hence the firmware updates, aslo a SNES emulator running on there system for instance is way bad, SONY can get sued big time for having NINTENDO licensed software running on there system. so SONY said it them selfs it's illgeal

F9zDark
February 2nd, 2006, 07:25
Yes it is illgeal i talked to a sony rep about this stuff and they said it violates the user agreement,hence the firmware updates, aslo a SNES emulator running on there system for instance is way bad, SONY can get sued big time for having NINTENDO licensed software running on there system. so SONY said it them selfs it's illgeal

And you expect us to believe that? Its called Interoperability. Read about it.

TheEmulatorGuy
February 2nd, 2006, 07:43
If you want to find out whether I am wrong or not, go read the User Agreement that came with the PSP.

DrSarcasmo
February 2nd, 2006, 08:59
Right on, Michael. It really seems the large percentage of this scene is comprised of whiners. I feel bad for homebrew developers because I see a lot of folks complaining and not giving back some thanks and props where they are due.

I'm not supporting Psix as it's not something I need. But I do give the developers props for making it in the first place.

And of course the legion of other homebrew coders who come up with the emulators and homebrew games we play with.

Without you coders, we'd be stuck playing with what gets released on UMD.

THANKS GUYS!!!

DrSarcasmo

Shazz
February 2nd, 2006, 09:09
Whatever if it is illegal or not, this code violates BSD and GPL licenses. It reuses code that cannot be reused for any profit (ELF loader).

So this guy should be in troubles....

PeterM
February 2nd, 2006, 10:14
I don't believe the GPL license actually stops people selling what they write. They just have to produce the source code, making it possible for anyone else to compile the code for free.

Shazz
February 2nd, 2006, 10:56
Ok, selling (and modifying) parts of GPL protected code don't need the initial authors agreement (real question :D) ?

GPL extract
4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.

T-2000
February 2nd, 2006, 11:25
i dont really see the use in this program, but thats there fault for going on about money and not actually saying what it is, not what it does...

indstr
February 2nd, 2006, 11:58
guess what? PSP already has a GUI. why would it need another? and one that costs money? what the HELL is the purpose of this program?

syrusch
February 2nd, 2006, 12:43
For me this stuff do not nedd to pay cos it's an PSP OS like so i would not pay for this. Shame on Fluff ... selling this is a shame.

Linkmar
February 2nd, 2006, 13:09
Psix creators are so naive. they aren't real developers. PSP OSS - yeah! REAL DEVELOPERS. real dvelopers don't need money to show their skills.

flingo
February 2nd, 2006, 13:51
Fluff has a bad reputation from sonyxteam read this http://www.sonyxteam.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23

we can't expected so much from Fluff, just wait and see :cool:

10shu
February 2nd, 2006, 14:37
yeah... psp oss is the same thing for free... psix was hot 6 month ago...

pepegomez
February 2nd, 2006, 15:44
i ****ing hate such noobs who sell homebrew!!!
stfu i wont pay for anything, if u dont implement a anticopysystem or what ever, there will be enogh ppl who crack this shit and release it for ppl like me!

kill the commerce!

planetusa
February 2nd, 2006, 16:01
i ****ing hate such noobs who sell homebrew!!!
stfu i wont pay for anything, if u dont implement a anticopysystem or what ever, there will be enogh ppl who crack this shit and release it for ppl like me!

kill the commerce!

You need to grow up....

If a developer wants to charge for something they CERTAINLY have the right, and it's people like you who cause developers like me to be given pause (so you know, I'm one of two people working on the PSP web browser, Eclpise) and we question whether we even want to develop for ungrateful people such as yourself.

Take a look at redhat.....is linex free? Yes, it is. Can you get the exact same operating system somewhere else for free? Yes you can. Can you get their support, and all of the other things elsewhere for free? No you can't. You will have community support, certainly, but a hold-you-hand type of support? No.

If a developer puts their spare time, long hours, years of coding experience into a project only to be met with comments such as yours, it's no small wonder that a lot of homebrew developers have abandoned the fight because of scriptkiddie ungrateful "noobs" such as yourself who don't appreciate anything that's done. When was the last time you thanked a developer for one single piece of homebrew you're running right now, vs using it, and complaining when it doesn't work?

Take a look at bottle water. Can you get water elsewhere? Free? Usually.

Why do you buy the bottle water? Because it offers you something the other doesn't, perhaps taste, perhaps the lack of dysentery, perhaps something else. You BUY something you can get for free because the bought version has something superior(usually).

If you don't want to buy it, that's fine, but don't spout stuff like this, or one day you may just find the homebrew scene dries up, and the only new programs coming out are the ones you write with your own fingers.

Michael

seventoes
February 2nd, 2006, 17:53
I COMPLETELY agree! I know how to program in C++, and i know that it is not easy... in fact ive never finished a real game... lol.... But if a developer wants to charge for a program that they have spent countless hours using THEIR PERSONAL TIME that they could very well be doing something else, like something fun, but no, they decide to code a program for people who want it. They dont need it, they want it.

People like planetusa and AnonymousTipster who are working on such an advanced project like Eclipse deserve a little compensation for using hours of their time to make it.

Once you learn how to program and you create your own web browser FROM SCRATCH and give it away for free, then you can complain about people selling homebrew. Untill then (yeah right) you just sit back and wait you ungratfull little bastard.

bill00000
February 2nd, 2006, 17:58
You need to grow up....

If a developer wants to charge for something they CERTAINLY have the right, and it's people like you who cause developers like me to be given pause (so you know, I'm one of two people working on the PSP web browser, Eclpise) and we question whether we even want to develop for ungrateful people such as yourself.

Take a look at redhat.....is linex free? Yes, it is. Can you get the exact same operating system somewhere else for free? Yes you can. Can you get their support, and all of the other things elsewhere for free? No you can't. You will have community support, certainly, but a hold-you-hand type of support? No.

If a developer puts their spare time, long hours, years of coding experience into a project only to be met with comments such as yours, it's no small wonder that a lot of homebrew developers have abandoned the fight because of scriptkiddie ungrateful "noobs" such as yourself who don't appreciate anything that's done. When was the last time you thanked a developer for one single piece of homebrew you're running right now, vs using it, and complaining when it doesn't work?

Why do you buy the bottle water? Because it offers you something the other doesn't, perhaps taste, perhaps the lack of dysentery, perhaps something else. You BUY something you can get for free because the bought version has something superior(usually).

If you don't want to buy it, that's fine, but don't spout stuff like this, or one day you may just find the homebrew scene dries up, and the only new programs coming out are the ones you write with your own fingers.

Michael

I think the reason this project is taking so much flack is because there are a lot of very polished homebrew applications which have seen a lot of releases and updates. You can't release a buggy demo and say, "Oh, the full version costs..."

Look at paint.net, openoffice, VLC, 99% of emulators, anything on sourceforge. Many developers, working for long hours for donations only. Then you're expected to pay for an eboot loader that freezes when you try to pause an mp3.

If this post hadn't said anything about money, the comments would be more along the lines of "looks promising", "keep up the good work", etc. If you want to charge for a final version when it's polished and gives us something the PSP can't already do, by all means, charge for it (and if it played divx files I'd pay).

I'll agree there have been a lot of childish comments, but I saw it coming as soon as this was posted.

PlayingKarrde
February 2nd, 2006, 18:01
The PSP scene doesn't deserve any releases at all if you ask me. People need to grow up and live in the real world for a while and then maybe they can appreciate what is given to them. Until they find a way to give appreciation and think before they act, I don't think they (or is it we?) deserve anything.

I am sorry to say I can honestly see the homebrew scene on the PSP dying soon. Who would want to develop for such people??

planetusa
February 2nd, 2006, 18:12
Who would want to develop for such people??

Agreed.....though I'll continue to do so.

Yes, those projects(vlc, ooo, paint.net) are free, but they are ALSO supported by donations, usually grants from free software foundations, the government, and such. My main problem is the "whining" when there is a bug or something. Comments like:

"OMF, this is such a piece of **** soft, it doesn't work, I hate it etcetcetc"

*sigh* Back to coding.....

Michael

Solo761
February 2nd, 2006, 18:20
Then just add to credits/about of the program something like this:

Have fun using this app, unless you are (your favorite whiner here)

:)

kitset
February 2nd, 2006, 18:50
my cat's called mittens...

Athlonman74
February 2nd, 2006, 19:04
planetusa, I couldn't have said it better myself. Odd thing is, I haven't heard about Eclipse, any screens of it yet? This has me really excited... :)

As for PSIX, I love it and I'm looking forward to future enhancements, and yup, I paid the $9.99 PRO fee. It's a small price to pay the future of PSIX, the possibilities are endless.

Complaining about buggy software??? Go write it yourself if you think you're that much better. I write software for a living, and you NEVER have a 100% clean working piece of code on first release let alone an application like PSIX, unless of course it's "HELLO WORLD". All this scene has done is wine and complain about the FREE homebrew...GROW UP or tomorrow there just might not be homebrew.

flingo: about link on SonyxTeam about Fluff, looks like they where proven wrong to me...not to mention that article was from OCTOBER...another whiner site from the looks of it...

Look forward to the day when Fluff figures out how to set PSIX as startup and it loads instead of the standard PSP OS...it may or it may not happen, but if it does happen, atleast I can say I was there from the beginning with my support...

TheEmulatorGuy
February 2nd, 2006, 20:00
It wont happen unless he modifies the Firmware.

Oh, and the people who say he has the right to sell it... no, he doesn't. I'm not going to bother with this. I'm sick of arguing with talented coders about what is legal and what is not. I at least thought that they'd use their high amount of intelligence to READ WHAT I TOLD THEM TO, but instead they counter me with their OPINION.

planetusa
February 2nd, 2006, 21:39
First....legal and right are two different things.

Morally, he has every right to modify a device he personally owns. He created the software, he can charge for it if he likes, morally, ethically, and every-ally speaking. It was his time put into it, that it a chargeable service from any point of view.

Secondly
(there is NO eula when you first turn on the psp, and what kid is going to read their manual? it's not legally binding ESPECIALLY if he, or anyone using the PSP is under 18, and therefore homebrew is completely legal, if you'd like to challenge me on this, find a lawyer, I'll pit mine against yours) Homebrew is not illegal. What IS illegal is piracy, which some homebrew applications allow, but not homebrew itself. I can prove this upside down, backwards, and sideways.

Michael

Skye
February 2nd, 2006, 23:25
Agreed, homebrew is completely legal. As planetusa stated, as well other people in this thread. It's not like Windows where you have to agree to a EULA to use the product. The EULA comes with the manual and is not legally binding because you are not required to agree with it to use the hardware/software that makes up the PSP. If you buy hardware you can modify it to your hearts content (software included), as long as you aren't cracking/reverse engineering Sony copyrighted software doing so.

Secondly, he can not however sell the program legally, so instead he is selling the support etc which like it or not it is legal anyway you look at it. Now, I'm not sure about using GPL licensed code in his program (and not releasing the source), because we don't have source to look at. We'll have to leave that to someone who can prove he is using GPL licensed code.

Personally I'm not going to buy it, but I don't disagree with him wanting it to be paid for. He said his share is going to be invested back to other coder via donations, whether he does is up to him. If you don't want it, don't buy it. That's your right.

And, for anyone wanting to argue that he can't give a pro version out and claim it's for the support/forums he can and it's within his rights.

By the way, TheEmulatorGuy we are not countering this with our opinions, this is the law. Unless you live in a country that would let a corporate entity have that sort of power over you, but the United States doesn't. This has been discussed endlessly in other forums before (NGEmu) it's nothing new. I'm not trying to bash you but I think you are going the wrong way about arguing your point of view. The second people start to disagree with you, it seems like you just get angry instead of posting calmly.

scarface350
February 3rd, 2006, 00:08
do you know what really ticks me off about you dam people the most, its the people that say things like " omg u all are stupid kids ill gladly Pay 10 bucks" or " ur probally a 13 year old", you know what you people need to stfu. Yes i am 14 years old and age has NOTHING to do with the problem. I personally cant pay for a program lke this because i dont have a paypal account. and i wouldnt pay for it anyway because the program just doesnt suit my needs. But what i hate is when those types of people act like they support the developers and act like they are "" MATURE "" they end up doing the exact opposite of those things. SO STOP TRYING TO PRETEND THAT YOU ARE A MATURE INDIVIDUAL AND STOP STEREOTYPING THE PEOPLE THAT ARENT 18 BECAUSE

1) IM SURE MOST OF YOU WHO DO THESE THINGS ARE UNDER 18 TOO

2) I BET MY MONEY THAT MOST OF YOU PEOPLE IN HERE WHO FAKE MATURITY DONT PAY ANYTHING AT ALL, YOU JUST LOVE TO ASS KISS AND TRY TO GAIN AN EGO.

And lastly, I agree that sometimes the people in the scene become morons, But in this case the main discussion of this shell is the payment issue. People are just announcing their opinion on why it should be free. Now as i have stated before i dont think that you should pay for this app because

1) EVEN THOUGH hes making a membership service for updates and all that, he is STILL selling homebrew, which wasnt authorized By sony, the ones who manufactured the machine, in other words, it is illegal.

2) for the most part i just dont feel like paying 10 bucks for a homebrew app which MIND YOU is 1000 years to early to face PSP-oSS( a free shell ), SIMPLY BECAUSE I CANT :) .

SO THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE DAMN PEOPLE WHO SPEAK THEIR MINDS IT IS THE FAKERS WHO GO AGAINST THEM WHEN THEY ARE JUST PLAYING THEMSELVES. :rolleyes: . anyway i just felt i had to say something because this is wat im sure really pisses people off, Now i am sure that there are actually people who donate, contribrute to the scene Developers, but for the fakers, PLEASE just stfu becuase you are only playing urself. Just my god damn 2 cents

planetusa
February 3rd, 2006, 00:22
@scarface:

You're right, age has nothing to do with it. We're really more talking about legality and morality. From a legal standpoint, anyone under an 18 year old in the US cannot enter into a legal agreement(which anything preventing the development of homebrew would certainly have to be)

But that wasn't meant as a point anyway.

Though sony did in fact manufacture the machine, they do not in fact, own it any longer. You do. This is not a "licensed" piece of hardware, what you choose to do with it is your legal right, as long as you do not break laws (hack with it, cause property damage, etc).

Reverse engineering is in fact completely legal.

Directly profitting from reverse engineering is however not.

With that said, what we have here is what's considered clean-room reverse engineering. The creator of PSIX did not do any of the reverse engineering him/herself. Instead, they read the documentation of someone else who did the actual reverse-engineering to create an implementation based upon that.

I haven't even tried PSIX, probably won't buy it, and probably won't try it until it has a feature that blows me away, as is the case without almost all of the homebrew out there. I use it if I need it.

I'm not sure if you were directing your comments towards me, but I am in fact a developer, of one of the most anticipated projects out there, Eclipse (the web browser).

If you're going to make comments, please, keep it clean, don't use crude language, there are other ways to get your point across.

Michael

Skye
February 3rd, 2006, 00:37
The point I am trying to make is first it's not illegal. He is selling a membership to the forums this is just a perk of being a member (I didn't say it isn't shady just not illegal) IGN does the same thing. Second, if you don't like it then don't buy it and stop complaining. Also, the theory that one person charging for homebrew is going to kill the scene and tear the fabric of space and time is stupid. So people just need to stop using that one.

I personally donated 10 dollars to yoyofr and overdrew my bank account over it. Cost me 30 dollars plus the 10 I donated. =(

pepegomez
February 3rd, 2006, 01:51
I COMPLETELY agree! I know how to program in C++, and i know that it is not easy... in fact ive never finished a real game... lol.... But if a developer wants to charge for a program that they have spent countless hours using THEIR PERSONAL TIME that they could very well be doing something else, like something fun, but no, they decide to code a program for people who want it. They dont need it, they want it.

People like planetusa and AnonymousTipster who are working on such an advanced project like Eclipse deserve a little compensation for using hours of their time to make it.

Once you learn how to program and you create your own web browser FROM SCRATCH and give it away for free, then you can complain about people selling homebrew. Untill then (yeah right) you just sit back and wait you ungratfull little bastard.
its totally ok that u want to sell ur games or what ever. but not homebrew. thats why its called homebrew!

mog
February 3rd, 2006, 02:25
Q) Can psix boot v2.00 games such as GTA?

A) Yes and No, some v2.00 required games do run from psix without update, but sadly most (Including GTA) do not.
?
does that mean that this program will let 1.0 & 1.5 psp's run umd games that require higher firmwares???
i'd pay for that! :p

planetusa
February 3rd, 2006, 03:11
@pepegomez:

That's NOT why it's called homebrew. It's called homebrew because it's not made by a game studio. It's called homebrew because it's a DIY type thing. Like homemade beer is called homebrew.

@mog:
Yes, but it's limited in which games it supports. Methods are being worked on in other places to make games work, but it seems almost every game has a different reason it doesn't work. Hence why loaders are made and hacked into the iso.

Michael

romz.rr
February 3rd, 2006, 06:34
The truth about Fluff aka naoneo
Posted on Lundi, octobre 31 @ 23:55:26 CET
Topic: SonyxTeam News
SonyxTeam News
Here is what Fluff aka naoneo wrote in ********** today:

3) I don't want to wake up at some point next week to see Yoshi and SXT releasing "SXT-OS beta" and claiming "omg its all our code we just used fluffs idea!" Razz

We do not like false acusations, and therefore we will make a statement in order to defend oursleves

Here is what you should know about Fluff:

- He comes from ps2nfo (I don't know exactely what he did there since I don't waiste my timer in such crappy websites.

- He started a project called pspos (I am not totally sure about the name) (the sources are located in ps2dev.org) it was a crappy graphic interface with a pointer he got fired by the team's project (even if he doesn't state so) and the project was stopped.

- Then he claimed he created most of the pspos project and wanted to create his own project called psix, he gave awesome pics of it (probably photoshopped), leaked fake videos and said he was gonna implent mp3 and video player etc etc etc....

- We didn't hear much of it, until he claimed he released a beta version (there is no proof there has ever been one) and asked for donations (a reliable source told us that he got at least about 800 USD in his paypal account used for donations)

- Then in order to get more donations with paypal and as he couldn't continue his psix project (he wasn't skilled enough for that and got stuck) he performed some lame hex hacks on the psp firmware rco that even a kiddie could have done (such as removing the waves, changing the icon's name, the displayed version......)

- Then knowing it was the beggining of the end, he said that he stopped his project and as he couldn't release even a single beta eboot or sources, he just blamed us for that and gave his lame excuse that had been posted as news on ********** !

We don't even care about his lame source, we have never been interested into creating a shell, and we never asked him to release them, but at least if he was honest (whitch I doubt he would just release an eboot so everyone can test it (and see how crappy it is)

All fluff cared about was to get your money from the paypal donations !

What did you expect ? Did you even think it would be possible for a single man to creat a shell featuring, mp3 player, divx player, iso loader, webcam monitor and lots of awesome stuffs... as naoneo (aka Fluff) stated ?? Of course not !

In my opinion Fluff doesn't worth more than alonetrio.

Where the hell is the eboot ???!! Why can't we test it, or at least have some proofs ??? (because there are none of course....)

And please **********, check how reliable are your sources before posting news (that are no more than a huge flamming by the way)

You blame us for alonetrio's donation, when you have a huge scammer in front of you and not only you can't see it, but you give him more honour than he would ever deserve !

I personnaly think this whole scene has just gone crazy, and I really hope it'll calm down.

A personal note to naoneo:

Did you really think we would'nt answer your post after saying crap about us ?....

If you really want to go pay this thief go ahead and be stupid...

Nothing else needs to be said about that idiot...

Fluff you are the biggest disgrace to the scene and should get bent..

Quote sourced from

http://www.sonyxteam.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23

F9zDark
February 3rd, 2006, 07:44
Why do you fools keep quoting SonyXteam's site? If yall remember Yoshi's bid to get donations to finish up the downgrader which never came from him, when he said it would you'd certainly stop quoting that site.

And to all you kids in here, get a ****ing job you layabouts. I had a job at 12 because my parents refused to buy me anything. My 2 PSPs? Yep I worked my ass off for them. My mommy and daddy didn't hand them to me on a silver platter.

Once you start earning your money you realize how important your time is. Now take into consideration that all of the homebrew developers not only work in the real world, or attend school or both(if you are me), but on top of that, they are spending their free time to produce software for everyone to use.

Now, lets do the math here, assuming that they work 40 hours a week and goto school full time, which is about 8 hours a day for 2 days, if not more depending on the course load. Then homework, which is about 1 hour per credit hour. So about 13 hours of homework in the week(and this is being conservative). Thats 69 hours a week spent on necessity. Then factor in 8 hours of sleep a night which is 56 hours a week. So all in all, thats 125 hours in the week, that are all accounted for already.

A week has 168 hours in it, which now 125 are already consumed. So that leaves the developer 43 hours of free time. And where are friends and family in this mix? What about the girlfriend? What about the person's hygiene? What if the person has pets, or a house or a car? All things that take away from the free time.

And you mean to tell me that you are going to cry and complain about a developer charging for program updates and support? Now take away from the free time, the 20 hours a week the developer will definately spend on supporting his work on the forums and website. This doesn't even include the time he is going to spend making his program better.

If you have problems with paying for service then quit your bitching. Would you complain if your car needed work? If your friend can get 70 dollars an hour fixing cars, why should he fix yours for free?

Same principle here...

planetusa
February 3rd, 2006, 18:42
My friend, when developing 'brew, 8 hours of sleep just doesn't happen.....

Michael

planetusa
February 3rd, 2006, 18:44
he performed some lame hex hacks on the psp firmware rco that even a kiddie could have done (such as removing the waves, changing the icon's name, the displayed version......)

You can't SERIOUSLY believe this crap? You can't turn a (and hex edited? come one, that's the worst crappy lie ever) hacked firmware into an eboot. You can load it with MPH....but this is just.....if you're gonna lie, lie believably or look like at idiot.

Michael

PlayingKarrde
February 3rd, 2006, 21:32
I lost all my respect for sonyXteaM a long time ago. I feel they spend more time arguing and fighting publicly with other developers than doing anything of any worth. They need to handle themselves in a more dignified manner and for me, they are just as bad if not worse than those people who moan about bugs in code, because people actually listen to these people (ashamedly).

As for the whole legality issue, I'm not sure why people are getting on their high horse about this. Is everyone here super clean? No one downloads MP3s? Is the best homerew app on the PSP, snes_tyl 100% legal? Yes it is. But how many here have a few or more commercial roms for it? Still legal? Perhaps you should ask Nintendo about that. Just don't go quoting the bible if you're sleeping with the whores as well.

I don't really care if this guy charges for it. He isn't directly charging for the software so covers himself on that count, and the app doesn't do anything to make me want to buy it so if he wants more and more people to give him money he needs to make the app more and more useful. And when people have given him money then he is obligated to provide what he has promised, no excuses, or their money back. This should make the app better and better and if not then don't bother buying it. If the app did anything that I really needed then I would for sure pay 10 bucks for it. But not a promise that it will eventually do something useful.

A 100% no problems full speed snes emulator, now that I would give money for. A 2.0+ game loader perhaps as well. Anything else, well I highly doubt.

Fluff
March 8th, 2006, 05:32
Hate to dig up old threads but i feel i should comment and clear a few issues over here that people may have had.

Firstly, the information posted by Sonyxteam was pretty much entirely false, in a reaction to a joking stab at them over something quite pointless, things like i came from ps2nfo.. well i joined there a long time ago and was banned on my first post because the modchip i was asking about wasnt one endorsed by them :), various other "facts" they posted were either entirely made up or wrong.

Anyway back on topic, first and foremost, the version we released isn't very functional, and has a problem when scanning for homebrew if hidden foldersnames are used, we will be updating the public build soon to support hidden foldernames, as well as removing the size limitation on mp3 now we have it stable, maybe even enabling the image viewer if we can resolve the bug with the preview resizing of large images.

Basically we charged $9.99 for pro member access, as a way to have a solid userbase of people who will actually give us worthwhile feedback on the program and its updates, suggest ideas to us that we could use with future updates and so on, the payment for pro membership access isn't to buy the pro version of the app, it's to be a part of the applications creation.
That said, you are given access to unstable/beta builds before new features are added to the public build, many people see this as "selling the beta for $9.99", however, it isn't, we learnt from the time developing it, that a large majority of the psp scene are disrespectful, and quite inconsiderate children, and we did not want to trawl through countless idiotic posts and emails, to get to actual bug reports or decent suggestions, and i am pleased to say that right now it's working wonderfully, we have had good communications with almost all pro members and been able to discuss and rethink many aspects of psix that has led to things being changed.
There has not actually been a new release for the pro members yet at this point as a large ammount of our time was devoted to resolving any legal issues and setting up the audio codec (which uses libmad, read on for more info), to be able to play any sized mp3 you can fit on your memory stick.

Initially we had issues such as Shazz contacting me reguarding the usage of FA++'s eboot loader, which thankfully since shazz is an understanding guy, we have worked out, there had always been an issue with using libmad in psix, which is why we opted to make psix module based, putting the audio codec in it's own module, and to comply with GPL, the sources and binaries of both the eboot loader and audio module, are available via email request on the site, and all releases that contain gpl code will be made with the appropriate GPL documentation.

Though currently not much more functionality has been added (mainly because we spent so much time focusing on mp3, not reserving 7+mb for mp3 and being ale to use only 512kb has improved functionality of alot of things), we have made other improvements with psix, and mapped out the plans for the comming months, made a relatively accurate mock for the pro users to see just how their ideas and our plans will pan out in future.

http://www.lostnovice.com/xsix.jpg
This is a mock of how things WILL look in the next few months, this is both the ongoing development into improving the shell, and the feedback we have received from our members reguarding usability.

- Fluff

Cap'n 1time
March 8th, 2006, 14:45
thanks for the explination fluff (and excuse my bad spelling).

pepegomez
March 8th, 2006, 18:59
this is one of the reasons why sony should kill homebrew. they are ****ing making money with homebrew! in the so called normal version u just get stupid useless functions like those mentioned in this normal version...this is jsut ripping ppl not more not less

Fluff
March 8th, 2006, 22:12
this is one of the reasons why sony should kill homebrew. they are ****ing making money with homebrew! in the so called normal version u just get stupid useless functions like those mentioned in this normal version...this is jsut ripping ppl not more not less
Charging for priority support and beta access, as well as the ability to influence the applications design is not "selling homebrew", the public, read, FREE version will be updated when added features become stable, so if you do not want to pay for priority privlidges, then you can simply wait.

If charging for access to betas and priority support is ilegal then someone better take microsoft to court too over their msdn :P

cr_nxh
March 9th, 2006, 02:31
lol fluff got it on the nose.. had to give a remark to that being that i hover these forums on a daily basis.. might as well make an account to agree with em.. btw i love psix.. **** what everyone says including them stupid ****s in #psp-hacks on their proper server.. i still till this day havent gotten to use the pro version but from what I can see this is going to be the best shell.. them punks in #psp-hacks claim psp-oss to be a whole lot better in ever way but still await for them to prove me wrong.. long live psix.. if i had 10 bux in the bank i would join the pro team.. but at this moment in time im struglin just to keep my comcast cable up.. good luck with what your doing fluff and ignore all the haters.. my 2 cents

Fluff
March 9th, 2006, 15:41
them punks in #psp-hacks claim psp-oss to be a whole lot better in ever way but still await for them to prove me wrong
They just hate because they tried to crack the mac protection over 5 weeks ago, and still havent managed it :)

cr_nxh
March 9th, 2006, 22:12
is that the reaseon why their so caught up in their own madness? i havent heard them say anything but you can't crack it.. im sure its possible (no offense to you or anything) but maybe their just dummies? im gonna try to sign up for your service soon.(hopefully)

finalfantesy
March 23rd, 2006, 14:18
buy pro everything works!

romz.rr
March 23rd, 2006, 14:22
Naw smart people will download this:

http://www.pspcrazy.com/?page=Story&id=566

For free and whole lot better unlike fluff's shitty work.

DaGamer
April 26th, 2006, 23:03
You need to grow up....

Michael

Thank you and everyone who made homebrews avaliable for us!

and only ungrateful losers complain, and this is a really interesting shell, thank you fluff, keep up the good work.

no comment on charging money, he said if u dont wanna pay u can still get the full version. just later, so stop whining!

and stop discouraging programmers, cuz of u ppl the psp homebrew world is shrinking!

heres the words i want all programmers to hear:
even tho theres so many complaints, there are also so many compliments, i sometime sees a great program but at places can't reply and forget about it when get home, so now i speak for all the ppl who couldn't or didnt say anything, thank you guys
very much!