PDA

View Full Version : ps2vice 1.22 (PS2) - Commodore Systems Emulator for PS2

kranoldweinreich
January 26th, 2009, 13:17
Release of ps2vice-1.22.
Vice emulates the C64, the C64DTV, the C128, the VIC20, almost all PET models, the PLUS4 and the CBM-II (aka C610).

New features:

- Upgrade to vice-1.22.
- Use the analog joysticks on your PS2 controller pads as joysticks.
- Mass storage device support.
- Autostarting P00 files supported.
- True drive emulation somehow working.
- Config files (change default settings without recompiling.
- Ask for confirmation when quick loading/saving snapshots (optional).
- New keyboard for C64 (from PSPVice).

Sorry for the strange targz extension, this forum doesn't support tar.gz or even tar.bz2 attachments.

Georg

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

wraggster
January 26th, 2009, 16:04
thanks for the news/release, i must actually add those extensions to the file upload thing

Starscream
February 23rd, 2009, 13:59
Thanks for this release, I just tested it for a while. True drive emulation increases compatibility significantly.
There seems to be a controller bug however, if you disable the analog joysticks, the fire key stays on the digital pad, and doesn't move to the cross button.

Also, I was wondering if there's a chance you might be able to enable a saving feature to mc/mass in the future (instead of snapshoting only to memory) and/or writing save games to disk on mass/other writeable media, since without such a feature, a number of (mostly RPG and strategy games) aren't really playable.

nutsymtom
February 23rd, 2009, 22:22
Hi everyone!
Is it possible to run this emu (or make it able to run) on a PS3 (60gb pal) via swapmagic and psxloader ? :confused:

Junebug
March 2nd, 2009, 19:53
This is good work, well done!

What are your plans for Save States to MC? I don't know if you are working on a feature list but how about these:-

(1) Memory Card (or USB/HD) save states
(2) Palette Selection (i.e. Frodo)
(3) Emulation speedup. True Drive emulation can be slow, an option to increase by increments of 50%

Once again well done - let us know if you are considering any of the above.

nutsymtom
March 3rd, 2009, 12:23
Hello again! ;)

I play around a little with the Files. On my PS2 it works fine from mass via ulaunch3.41(starting the X64 file). Doing the same thing on my PS3, it hangs up while loading sjpcm.irx (the red window says so). I try it with launchelf3.41, ulaunchelf4.38 psxloaoder0.8b and swapmagic3.6+.

maybe its useful

kranoldweinreich
March 3rd, 2009, 21:41
Hi,
thanks for the interest.
At the moment I don't have time to work on it, but I'll look at it in several weeks.
I don't own a PS3, so I can't test.

c_h_r_i_s
March 17th, 2009, 21:37
Thanks a lot, Georg, for this huge improvent to PS2Vice. I had almost given up my hopes of ever being able to play (the C64 version of) California Games on the PS2.
Still I wonder why the third SID voice is missing in the California Games intro (percussions are missing). Interestingly, after I switch the SID filters off and on again while the music is playing, all three voices are there. (PSPVice has exactly the same problem.)
Another problem in many games is that the true drive emulation slows down the emulation speed even if there is no drive access (e.g. while Surfing in California Games or while driving in Hot Wheels). Do you think you can do something about that? A simple fix for both issues would be to trigger the SID filter switch with R1 and toggle true drive emulation with R2 (or other buttons, should these two already be in use, I haven't checked.)

Chris

Addendum: The 'one voice missing' bug occurs with fastSID only. When reSID is selected, all three voices are there. The reSID emulation, however, has a different bug, causing a short disruption in the music every ten seconds or so.

Junebug
April 13th, 2009, 21:09
Hi kranoldweinreich,

Regarding saving states to MC or MASS: the emulator PS2InfoGB has had some development regarding save states which you may be able to use:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/official-ps2infogb-forums/61166-ps2infogb-revisions-by-karasq.html

PS2Vice already saves a state to memory, yes? Would it be possible to use PS2InfoGB routines to "write" the contents of the save state from memory to MC: or MASS: ? PS2InfoGB uses 28 character file name plus the ".sav" extension. When loading PS2Vice it could check the .sav against the .d64 filename and load on L2 button press.

You could also use the config file you have already created for PS2Vice to store the savefile location. (MC: MASS: HDD:)

Just a thought.

Thanks

spiderman3141
April 24th, 2009, 22:42
Works Great! Keep up the good work. I used to love my old C64! The only thing missing is a save to MC. That would be awesome.

kranoldweinreich
April 25th, 2009, 09:32
Here's a short how-to (Jerry asked for it):
Compile ps2vice-1.22 on a Windows machine

You need to download gshi_ps2sdk.7z from
http://gshi.org/vb/showthread.php?t=3097

and ps2vice-1.22.targz

- unpack gshi_ps2sdk.7z inside c:
- unpack ps2vice-1.22.targz (I unpack it to c: here, too)
- run c:/msys/1.0/msys.bat (now you should have a msys console running)

The following things can be done from any file browser (just copying files), or from the msys console:
- go inside /c/msys/1.0/local/ps2dev directory and
- copy ps2lib/ee/include/fileio.h to ps2lib/ee/include/eefileio.h
- copy ps2sdk/common/include/io_common.h to ps2lib/ee/include
- go into /c/ps2vice-1.22 directory
- copy src/config.h.ps2 to src/config.h
- copy src/version.h.ps2 to src/version.h
- copy src/resid/siddefs.h.ps2 to src/resid/siddefs.h

This must be run from msys console (inside /c/ps2vice-1.22 directory):
- make -f Makefile.ps2

*wait* *wait* *wait*

and to reduce the size of the executables
- make -f Makefile.ps2 strip

Georg

sousa_sil
May 7th, 2009, 04:53
Very good this version, I wanted to know how to write and run, if the burn program ps2vice-1 [1] .22 _bin in the dvd with the roms, if the program is ready to be recorded, if not how to proceed?
:thumbup:

kranoldweinreich
December 25th, 2009, 20:14
Hi there,

a new release. Includes a minor fix regarding settings read from configuration file (and not shown in menu) & save snapshot to disk or usb or memory card.

Have fun!

Junebug
December 26th, 2009, 00:27
Excellent work kranoldweinreich! Everyone with a PS2 and a love of the Commodore 64 should rejoice at your hard work!!

Well done and Thank you!

aries2k4
December 27th, 2009, 02:44
Nice work, Thanks
and thank you for the instructions on how to compile.

mazxim
December 27th, 2009, 10:50
Hi there, Kranold!
Thank you so much for this Christmas gift :-)
I noticed that Viceteam have reached 2.2 release version of their emulator. Why not to try to update too the port version? I think Vice gained a lot since 1.22, at least in compatibility.
Greetings and salutations!

Starscream
December 27th, 2009, 16:21
Does the new snapshot feature actually work for anyone? It does create .sav files for me, but they always fail to read, no matter if from mc0 or mass. The fitting images are loaded in the emulator of course.

wraggster
December 27th, 2009, 16:25
thanks for the release, nice to see the PS2 get some much needed updated ports :)

stefano40
January 25th, 2010, 11:56
I have installed ps2vice 1.22b, too. It writes a snapshot to MC or USB but I could not load it. Does anybody have a clue ? Iwould love this feature...

kranoldweinreich
January 25th, 2010, 19:24
Please
a) upgrade to ps2vice 2.2:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=279224
b) autostart your saved snapshots as you would autostart a disk image

bruce_lee_
August 27th, 2010, 00:46
yo all, heres how to burn ps2vice on a dvd instead of cd. (warning: i didnt have any luck using imgburn or sony cd/dvd generator). so instead, load NERO, and when the 'new compilation' window appears, choose 'dvd' and pick the 'DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO)' option. in the 'multisession' tab choose 'no multisession'. in the 'ISO' tab choose 'ISSO 9660+Joliet' for the file system. for 'file name length' choose 'Max. of 31 chars (Level 2)'. for 'Character Set', choose 'ISO 9660'. for relax restrictions, choose 'allow path depth of more than 8 directories', also choose,'allow more than 255 characters in path' and also 'allow more than 64 characters for Joliet names'. next, on the 'UDF' tab, leave it set as 'Automatic settings'. on the 'Label' tab, leave it as 'Automatic' and put in any Disc Name you want for your dvd. on the 'Dates' tab just leave it alone. on the 'Misc' tab just leave it alone. on the 'Burn' tab set your write speed (try to burn slow, eg. 4x maximum). ok now click the 'New' button and you go into the nero file browser. simply drag into this window your PS2Vice files. you may also add a dummy file, but make sure your dummy file is less than 2gb or you will have problems (you could always add two dummy files, each 1.5gb if you wish. note: if using a dummy file, drag this into the compilation window FIRST, and call your dummy file something like 0.0 (zero.zero) to ensure it is burned FIRST in your compilation). ok when you are ready now simply burn your disk (slowly) and you will have a qorking ps2vice DVD instead of CD! finally, i am still using vice 1.14 because i notice with the newer versions i had some crashes and some games not loading. so if you also experience problems with games not loading, simply use vice 1.14 instead.

itslukew
April 20th, 2015, 08:30
How do I download the emulator? Sorry, I'm new.