PDA

View Full Version : DSibrew? - Homebrew On the DSI Without a Flashcard ?

wraggster
January 26th, 2009, 20:58
Bushing (http://hackmii.com/2009/01/dsibrew/) one of the guys behind WiiBrew has posted this rather interesting article:

Nintendo recently began selling their next-generation handheld console, the Nintendo DSi. I picked one up on eBay from Japan, since they will not be available for sale here in the US until April.

Why did bushing buy a new DSi, especially given the fact that he’s turned his DSlite on maybe 3 times and he can’t read Japanese?

Because of the awesome pix, of course!

Bunnie did the first real writeup of this thing, which was enough to encourage me to buy it. I, of course, took it apart and nearly broke the thing (blew a fuse) while trying to dump the flash on it; I didn’t succeed.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ay5b81.jpg

The reason this device is interesting to me is that the DSi seems to be to the DS what the Wii was to the GameCube. The DSi has two modes — a “native mode” and a “compatibility mode”. In the compatibility mode, the clock is slown down to half the speed and access to the new peripherals is disabled — sound familiar? In the native mode, you get a faster clock and more RAM — used to perform the real-time face recognition and image processing shown above — as well as an SD slot and two cameras (front and back-facing). The device boots up into a “System Menu” that is fairly reminiscent of the Wii.

Oh, did I mention that it has a Shop Channel where you can download apps, like Opera? And you can download firmware updates online? Hey, guess what — we can download firmware updates online!

TMD:
Versions: 0, CA CRL 0, Signer CRL 0, System 0-0
Title ID: 00030015-484e464a ('\x00\x03\x00\x15'-'HNFJ')
Title Type: 0
Group ID: '01'
Access Rights: 0x00000000
Title Version: 0x500
Boot Index: 0
Contents:
ID Index Type Size Hash
00000002 0 0x1 0x66a400 d1 25 16 d5 5e b8 49 1d 8d 5e 77 a9 4d c7 7c c7 df 7a 54 79The ticket and contents are downloadable in the same way. Unfortunately, they aren’t reusing the same common key, so we can’t actually disassemble anything (yet). Although they’re probably reusing much of the ES code from IOS, they probably fixed the blatant flaws that allowed us to rip the key and fakesign.

Now all we need is someone to step up to the plate and grab the new key!

wraggster
January 26th, 2009, 20:59
homebrew without a flashcart would be awesome :)

ChaoticanarchyX
January 27th, 2009, 02:16
It would certainly make things easier for this side of the fence. Too bad big N is all about the green :(

ndstal
January 27th, 2009, 02:55
so can we use old nds and nds lite homebrew on a dsi if we have a dsi flashcart?, or would we have to wait for the new homebrew to come out?

luminouslight
January 27th, 2009, 11:57
so can we use old nds and nds lite homebrew on a dsi if we have a dsi flashcart?, or would we have to wait for the new homebrew to come out?
No current nds lite flash cart will work for the dsi.

spinal_cord
January 27th, 2009, 13:03
Current DS flash carts don't work on the DSi, there are a handful of flash carts that work on the DSi, but they can only run DS homebrew, nobody has made anything that runs in DSi mode yet.

NeroMaverick
January 27th, 2009, 20:39
You're going about hacking the DSi all wrong, all you have to do is put in Twilight Princess, and stick the homebrew channel installer on the SD card... I mean if it works for the Wii then it'll work for the DSi too, since the DSi works like the Wii...:D

Seriously tho, can't wait to hear about the great news when this thing gets hacked. Can't wait for faster running more compatible emulators... and the fact we wont need a flashcart to run them.:thumbup:

Good luck to everybody taking on hacking the DSi

btw... the first part was a joke, I'm not really that ignorant.:p

ndstal
January 27th, 2009, 23:50
thanks for the answers but i didn't ask if the other flashcarts work i just wanted to know if the homebrew did

spinal_cord
January 27th, 2009, 23:52
thanks for the answers but i didn't ask if the other flashcarts work i just wanted to know if the homebrew did

Oh, sorry, in that case, yes. You can run nds/ndsl homebrew on a DSi (there is no such thing as DSi homebrew yet).

ndstal
January 28th, 2009, 01:36
Oh, sorry, in that case, yes. You can run nds/ndsl homebrew on a DSi (there is no such thing as DSi homebrew yet).

thanks i'm pretty sure theres gonna be less homebrew coming out for dsi than nds and ndsl but it will be better quality like more music stuff and more picture stuff and maybe video stuff thats why I want dsi

Dragonic
January 28th, 2009, 16:27
Huh? What about Acekard 2i and DSTTi? Isn't that flashcarts for Nintendo DSi?

spinal_cord
January 28th, 2009, 16:56
Huh? What about Acekard 2i and DSTTi? Isn't that flashcarts for Nintendo DSi?

They are DS cards for the DSi. They are detected as DS cards, all they do is get past whatever Nintendo have done to stop flash carts.

ndstal
January 28th, 2009, 23:54
oh yeah can someone post some pictures and recordings from the dsi so people can see what the quality is?

ndstal
January 29th, 2009, 03:17
They are DS cards for the DSi. They are detected as DS cards, all they do is get past whatever Nintendo have done to stop flash carts.

sucks for nintendo they made a new system to try to stop that and it didn't even get to the usa and we already have flashcarts

Dragonic
January 29th, 2009, 14:46

Oh, I see. I didn't think right there :P. Well, I hope they'll hack the DSi in some way so you'll be able to use homebrew apps without buying a flashcart.

nintendopetey
February 14th, 2009, 23:05
there is such a thing as dsi homebrew