PDA

View Full Version : :eek: Nincest progress

PSmonkey
February 2nd, 2006, 23:11
:eek:

Eek indeed. Our fellow monkey Wally has discovered something interesting. He has found a way to make waverace 64 show the n64 logo. It's a rather interesting hack. Whats going on is waverace progresses far enough to setup the n64 logo into the framebuffer but then haults on an unemulated opcode. So by supressing the unemulated opcodes for now the emulator is able to loop long enough for the video code to force a vsync and make the emulator draw the framebuffer to the screen. So why does this matter? It shows the emulator can progress further then originaly though. It does not mean we are close to running comercial roms yet but it does mean with a little more work we could start seeing more results.

So we will have to see how things progress.

So huge credit to wally for finding the hack & $n!pR for his continual testing of the emulator for me.

-- info about protest --
Well my protest turned out interesting. It's still an on going project that I will continue to push for (to get sites like ********** & dcemu to get along for a change). Yet I have still desided to take nincest on as a baby project wile i am still hard at work on iris, once maybe iris is futer along i will dedicate more to getting ninsest furter along to start running mario 64. So we will have to see how things go in the future.

Thanks to all who suported the protest & the scene.

--edit--
Now this post comes with a free pretty picture. Mmmm thats lovely. I sudgest framing it.

DPyro
February 3rd, 2006, 00:13
Heheh ya! Bomberman screen is blurry too but it does something wierd as well :rolleyes:

Nullity
February 3rd, 2006, 00:22
Nice one guys another step closer to smash bros 64 on the psp *drools

Its guys like you who have inspired me to start coding, just did hello world ! (baby steps :P )

Thanks for your efforts btw Iris is looking great can't wait to see what you bring to the scene in the future (be it political or homebrew)

Cheers
Nullity

Smiths
February 3rd, 2006, 01:04
yo, Monkey. I support your stance, think it's nice to get public on it.. but uhh.. when two sites' underlying reasoning for doing what they do differ in such a great way (Homebrew enthusiasm vs. Profiteering), there's no way you can co-exist.

If it was say, Emuholic and DCEmu pissing off eachother, then yeah... that sword can be buried with time.

P$PU has always been in this for $$$, bottom line.
DCEmu has never been in this for money; affiliation and ads are just part of the network like they are on all homebrew sites.

Don't count on any "truce"; it can only happen when that $ite decides to **** off and leave the homebrew community to the enthusiasts.
Instead of praying on the ignorant.

But keep it up, I do like the picture of a N64 logo on a PSP.

Mustang
February 3rd, 2006, 01:12
Marvelous !

Well done chaps, it is indeed a beautiful sight.

quzar
February 3rd, 2006, 01:45
Nincest has always been able to run the waverace logo. GPF fixed nincestDC's video specifically so that the colors would be right for the logo.

AtariFreek
February 3rd, 2006, 02:15
Sorrtyr If Myee Typinfhdg IS Messyghy I Justsf DROOLED Alok Offer Thef Keyboarrd. Seriously Though, GREAT F****** JOB!!!! Also, O.T. but Iris Is Still The Best Thing Out There And I Have Now Idea How You're Going To Improve Something Thats Already Perfect!

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 02:35
Nincest has always been able to run the waverace logo. GPF fixed nincestDC's video specifically so that the colors would be right for the logo.

I am not fully sure but I had issues with running it on my old builds up untill recently. Anyways I am pushing things along more then a straight foward port. I started out with firedemo at 1.5fps. I now have it at around 2.1/2.2fps. I am also fixing alot of the tlb instructions to get other things further along (a few are buggy or missing).

Mysteryman
February 3rd, 2006, 03:34
Its so beautiful.

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 07:29
heh, Good news & Bad news.

In the pursuit of pushing this emulator along I started to modify alot.

The good news is I got Pong (PD) running and starting to show something (but a total mess atm) yet at the same time waverace now crashes (the bad news). Anyways hopefuly i can fix both tomorrow.

now time for bed (2:30am est atm).

LiNKZiE
February 3rd, 2006, 14:06
I can't belive my Eyes... WOW this is indeed great news, Keep up the great work PSMonkey (= (=

Nono-O
February 3rd, 2006, 16:03
I hope you realsed a new version =D

silvershadow
February 3rd, 2006, 16:36
sounds exciting. good luck on this. since we already know that nothing cant emulate n64 properly yet, its best that u dont follow a direct port. im glad to hear the angle your taking this at.

by the way, psmonkey, i put u as a referrer when i signed up, dont know what that does, lol.

Fanjita
February 3rd, 2006, 18:40
yo, Monkey. I support your stance, think it's nice to get public on it.. but uhh.. when two sites' underlying reasoning for doing what they do differ in such a great way (Homebrew enthusiasm vs. Profiteering), there's no way you can co-exist.

If it was say, Emuholic and DCEmu pissing off eachother, then yeah... that sword can be buried with time.

P$PU has always been in this for $$$, bottom line.
DCEmu has never been in this for money; affiliation and ads are just part of the network like they are on all homebrew sites.

Don't count on any "truce"; it can only happen when that $ite decides to **** off and leave the homebrew community to the enthusiasts.
Instead of praying on the ignorant.

But keep it up, I do like the picture of a N64 logo on a PSP.

Nice to have a bit of positivity... Have you actually followed what PSMonkey is trying to achieve, here?

Vampyronight
February 3rd, 2006, 19:52
Great work PSmonkey. It's because of coders like yourself that make the PSP homebrew scene so worthwhile. Please keep us informed. :)

Smiths
February 3rd, 2006, 23:44
Nice to have a bit of positivity... Have you actually followed what PSMonkey is trying to achieve, here?

Followed it since the beginning of developing.
It's hopeless and I just don't want him to get too angry about it.

It's not pessimism, Fanjita, it's reality of the situation.
Alterior motives drive the "factions"; nuh gunna happa.

Besides, I'll just come out and say it anyway: theory is they bought your ass anyway. Or at least shine up your wang nice and clear as they on their knees waiting for your posts :)

Not to say I don't appreciate your work, but you see the problem PSMonkey faces in his mission statement when you've got this kind of stuff still propigating the "scene".

Jeff Chen and their staff still abuse the Wiki by posting the wrong release URLs (points only to P$PU's story, not the homepage. This morning posted a link to their "snes9x coming soon?" story in the RELEASES part of the Wiki.)

PSMonkey has a noble cause, but nothing has changed since the beginning. They still take credit from authors and pray on ignorance of Japanese people to the scene like they did in the beginning with the stolen translations and the posting of anything.

Sorry Fanjita, I've read everything PSMonkey said over and over and have followed the threads on both areas.
It's too much fluff coming and not enough "here's the real people involved and here's some examples".

**** vagueness.

PSmonkey
February 4th, 2006, 01:15
God I was sleepy last night. I end up staying home today from work because I felt like total crap this morning at 8am (a mix of being sick still & build up of a lack of sleep).

Anyways Waverace64 actualy still does work. I though i broke it but it works fine now. I also found today a few opcodes that are what I called implemented unimplemented opcodes. Meaning he started but commented out the code so the PC just loops that opcode for ever. Well thats about it for now.

Smiths,
I put alot of vague things because I did not feel right directly flat out calling someone out. Still the people in question came out and admited to things. The only person i am needing to come out and openly talk is wraggster who has been absent from msn lately.

Mobius
February 4th, 2006, 02:41
ok please just forget about the bloody politics that are f**king up the scene. do what you do best and enjoy it. thats all that matters. that you have fun and enjoy what you do. you can't let others mistakes take you away from something you enjoy doing. so i say press on. and good luck. i hope to be a proud user of your program in near future.

Wally
February 4th, 2006, 03:58
Yes i did exactly as PsMonkey said. It was not terribly hard, just removing debug entries following some opcodes and it worked.. :)

Please dont be idiots. You are humiliating everyone and it disgusts me.

Thanks

P.S Please be nice we are attempting the impossible and would just like everyone to follow us. At least we are trying to do this as 1000's of people said NO!! and never wanted to talk to us again..

DPyro
February 4th, 2006, 04:16
Hey Wally. Was gonna send you the new version but your never online :D

kyus
February 4th, 2006, 04:28
I see what psmonkey's upto, and I agree with him. I'd like to see jeff and wraggster put their differences aside. In all honesty however, Jeff Chen is a profiteering wang, and i've watched some pretty serious asskissing from him over on the ******* forums anytime a talented coder comes around. Fanjita, you can back me up on this right? ;) I'm not saying theres anything wrong with this particular tactic. It guarantees "exclusive" news. Saying that, the announcement of a new TYL, and the nincest announcement, it took Chen 2 days to catch on.

Look... lets all agree on something.

The psp is the first homebrew console that recieves maximum scope and has a MASS AUDIENCE. No homebrew enabled (portable) device has had that honour before. There is much larger appreciative audience out there, and the scene will only continue to expand, despite these silly disagreements. Some of you still claim the scene "died" when the iso loaders made their appearance last september. Funny coincidence is that universities, schools and colleges go back then too, and that the lively months for the psp scene occured during summer break.

The psp scene is the strongest scene of them all. It has no competition, and it will only grow as more coders open their eyes to the possibilities and power of the console itself.

I'm learning to code as well. My project is going to be more important to me than anyone (a new monsterland game) although I'm shuffling along at baby steps for now.

I've probably just typed a whole lot of crap, and for that I apologise, but there might be some agreeable stuff in here. Fanjita, psmonkey, pacmanfan, Tinnus, Yoyofr, laxer3a, E, Y, sougen and anyone I'm forgetting... the scene is you. Not the sites who post your news, or the boards filled with overly critical obese furrie lovers... its you. Rise above all that crap and enjoy the scene. Peace out.

Festizzio
February 4th, 2006, 05:44
I see what psmonkey's upto, and I agree with him. I'd like to see jeff and wraggster put their differences aside. In all honesty however, Jeff Chen is a profiteering wang, and i've watched some pretty serious asskissing from him over on the ******* forums anytime a talented coder comes around. Fanjita, you can back me up on this right? ;) I'm not saying theres anything wrong with this particular tactic. It guarantees "exclusive" news. Saying that, the announcement of a new TYL, and the nincest announcement, it took Chen 2 days to catch on.

Look... lets all agree on something.

The psp is the first homebrew console that recieves maximum scope and has a MASS AUDIENCE. No homebrew enabled (portable) device has had that honour before. There is much larger appreciative audience out there, and the scene will only continue to expand, despite these silly disagreements. Some of you still claim the scene "died" when the iso loaders made their appearance last september. Funny coincidence is that universities, schools and colleges go back then too, and that the lively months for the psp scene occured during summer break.

The psp scene is the strongest scene of them all. It has no competition, and it will only grow as more coders open their eyes to the possibilities and power of the console itself.

I'm learning to code as well. My project is going to be more important to me than anyone (a new monsterland game) although I'm shuffling along at baby steps for now.

I've probably just typed a whole lot of crap, and for that I apologise, but there might be some agreeable stuff in here. Fanjita, psmonkey, pacmanfan, Tinnus, Yoyofr, laxer3a, E, Y, sougen and anyone I'm forgetting... the scene is you. Not the sites who post your news, or the boards filled with overly critical obese furrie lovers... its you. Rise above all that crap and enjoy the scene. Peace out.
I completely agree. That's all I have to say. :eek:

PSmonkey
February 4th, 2006, 17:28

Actualy regarding my emu they cought on the first day. They just stayed away from it all till recently. If you did not notice. Clay finaly posted it on the front page saying "ball is in your court wraggster."

kyus
February 4th, 2006, 18:05
That i didn't notice... impressive stuff psmonkey :)

I think we'll see a lively summer for psp this year. One thing I've been told we'll never see however is Sega Cd. I could never understand that until I realised that you'd have to be running a megadrive emulator and a sega cd emu all at once. Anyway.. that's irrelavent.

psp-spot and psp-hacks tend to deal in the shadier side of the psp, not that I'm complaining, I download full tv series from psp-spot, but I'm thinking that psp-hacks will have a hard time of it from now on, as I don't see any more iso loaders coming anytime soon. humma kavula and the devhook guy disappeared practically. Full psp emulation on pc isn't gonna be likely either, as five years down the line, they're still struggling with ps2. The scene is now in a better state than it was from august to october. I don't suppose sony will be able to patch the gta loophole, nor do I suppose they feel they need to. Gamers are getting what they want from psp without the threat of them losing money to iso users.

I can't wait to see both a finished version of iris and some progress on nincest, and I hope at some point in the future, you'll give my game a go as well. Whilst I'm here, I may as well tell my current plans.

-Monsterland V-

I'm planning on having a gorgeous 2d adventure, much like the older games, but with vastly improved graphics, 3d effects, a musical score composed by myself, full voice acting provided by myself and four of my friends from RSAMD and a huge (updatable) world with new quests. I have alot of help already, and currently i'm learning to code, while at the same time I'm working on concept-art, sprite design, plot and character motives. My brother is constantly designing armour, boots, weaponry, spells and abilities, as he was also a huge fan of the previous games.

I will not however be including any elements of monsterworld IV. That monstrosity will die as it should, translated and pointless as it was.

I won't be updating on this much, as I'll only be showing when I have something I'm proud enough to show. That may be next year. Ths probably means nothing to you guys, but on the offchance there are any fans here, they may smile.

I would do my best to encourage you to stick wonderboy in monsterworld on your psp and play it with dgen or psp genesis, or even its turbografx cd counterpart, the dynastic hero. Dragon's curse on turbografx would be a great recommendation too, as it is the improved wonderboy III, the dragons trap for sms and gg.

I've sold my part :P now I'll leave it to you guys.

middlemaniac
February 5th, 2006, 01:11
Psmonkey i think what you do is great. When do you think the emulator will start to loads roms?

PSmonkey
February 6th, 2006, 05:54
Uggg. *sign*

Nada good to update with today. I acomplished alot but not much improved (other then pong (pd) flickers some crap at the top it did not before. :(

I pretty much spent the day going between different n64 emu src. I rewrote the tlb opcodes & writen a basic pif system based on mupen64 src.

Well here is hoping tomorrow brings better/more results. Sure I don't exspect some comercial rom to magicaly work, I just want to see less roms jumping to bad addrs or stop getting stuck in a loop (in simple terms to understand it would be 10: goto 10 loop).

shiftybill
February 6th, 2006, 06:37
keep up the good work dude

Vampyronight
February 6th, 2006, 07:25
We're still all behind you, PSmonkey! You're doing the best you can, and we cannot expect any more from you. :) I'm sure your efforts today will not be in vain.

crazyjohn
February 6th, 2006, 11:06
Your using mupen with it too??? :) hehe yeah Ive been trying to incorperate mupens R4300 sdl opcodes with it and made some progress. But never got it to compile without errors.

PSmonkey
February 6th, 2006, 14:22
Your using mupen with it too??? :) hehe yeah Ive been trying to incorperate mupens R4300 sdl opcodes with it and made some progress. But never got it to compile without errors.

becareful with mupen. I think a few of their opcodes might be inaccurate. One of the table instructions they used opcode & 0x1f where tr64 and nincest both originaly use 0x3f. Changing it to 0x1f causes star demo to stop moving & firedemo to stop displaying.

PSmonkey
February 6th, 2006, 18:34
Hey,
not much of an update but I was able to fix the jump instructions (J, JR, JAL, JALR) on my lunch break. Sadly it does not solve anything but atleast they are more like the mips doc now.

Vampyronight
February 6th, 2006, 19:14
While I have absolutely no idea as to what that means, I just wanted to say that it's great that you're keeping everyone so informed about your progress on this emulator.

As an outsider, it feels nice to be somewhat kept in the loop.

Mysteryman
February 7th, 2006, 00:14
I too appreciate you telling us how your project is going, Im highly interested in like everyone else. And thanks for taking all this time to work on it. We all appreciate it a lot.

DPyro
February 7th, 2006, 01:26
The N64 emulator is progressing slowly. Once one piece of code is fixed, more pieces need to be fixed. Having problems with looping and a lot still needs to be emulated. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Note: It took years to emulated the N64 properly on the PC. Though theres a place of reference to look at now, it could take awhile. :)

Vampyronight
February 7th, 2006, 02:38
Note: It took years to emulated the N64 properly on the PC. Though theres a place of reference to look at now, it could take awhile. :)

I don't have years- get that coding monkey back to work! ;)

DPyro
February 7th, 2006, 02:39
Never said it would take years. :rolleyes:

Vampyronight
February 7th, 2006, 02:44
True....fine, I shall alter my statement.

I don't have 6 months- get that coding monkey back to work! :D And tell him to do it without the attitude or don't do it all!

DPyro
February 7th, 2006, 02:51
Lol. He's busy right now ;)

Wally
February 7th, 2006, 02:53
The coding monkey is at work 24/7.

The Phone monkey is answering all his calls so dont bother trying to ring or you will hear a shreek

The Sniper monkey snipers bad betas and people who are impatient

The Wally monkey is waiting for something cool to happen. (Piece of the earth blows up)

DPyro
February 7th, 2006, 02:54
Lol. He's pretty busy, but I'm sure he gets sleep. :p

PSmonkey
February 7th, 2006, 15:07
Ermm, no major progress last night. I added more opcodes (bust-a-move keeps pushing for more opcodes), fixed a few read/write opcodes & cop1 opcodes. I sadly broke fire demo yet again but I think some stuff is more accureate now.

I talked to lac for a bit last night. I seems mario64 & other games are getting stuck because of the lack of interupts (n64 was heavly based on the idea of using threads, so mario is getting stuck in an idle thread when an interupt should have triggered another thread). So I will get going on interupts soon and hopefuly that should show more progress soon.

Vampyronight & others like you,
Calm the feck down. This is no overnight project. I want to see n64 games running on the psp as bad as you guys do but you have to realise things wont start working over night. On top of this I have a busy life between work & gf but every free second I got I have put into this project (I even spend my hour long lunch working on this insted of going away from the pc for a break).

So all just chill mmmkay? :)

BrokenWing
February 7th, 2006, 16:35
Congrats PSmonkey, I've been hoping someone would work on a N64 Emulator for the psp. I will be awaiting your progress both on Iris and the N64 Emuator. Good Luck, we see good things in your future.

NeoXCS
February 8th, 2006, 00:32
Wow, PSmonkey you're so dedicated to this emulator. I also love how you continue to update the people on the forum of whats going on with the emu. This is a big step up for the psp homebrew community! :) Amazing work my friend! :) Good luck!

PSPdemon
February 8th, 2006, 00:42
Incredible!!!

You've made so many things that seemed impossible come true!!!

you are making good progress with the N64 Emulator...and hope to soon seen a release on Iris ( want to make more progress on my mod :D )

Don't take away your lunch break for the project...i've learned that if you dont eat...youll not be at your fullest thinking power later on ( in other words you might make stupid mistakes....kinda like i did with my model that has taken me 5 weeks to finnaly convert when i could have acually converted it in a week :P )

Wish you the best of luck on both pieces of homebrew delight.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Vampyronight
February 8th, 2006, 01:12
Errr...I think the sarcasm of my last two posts were lost on ya PSmonkey. I totally support you getting this to work and understand that it will take a long time (if ever) to get it working fully. My hat is off to you.

pkmaximum
February 8th, 2006, 04:32
Good luck i support someone who is working this hard at a project. Everybody dreamed of having n64 on the psp. Because this will be the first portable n64 really cause Nintendo Ds sucked bad, and i think everybody agrees with me there.
But seriously good luck this is awsome and i am behind you all the way.

DPyro
February 8th, 2006, 05:31
Next up, a Nintendo DS emulator bwahahaha!!!

PSmonkey
February 8th, 2006, 14:55
Next up, a Nintendo DS emulator bwahahaha!!!

Which mario I see to mario 64 games. *evil laugh*

No no Ds emu anytime soon. It would be funny in the future if the psp can play both mario 64 and mario 64 DS via emulators (and screw the touch screen, it dont matter to play the normal game of mario 64 ds).

Wally
February 8th, 2006, 21:54
Good luck i support someone who is working this hard at a project. Everybody dreamed of having n64 on the psp. Because this will be the first portable n64 really cause Nintendo Ds sucked bad, and i think everybody agrees with me there.
But seriously good luck this is awsome and i am behind you all the way.

This is not the first portable N64

I have to admit Ben Heckerdorn (or some other haxor) has done this first but by ripping a nintendo 64 to pieces and putting it in a box.

but the point im going to make is that the battery life is not sufficient enough to run for over 2 hours

http://www.digg.com/mods/Portable_Nintendo_64_(with_How_it_was_done_pics) is one you have to find the others.