PDA

View Full Version : Nincest progress (Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP)

wraggster
February 2nd, 2006, 23:55
PSMonkey posted this news on his site:

"Our fellow monkey Wally has discovered something interesting. He has found a way to make waverace 64 show the n64 logo. It's a rather interesting hack. Whats going on is waverace progresses far enough to setup the n64 logo into the framebuffer but then haults on an unemulated opcode. So by supressing the unemulated opcodes for now the emulator is able to loop long enough for the video code to force a vsync and make the emulator draw the framebuffer to the screen. So why does this matter? It shows the emulator can progress further then originaly though. It does not mean we are close to running comercial roms yet but it does mean with a little more work we could start seeing more results.

So we will have to see how things progress. So huge credit to wally for finding the hack & $n!pR for his continual testing of the emulator for me.

More info here --> http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/

kyus
February 3rd, 2006, 00:02
Well done Wally :P None of us had a clue when you mentioned waverace in the other thread, but this sounds uber-promising. I wish you guys luck! :D

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 00:07
Small Update. Check the post on my site again. It now comes with a pretty picture.

Voltron
February 3rd, 2006, 00:17
Yes, Great work Wally. Thanks for the update PSmonkey. Appreciate it.

miemt11
February 3rd, 2006, 00:37
n64 logo. :) :)

nonarKitten
February 3rd, 2006, 01:24
Doesn't the N64 and PSP use the exact same CPU (R4000)? Shouldn't it be possible to just run the code directly instead of trying to emulate it (ala QEMU)?

kayhanbakid
February 3rd, 2006, 01:33
god bless you for even attempting this

wolfpack
February 3rd, 2006, 02:19
Wow an n64 emulator... When you guys are are able to emulate commercial roms, work on making Legend of Zelda and Mystical ninja starring goemon fully compatible cuz i just love those games to death. Maybe this N64 emulator idea will inspire someone to make a PS1 Emulator!!

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 02:20
Doesn't the N64 and PSP use the exact same CPU (R4000)? Shouldn't it be possible to just run the code directly instead of trying to emulate it (ala QEMU)?

Yes and no. Alot of the addresses and etc will have to be interperated & also the n64 suports double floating point precission where the psp only does single. This will cause alot of problems but I think a solid dynamic recompiler and interperter should alow for pretty decent n64 emulation on the psp.

The biggest thing psp has going for it vs other systems is being mips based. This will heavly help out on n64 & ps1 emulation.

urherenow
February 3rd, 2006, 03:26
and you can't forget the video and sound hardware...

CoderX
February 3rd, 2006, 04:23
You have alot of work to do and quite a few opsticals.
But it apairs that you may get this to run.

Keep it up and keep us updated,

PS. your a form shark, code is more effective then chatting

Dude if you need any resorces just pm me and ill get them to you as soon as i can.

Also there where a few windows 64 emu's made for the pc.
they where all crushed but they did make some progress.

Ill gather what i can and make sure it gets to you
Good Luck

Sterist
February 3rd, 2006, 04:48
Wow an n64 emulator... When you guys are are able to emulate commercial roms, work on making Legend of Zelda and Mystical ninja starring goemon fully compatible cuz i just love those games to death. Maybe this N64 emulator idea will inspire someone to make a PS1 Emulator!!

first off, when a commercial rom will operate, they all will..... with very very few exceptions (maybe like 1 of every 100).

secondly, there is and has been a ps1 emulator for quote some time now.. but heh.. 700mb roms.. fook that!

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 06:13
You have alot of work to do and quite a few opsticals.
But it apairs that you may get this to run.

Keep it up and keep us updated,

PS. your a form shark, code is more effective then chatting

Dude if you need any resorces just pm me and ill get them to you as soon as i can.

Also there where a few windows 64 emu's made for the pc.
they where all crushed but they did make some progress.

Ill gather what i can and make sure it gets to you
Good Luck

Cool anything you have to throw at me would be helpful. At the moment I am compairing opcodes to mupen64. The author had a op_bgezl replacing a whole set of opcodes so i am trying to correct that and add more in of that type (fixing it has caused many things to stop working atm but i think fixing it will make others start working).

Also yes, sorry bad habbit. Its just too tempting to surf the forums every hour to see whats up.

idapimp
February 3rd, 2006, 06:40
Maybe this N64 emulator idea will inspire someone to make a PS1 Emulator!!
there already is a ps1 emulator in the works. pspsone

crazyjohn
February 3rd, 2006, 14:09
The PC 64 emus were not all squashed, Project 64 is still running and works with most roms. Check it out. Maybe youll be able to use some of it as a base.

vincesecuricor2005
February 3rd, 2006, 17:21
of all the pc n64 emus i tried the only one i actually felt playable was PJ64 (project 64) dunno if that helps at all but this is a damn exciting prospect youve got goin ps, well done geeze

wolfpack
February 4th, 2006, 02:43
heh sounds like its time buy the 8gig memory stick when it comes out... might be expensive but the stuff i like to do with my psp will be worth it. :p

kyus
February 4th, 2006, 03:43
just buy multiple 2gig cards :) I now have 3. total cost to me was only £140. 6 gigs of space for the price of the shockingly bad 4gb drive. (I owned one. i witnessed its slowness and sold it on ebay a week later).