PDA

View Full Version : Iris Ideas

BrokenWing
February 3rd, 2006, 03:12
Post your Ideas on what can be implemented into iris to help it become the greatest homebrew game ever built. This game (as I'm sure many of you already know) was mostly made from scratch. A great achievement indeed.

Color Key
Red - Really Needed to help gameplay
Green - Extra Ideas
Blue - Wanted by another person
Purple - Too difficult/Won't work properly/Impossible

Here's a list of Ideas for Iris.
Note: The Developers may already be working on some of these things

Weapon Related Ideas

1. New Weapon Types
a. Shotgun
b. Machine Gun
c. Grenade Launcher
d. Rocket Launcher
e. Giant Sword (A melee weapon)
f. Sniper Rifle
g. Grenades

2. Shoot while moving

3. Explosive Barrels and some destructible objects

4. Some gore man!!! I want bodies exploding when I blast 'em apart with a Shotgun or Grenade Launcher!!! ;)

5. Some vehicles

6. Weapons
A. Pistol
B. Automatic weapons - One that doesn't shoot as fast but carries a punch, while the other shoots faster but doesn't do as much damage
C. Duel weilding one hand weapons

7. Vehicles - Something like a tank or a warthog (Halo)

8. Stationary/Vehicle Turrets

9. FPS (First-Person Shooter) Mode

10. Modifiable weapon damage

11. Actual Bullets

12. Environmental Weapons - Activating a spike ceiling on your enemy, shooting poison gas in front of them, etc

Main Game Related Ideas

1. Customizable Controls

2. Crouching and Jumping

3. Faster moving/Moving While being shot

4. Sounds, Music and Custom Music

5. Ad-hoc and Wi-fi

6. Better H.U.D., reloading weapon (Not for energy weapons), Limit ammo

7. Ragdoll Physics

8. Fall Damage (Halo 1)

9. Text or Audio chat if possible

10. A stats keeper (total kills ever done, killing sprees reached, multi-kills done, etc.) then we can compare ranks of some sort (no skill increasing ranks though...just titles)

11. Deep voice announces small awards such as double kills or killing sprees (Halo 1 and 2, Unreal games, etc.)

12. Stealing weapons from enemies

13. Melee with Firearm

14. Melee's from behind do more damage

15. Shields and Armor (Halo 1 or Timesplitters Perhaps?)

Bots, Gametype and Mod Ideas

1. Better Bot AI and choice to select difficulty

2. Tower of Power - Shotguns only, a turret is placed in an advantagous point (The tower) and two teams fight for it to take control of the it

3. Zombies - One team (green, the zombie) has 1 person on it that is equipped with a close range melee weapon. The rest on red (The humans) are equipped with shotguns. When the Zombie kills a human the human switches sides to the zombies. The last human standing is the winner.

4. A Moddable Menu
For everyone that wants to make mods of the game

5. Capture the flag, Team Deathmatch, Racing (The First halo)

6. Different support on file formats

Things that probably WON'T happen

1. A level where the character launches himself with a
parachute and fights against enemies in the air

2. A Matrix style slow motion power-up

3. A level with dinosaurs

4. Start without many powerful weapons, but later on get
a Laser Pointing device with request of bombing to a pointed area by a Planes Squadron.

5. The possibility of controlling the mind of an enemy and make him do a task (Such as killing other enemies)

6. Some ironic situations

7. Mapmaker Not Possible without restricting the engine

8. An ability to go through walls

Story Mode Ideas

1. Overall Game Idea - You have to go to planets throughout the galaxy to buy new weapons and upgrade them, earn money by defeating demons, monsters, etc., liberate every dungeon until you find the "Ultimate Power", play in tournaments held across the galaxy to earn money and do many different side-quests such as retrieving an artifact or defeating a legendary warrior or monster.

2. Replayability Factor - Be able to replay the game with all items and upgrades bought from the last time the player beat the game.

3. Co-op - 2 or 4 player Co-op

4. Another Replayability Factor - Different difficulties for Single-Player and medals for beating levels on different difficulties. (Such as Halo 1 did)

Will post more ideas at a later time :cool:
Now post your own opinions people so we can add on to the list!!!...Or I will make everyone you've ever loved...disappear...

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 04:17
all but 6 are posible. Iris is built on quake 3 and quake 3 is a rather complex system that must be precalculated. So in essence to suport map making in real time I would have to modify alot & restrict the game engine more. :(

Rest are good ideas I fully agree with and for the most part already have on my master list. :P

BrokenWing
February 3rd, 2006, 04:30
Okay, Map Maker has been edited out. What were the others that are not possible, too difficult or won't work too well with the engine?

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 06:06
Okay, Map Maker has been edited out. What were the others that are not possible, too difficult or won't work too well with the engine?

the rest seem fine. :)

sin`pl
February 3rd, 2006, 07:20
Before I begin I would like to take this moment to say...Please don't use ISO's. It really does hurt homebrew and Sony. Some people may think, "Aw this is a load of bull. How can I hurt Homebrew or Sony by downloading a few games instead of buying them?" Well, it doesn't take a scientst to figure that one out. 5 ISO's x 15,000 ISO Users = a $750,000 loss. Some of you may think that this is no big loss, but you are wrong. Sony loses money for every psp sold which can ultimately make Sony either raise prices on games and psp's or not make any more psp's again. (Think Dreamcast) So please stop using ISO's.
jesus christ! what a bullshit. do you really think that 15,000 ISO Users would really buy the game? HELL NO! so stop even talking about it. i was using a lot pc application without buying them and do you think that authors lost their money? no! i wouldn't buy these apps! heh. don't quote me.

and btw. i like these ideas.

Produkt
February 3rd, 2006, 11:59
I mean, if all elce fails... he could port the cube engine :P

!!!:::ATTENTION!:::!!!

1Time user EDITED MY POST!, BUT! He didnt tag his message, I'd never sugest a ragdoll physics engine, due to its calculations... ontop of that... its a HARD thing to emplement. The original Cube engine ISNT as resource extensive as the second version... I simple joked by saying why not support the cube engine's map editing system, the truth is, the engine creates blocks which are FAR FAR more rediculess than needed, infact you get about 5,000 polygons for an area which would only need 2!!!

or that other one.. http://sauerbraten.org/ - same author as cube.. just a touch cooler.

you mentioned when I was last active here that you were attemping to support some kind of models with skeleton support.. Is it possible then to have ragdolls? I know I have to keep in mind this isnt my ~800 mhz xbox... but possible?

BrokenWing
February 3rd, 2006, 16:40
To PSMonkey - Ok cool. I know many of these ideas are far off but what the hey right? lol

To Sin' pl - Look, I just don't want the psp to take the Dreamcast road, and yes they are good ideas :D

To Produkt - Wrong thread buddy ;) At least i think so lol (When you quoted something that isn't in this thread it looked like you were in the wrong thread) do you want ragdoll physics and the cube 2 engine put on the list?

PSmonkey
February 3rd, 2006, 18:11
produkt,
actualy ragdoll is in my mind. We should be able to add it in. If you can get your hands on the siphon filter demo (go preorder at gamestop), they have ragdoll in that.

Ps. someone get me a copy. I dont think eb is doing the preorder and thats the only thing we got in montreal. :(

BrokenWing
February 4th, 2006, 00:54
Thread has been heavily updated.
Now come up with some ideas you lazy bastards :D

PSPdemon
February 6th, 2006, 02:53
Color Key
Red - Wanted alot
Orange - Wanted some
Green - Wanted a little/Just a casual idea
Blue - Wanted by another person
Purple - Too difficult/Won't work properly/Impossible

Here's my list of Ideas for Iris.
Note: The Developers may already be working on some of these things

Multi-player/Match Mode Ideas

1. New Weapon Types
a. Shotgun
b. Machine Gun
c. Grenade Launcher
d. Rocket Launcher
e. Giant Sword (A melee weapon)
f. Sniper Rifle
g. Grenades

2. Customizable Controls

3. Better Bot AI and choice to select difficulty

4. Crouching and Jumping

5. Faster moving/Moving While being shot/Shoot while moving

6. Sounds, Music and Custom Music

7. Ad-hoc and Wi-fi

8. Explosive Barrels and some destructible objects

9. Some vehicles

10. Better H.U.D., reloading weapon (Not for energy weapons), Limit ammo

11. Some gore man!!! I want bodies exploding when I blast 'em apart with a Shotgun or Grenade Launcher!!!

12. Ragdoll Physics (Produkt)

you pretty much have the list that i am looking for.... the only other things i can think about adding is...

1.moddable menu
--- for everyone that wants to make mods of the game ( ala for everyone who wants to do a CS mod or a Halo mod :D )

2. Weapons
---pistol
---modifyable weapon damage ( like say that you have 2 different machine type weapons 1 that doesnt shoot as fast but carries a punch while the other shoots faster but doesnt do as much damage as the first one )
---duel weilding one hand weapons!!!
3. Definately Vehicles!!!
---could do somthing like a tank or somthing like a warthog

4. gun turrets

5. Maybe some capture the flag...team deathmatch...some racing like in halo one!!! ( think of the possibilities...racing side by side while the people are shooting at you to stop you from reaching the finish line. )

6. Maybe some different support on file formats ( i know...your working on it. just having problems with the conversion )

7. FPS mode ( so you can switch from first to third in a customizable control sceme )

8. all that was on the list... because the just of it is what i am looking for

the game is already looking great and i see many possibilities for it!!!:D this could become the homebrew game that makes commercial games seem like piles of ( you know what ):D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

BrokenWing
February 7th, 2006, 03:58
Finally another genius person full of ideas :D
Thank you PSPDemon, your Ideas have been added to the list.

Kaiser
February 7th, 2006, 04:08
Even though these are just ideas. It sure gets you excited about what Iris could be some day. The premier open-source PSP shooter engine. The modding possibilities are endless :D .

edit: I'm sure this could draw some attention from some of the talented modders in the PC game modding scene to.

Produkt
February 7th, 2006, 22:57
where the heck did you think I came from? :P

Former HL1/2 mapper... and Quake 1/2/3 Mapper... and... Tourque... *shudders*

kfish2oo2
February 8th, 2006, 19:03
Iris has MASSIVE potential. obviusly it has its flaws (jerky movemonts, scenaqry jump etc) but i know ur working on it and i cant wait for the next version.
Anyway, my ideas:
1) Destroyable scenary - i know its hard (maybe impossible with the PSP) but the reward is an amazing feel of realism to the game. It woulb be brilliant
2) Shooting while moving (I know thats tricky tooo but it would be wicked)
3) 2x modes - story and arcade. some people hate/love arcade and others hate/love story mode so it makes sense.

U guys should show ur project to some game companies -seriuosly, i know of alot of people who've been offered emplyment by major games companies (im talking rockstar, even SCEE) after sed companies have seen mods and homebrew. I'd also get yourselves onto some of the better known 3D modelling forums and post ur screnshots etc cause thats where alot of companies look for talent

anyway good luck with the project! its already a major acheivement, now make it even better!

ziobleed
February 10th, 2006, 19:13
a level where the protagonist lunch himself with parachute and fights agaist enemies in the air

a matrix style slow motion power like in max payne

a level with dinosaurs , first without many powerful wepons , after with :p

a laser pointing device with request of bombing the pointed area by a planes squadron :cool:

the possinility of take mind control of an enemy and control him to make some task ( like kill others enemy) like in psi ops

some ironic situations

bye!!!

chickenclaws
February 10th, 2006, 21:00
that was such a great game psi ops for Dreamcast

ziobleed
February 11th, 2006, 19:56
i intended the ps2 version , but maybe is the some game?

i also suggest to introduce some citation in the game

the important in every game ( or work in general ) is rithm so make attention to this :)

chickenclaws
February 12th, 2006, 00:27
This is my only thoughts to make iris better
1st person shooter view <fps>
Sound FX
Bullets not globs of fire (very neat thought)
Better HUD bar
ability to Run and jump

and here is a dream
A mapping system for iris <dream>

BrokenWing
February 12th, 2006, 04:43
!!!:::ATTENTION!:::!!!

1Time user EDITED MY POST!, BUT! He didnt tag his message, I'd never sugest a ragdoll physics engine, due to its calculations... ontop of that... its a HARD thing to emplement. The original Cube engine ISNT as resource extensive as the second version... I simple joked by saying why not support the cube engine's map editing system, the truth is, the engine creates blocks which are FAR FAR more rediculess than needed, infact you get about 5,000 polygons for an area which would only need 2!!!
Name in 1st post has been changed to 1timeuser...but just imagine if both could be pulled off perfectly :eek: That'd be something else

Iris has MASSIVE potential. obviusly it has its flaws (jerky movemonts, scenaqry jump etc) but i know ur working on it and i cant wait for the next version.
Anyway, my ideas:
1) Destroyable scenary - i know its hard (maybe impossible with the PSP) but the reward is an amazing feel of realism to the game. It woulb be brilliant
2) Shooting while moving (I know thats tricky tooo but it would be wicked)
3) 2x modes - story and arcade. some people hate/love arcade and others hate/love story mode so it makes sense.

U guys should show ur project to some game companies -seriuosly, i know of alot of people who've been offered emplyment by major games companies (im talking rockstar, even SCEE) after sed companies have seen mods and homebrew. I'd also get yourselves onto some of the better known 3D modelling forums and post ur screnshots etc cause thats where alot of companies look for talent

anyway good luck with the project! its already a major acheivement, now make it even better!
All has already been added before
And PSmonkey better not show his potential filled project to any famous game companies. We need him here lol

a level where the protagonist lunch himself with parachute and fights agaist enemies in the air

a matrix style slow motion power like in max payne

a level with dinosaurs , first without many powerful wepons , after with :p

a laser pointing device with request of bombing the pointed area by a planes squadron :cool:

the possinility of take mind control of an enemy and control him to make some task ( like kill others enemy) like in psi ops

some ironic situations

bye!!!
Now there's some interesting ideas :cool:

This is my only thoughts to make iris better
1st person shooter view <fps>
Sound FX
Bullets not globs of fire (very neat thought)
Better HUD bar
ability to Run and jump

and here is a dream
A mapping system for iris <dream>
1st person shooter mode has already been added
and run and jump has basically already been added.
A Map Maker would be too difficult
All other Ideas have been added now :)

Hey PSmonkey, is any of this on the list too difficult or anything? Just checking so I know if I should cross out anything.

feedback_bsr
February 13th, 2006, 11:33
Work on Multiplayer first, then single player...I've ran some game design projects before, and multiplayer is easy to implement in something like this (constant updates) to keep people happy...that way, while people are waiting for a single player campaign, they can map out multiplayer levels to keep themselves and everyone else happy! Gettit? :)

Cap'n 1time
February 13th, 2006, 14:46
holy jesus.. if i edited your post im really sorry.. all these mod buttons... always... moving :)

PSmonkey
February 15th, 2006, 02:05
Hey, what do people think about the idea of being able to change the system setup of the game. Like say you wish to run the game with more bots but it runs really slow, so insted you turn down the system settings to get a better performace (like say reduce textures, lightmaps, etc). how would everybody feel about something like that? the reason i ask is because I want to introduce bump mapping into the engine but i think in most cases it will slow things down alot on the rendering state unless I use smaller resolution textures. So what if you could go into the options and either take high res textures with no bump mapping or turn on low res textures & bump mapping. would this be reasonable?

chickenclaws
February 15th, 2006, 02:12
yeah that would be neat more options more bots the smaller texture would be neat i support all ideas that you came up with. but how about nameable custom hl1 bots and a frag board when you push select or mabey even like unreal tournament voices

PSPdemon
February 15th, 2006, 02:41
Hey, what do people think about the idea of being able to change the system setup of the game. Like say you wish to run the game with more bots but it runs really slow, so insted you turn down the system settings to get a better performace (like say reduce textures, lightmaps, etc). how would everybody feel about something like that? the reason i ask is because I want to introduce bump mapping into the engine but i think in most cases it will slow things down alot on the rendering state unless I use smaller resolution textures. So what if you could go into the options and either take high res textures with no bump mapping or turn on low res textures & bump mapping. would this be reasonable?

That would acually be great to do!!!

When i was playing around with the engine a couple of weeks ago...i noticed that when i had loaded up more than 3 bots...it starts chugging and then crashes :(

this is also good because of the ability to have big maps without having the problem of the game chugging...( or atleast i hope )...

Doin good on the progress....keep it up!!:D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

BrokenWing
February 15th, 2006, 02:50
That would be awesome to have. It'd be neat to have bigger battles with no slowdown or small battles with better resolution.

Edit: The votes are in Pedro, More Options = more tots...tots being fans of course lol

deanspeed
February 15th, 2006, 23:39
would be great for another control option where left and right are for turning left and right and square and circle are Strafe left and right. or maybe add this to the Simple Controls.

EngPSP
February 17th, 2006, 15:25
Vehicles would be soooo good!

BrokenWing
May 12th, 2006, 03:47
Hey PSMonkey, I was wondering, how many of these ideas are you thinking of implementing into Iris's next release? And thanks to everyone who posted their Iris ideas =)

diamondx
May 12th, 2006, 04:12
Im just a noob who hopes he isnt about to make a fool of himself:

What about support for bigger maps, so we can have outdoor maps that wouldnt feel like they have walls all around them?

Edit: ...and falling damage, and give the player more health/armor than the bots.

Produkt
May 12th, 2006, 04:20
We do have the ability to have larger maps, once you see what is possible in the next version.

stotheamuel
May 12th, 2006, 04:38
hmmm something like environment can kill you

like dropping through floor... or spike pits

maybe automatic... maybe by another player... just some sort of death trap

(i wanna be indiana jones)

oh and audio or text chat when adhoc or wifi is working
secondary fire (though this would waste a button)

Produkt
May 12th, 2006, 04:40
we can eventualy do things like this, but it requires more support for more entities...

BrooksyX
May 12th, 2006, 05:42
what i would like to see:

*a decent size selection of guns... pistol, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper, and maybe a few others.
*ability to pick up and drop guns so you could hold like 2 at a time, also like ammo pick ups so you dont have unlimited ammo
*grenade support
*Jumping ( I think it has already been added)
*Just increase the movement speed but dont require a button to have to be held down to run.
*sound and custum tracks
*vehicles for bigger out door maps

anyways cant wait for the next release!

BrokenWing
May 12th, 2006, 21:39
Okay, I've added some of everyone's ideas, however some of them have already been posted. Please check over the list before posting new Ideas, thanks =)

Also the list has been slightly revamped to look a bit cleaner and more to the point.

PSPHax0r9
May 12th, 2006, 23:53
I love this game. I wonder when Monkey's going to take a break from M64 and work on this.

stotheamuel
May 13th, 2006, 01:13
ohh i thought of an obvious forgotten one...

a stats keeper i.e. total kills ever then we can compare
ranks of some sort (no skill increasing ranks tho... just titles)

ohh and if you're on sprees a deep voice to say stuff about it

ability to go through walls.. Possible?

stealing weapons
hit with gun
melee from behind ++damage
shields and armor

BrooksyX
May 13th, 2006, 03:01
walk through walls, no.
deep voice yes!

BrokenWing
May 13th, 2006, 03:57
ohh i thought of an obvious forgotten one...

a stats keeper i.e. total kills ever then we can compare
ranks of some sort (no skill increasing ranks tho... just titles)

ohh and if you're on sprees a deep voice to say stuff about it

ability to go through walls.. Possible?

stealing weapons
hit with gun
melee from behind ++damage
shields and armor
A stats keeper would be great...once the ai gets up to par and the game has it smaller flaws removed. (Slow moving, not being able to fire while moving or jump) Then that'd be great such as Red Faction 2 or probably more known, Timesplitters.

The deep voice is a must after the sfx get put in =)
The walk through walls ability I don't see working very well though...I think you mean as a power-up but it still wouldn't fit the game too well imo.

Stealing the enemies weapons sound interesting, so you got a shotgun? Well I use this grapple/claw weapon to grab your gun and blow you up =)

All the others would fit well in the game too.
Thanks for everyone's ideas so far. Keep them comin, after all, we need to keep PSMonkey working!
(Said in a sincerely mean way of course =)

stotheamuel
May 13th, 2006, 06:48
oh i meant... break... through walls... like in red faction 2

BrokenWing
May 13th, 2006, 21:46
oh i meant... break... through walls... like in red faction 2
Oh, in that case, good idea =)

nomi
May 31st, 2006, 15:33
It would be cool if you could forge with an enemy like in crash bandicoot but thats later stuff! but it would be cool!

sroon
June 1st, 2006, 20:13
Make it so more textures can be used and not just 24bit etc.

Briggzy11
June 5th, 2006, 20:33
Id definately like some sort of a single player campaign or skirmish implimented into IRIS with more weapons, ammo types and models. I am not banking on this however I mean I know something like that would take a very long time but looking forward to any changes to the IRIS to improve it :D

xtreameracer01
June 22nd, 2006, 09:14
Here are some of my ideas,which might have been mention:
1.improved menu(background,icon,etc)
2.sound
3.health pickups/armor pickups
4.ability to go back to "Iris" main menu
5.be able to pause the game
6.more weapon choices
7.improved graphics
8.friction improvements(not getting caught in walls/corners, maybe latters)
9.kill count
10.wifi multiplayer
11.dual weapons
12.different match types(time trial,deathmatch,etc)

Those are a few ideas of mine...