PDA

View Full Version : Sony Denies Leaked PS4 Specs Report

wraggster
January 31st, 2009, 17:18
Alleyinside.com has reported that they spoke with a Rep from Sony about our report from yesterday "PlayStation 4 Plan Details Leaked." The Sony rep. "flatly denied there’s any truth to it." However the report had already taken the web by storm.

The ideas presented in the translated blog seemed very well thought out. They seek to reduce manufacturing costs for the PS4 by basing the it off of the existing PS3 technology. Sony has seen high manufacturing costs for both the PS2 and PS3 hurt profits during the first few years of the respective consoles life cycles. Basing the PS4 off of the PS3 technology would drastically reduce manufacturing costs, which would allow a lower retail price.

For now we will take Sony on their word that the leak plans are false, but one has to wonder if the report is false, does Sony see potential in the idea? We’ll keep an eye out for anymore leads on this story in the future.

http://gamingfront.net/story-165-.html

Accordion
January 31st, 2009, 17:30
why is this rumour so persistent?

It doesn't make any sense,

DPyro
January 31st, 2009, 17:43
What I got from that "report":

• PS4 will use same technology as PS3, increasing the number of SPEs from 8 to 24 or 32.
• The chip size will have been reduced to 32nm
• They will use DDR4 memory instead of XDR to reduce cost
• Architecture will remain the same as PS3 to help game developers transition from PS3 to PS4

Ultima Chocochu
January 31st, 2009, 19:45
It's pretty bogus, considering the PS3 hasn't even been out long enough for them to be planning the next in my opinion.

ICE
January 31st, 2009, 20:06
I would bet money they're planning for PS4 but to release it any time within the next 4 years would be stupid. How this rumor is even seen as being worth the time it takes to read it is beyond me.

Shrygue
February 1st, 2009, 21:15
In my opinion, it's too early to release another console now. Leave it for another 5 years at least and then come up with one then I say.

Eviltaco64
February 1st, 2009, 23:13
I'd say to wait until 2011 or 2012 for a new Playstation console.

Ultima Chocochu
February 2nd, 2009, 01:11
It's not even that, why in the world would Sony release Specs for their future console now as well?
Sony has never released consoles quickly, and when you think of the future, these specs will seem low then.