PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of the Sega Vision?

Blue Protoman
February 1st, 2009, 02:19
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C16332/

It's not a game console. :( It's nothing more than a Personal Media Player. Raise your hand if you don't have one already in some form.

The Sega Vision won't be able to play games, aside from tiny, little Java games which have about a billion clones online.

Some say this will get Sega going. Others say it won't help them the slightest bit. Some people even say that this thing will be the end of Sega.

Your thoughts?

kojiro7
February 1st, 2009, 03:03
Lets hope Sega gets back to hardware business,because with the current videogames,the console scene sucks(piece of shit 3,gatesbox 360,nintendo U)

Eviltaco64
February 1st, 2009, 04:09
Sega got out of the console business because of heavy losses, and the Vision is just like many other multimedia handhelds out there with the "Sega" logo slapped on it. The thing is supposed to be as small as a credit card, which means watching videos is pointless, playing java games with only 4 buttons on the right is pointless as well.

Will Sega return to the console business? Probably not (though I could be wrong, as they're doing good now). Sega is doing pretty well in the Arcade business as well, where they still make hardware and good games.

Blue Protoman
February 1st, 2009, 04:13
Sega's usually made good games in the past. *coughdreamcastcough*

Eviltaco64
February 1st, 2009, 07:05
"Dreamcast: The Official game of the Console" was great. ;)

Genesis and Saturn were great as well.

Triv1um
February 1st, 2009, 14:59
It will kill Sega. End of.

Look at it. It looks so 1990's.

Shadowblind
February 1st, 2009, 15:14
SEGA can't get back into the console market now. When it was just them against Ninty, it was a bit more fair since they were both rlatively small companies.

But facing off against massive companies like Microsoft, Sony, and STILL going against Nintendo, they couldn't break in there in any way.

I don't know, maybe it'll help them. I hope it'll help them :/ but it certainly won't(or shouldn't) lead to a new console.

Blue Protoman
February 1st, 2009, 16:42
Do I hope it will help Sega? Yes. Do I think it will help Sega? No.

quzar
February 1st, 2009, 20:38
I've got a few issues from back in the day (yea, that's SEGA Visions)

Sega makes little hardware devices all the time. It's not gonna kill them.

Blue Protoman
February 2nd, 2009, 00:12
Remember the Sega CD and the 32X?

quzar
February 2nd, 2009, 00:23
Remember the Sega CD and the 32X?

Those weren't little hardware devices, those were gaming systems.

fg-54
February 2nd, 2009, 01:58
wow looks cool, when does it come out?

Blue Protoman
February 2nd, 2009, 12:44
Those weren't little hardware devices, those were gaming systems.

A gaming system can run on its own capacity without any add-ons. For a Sega CD and a 32X, you need a Genesis. Therefore, they are not stand-alone systems.

@fg-54: Not sure when it comes out, but it doesn't matter. It's just a PMP, you could buy one of those at your local Best Buy or something.

fg-54
February 2nd, 2009, 17:04
one with tv and video recording? cuz that is whut got me interested.

pibs
February 2nd, 2009, 21:51
one with tv and video recording? cuz that is whut got me interested.

Same here. For some weird reason people look down upon portable tvs. I had the tv tuner for the GG and GBA and my guess is because of massive amounts of batteries and drainage that was involved.

At the 100 dollar range I might get one of these. And now that TV broadcasting signals are going Digital this year, I hope it removes the need for long ass antennas.

jamotto
February 2nd, 2009, 22:38
And now that TV broadcasting signals are going Digital this year, I hope it removes the need for long ass antennas.

They have to change the frequency that they broadcast at for that to happen which won't happen.

fg-54
February 2nd, 2009, 23:18
meh, i just saw some pics of it and it looks like its going to be very hard to play games in that thing :/

Blue Protoman
February 8th, 2009, 03:29
They've announced that the Vision won't play games after all. Too bad, so sad. We won't be able to play crappy Pac-man clones on the go.