PDA

View Full Version : EBOOT LOADER EXPLOIT! (Unconfirmed at Moment)

wraggster
February 3rd, 2006, 18:03
Hey all got sent this news from grin.ch, here goes:

<blockquote>VERY NOTEWORTHY:

I have found a hack/exploit for the eBoot loader!! Some of you may have already thought of this as it is very basic, but I have not seen coverage on this anywhere as of yet. This is for everyone, especially the n00bs

eBoot loader only displays 22 or 23 games on the main menu. However, if you go into PSP>GAME (Via computer connection), there you will see all of your
homebrew. Now for the cool part: Add another folder in the GAME folder (Right click>New>Folder) and call it whatever you want. (I call mine "[2!] GAME" so it loads at the top of the list of folders on my computer in PSP>GAME where I can easily access and add homebrew to it. Now put all the rest of your homebrew in there (from your 23rd downloaded homebrew game ++) and you can extend your homebrew library by as much memory as you have on your MSDUO.

I was sick of having 22 games on the [eBoot loader] menu and having to delete the least fun game out of the lot just so I could replace it every time I
downloaded a new homebrew. So in short, I now have access to about 40 homebrew games and apps which are all accessible through the eBoot loader menu.

I hope I've made the eBoot loader even better with this little tip for the
people who will use it. (Don't know why I didn't think of this much sooner...)

Additionally:

I am not the greatest programmer, but I enjoy homebrew and wanted to know if some of you would print this on your web page in an area of related content. I would appreciate a small bit of recognition for this, just to be recognised for a split second in the homebrew scene. I just think that would be the coolest. =)

Thanks for your time and consideration for posting this,

grin.ch

P.S. Please check out my website to give me feedback at: http://www.geocities.com/jilopey29/index.html?1138951978968
or just reply to this email. Thanks.</blockquote>

Well there ya go, over to folks like Fanjita and Ditlew etc to verify or not this news item.

Fanjita
February 3rd, 2006, 18:33
Or you could ... umm... keep pressing "down" at the bottom of the page, and go to the next page of 22/23/whatever ;)

Still, organising stuff into folders can still be very useful if you have a large homebrew collection.

uranidiot
February 3rd, 2006, 18:46
:D but can anyone make a nes or gba emu to work!

Sterist
February 3rd, 2006, 19:08
this isnt an exploit......... at all. its just peering into another folder for eboots on a browser lol i been doin it for as long as i had the loader on 2.00

indstr
February 3rd, 2006, 19:20
why would you have more than 22 games on there anyway . on my 1.5 i hardly ever have more than about 10 homebrews at once

xuphorz
February 3rd, 2006, 20:16
:D but can anyone make a nes or gba emu to work!

uh, theres already a full speed nes emulator

DraconumPB
February 3rd, 2006, 20:39
Well, while I'm in agreement that it's not really an 'exploit' (exploits take advantage of flaws in an application, while the processing of folders in the eboot loader is programmed as a feature), it is a noteworthy point in this respect:

typical homebrew doesn't work when organized in folders. homebrew on 2.00 does. thus, alot of people used to 1.5 or 1.0 might not think about it at first (I didn't).

Although you've got to have a pretty hefty MS to hold more than 23 homebrews.. especially if you have ROMs. I mean, you know, the *cough* legal kind. right.

Maybe not worth the upper-case headline but at least noteworthy.

Moning2
February 3rd, 2006, 21:19

thats what i thought when i read this...
i currently have 44 homebrew games in my list, withOUT!!! this stupid method and just the list where i can go up and down, can someone PLEASE remove this from the internet (no not just the website, let it vanish into nothing) and please kill this retard for a better world :cool:

TheEmulatorGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 21:38
wraggster, first the eLoder "upgrade" by GameShark, and now this. Tut tut... :P

frmariam
February 3rd, 2006, 21:55
That is actually a bug in Calum's menu if it's what I think (it also comes with EBOOT Loader). It will actually not list more than 22 (23,24) and the "more" option won't show up and you won't be allowed to browse the rest of the homebrew list. If you however have 25 or more they will all be listed (I haven't checked if the prob will happen again with a certain number of apps). I posted that 22 app limit bug in Fanjita's forum (where I spend most of my forum time) and he is aware. This might have been after the release of eLoader though. Also for what XArt said, Choice will be bundled from now on with eLoader.

Try having 25 apps in the game folder and see if it helps anything (sorry I have a 2.0 and really hate GTA... just not my type though I loved it was the one Sony tried to make us upgrade for and had the hole eLoader is based on :D hahahaha!!!! Take that Sony!).

Please someone confirm if what I said works. Peace :)

Edit:

Fanjita you remember that thread in your forum about the bug in Calum's menu right (at least the version bundled in 0.9)?

tryqus
February 3rd, 2006, 22:39
Ya know when I first saw the title, first thing that came to mind was "Downgrader". Obviously a downgrader through the loader would be improbable at best ;), but ya never know what these guys can do. Ive got to agree though, this doesnt seem like the biggest news. Perhaps if you had put it in a smaller font, I wouldnt of been so excitied.

-Tryqus

MaxSMoke
February 4th, 2006, 19:15
Are there more then 22 Homebrew games that work with the Eboot Loader? I thought it was just the SNES emulator. I'll have to snag the Genesis Emulator and see if i can get Sonic Pinball to work!

BTW, that Eboot loader is cool and all, but the fact that it crashes when you tap the power switch kinda kills it's usefulness. It takes about 5 minutes to get into a Homebrew game. First you have to load GTA, then wait through the load up of the first saved game, then back out to the saved game list, load up the Eboot loader, and then boot up an Emulator, and finally load up a ROM. By the time I get into a SNES Game, I'm usually out of time to play on it.

I hope that little crashing issue can be fixed and we can pause in Homebrew games again. Otherwise, well the loader is still an incredible achievement, it won't be too useful for everyday use. Curse this v2.01 Firmware my white PSP came reloaded with!