PDA

View Full Version : Rise Of The Triad v0.99 - now with music

deniska
February 3rd, 2006, 22:58
Rise Of The Triad PSP v0.99

This is a PSP adoptation of Rise Of The Triad, 1st person shooter, originally developed by 3drealms/Apogee.
(http://www.3drealms.com/rott/)
Special thanks to people @ http://icculus.org/rott/, who developed the SDL/linux version of the game.
Please read the attached documents for credits and other information.

If you are unfamiliar with the game please read this great article:
http://rott.classicgaming.gamespy.com/hell/

WHATS NEW
-------
- added music support via timidity (read installation instructions below)
- overclocked the CPU to 333Mhz - the game seems to run smoother

INSTALLATION
--------

- select between the shareware and full versions (shareware game files are included;
you can purchase the full version from www.3drealms.com)
1.5 users: copy contents of 1.5 folder to ms:/PSP/GAME
1.0 use EBOOT.PBP from 1.0 folder with data files from 1.5 folder (make sure your include .rott directory)
2.0 Please let me know if either version works with the latest eboot loader for 2.0 firmware

If you own the full version of the game use the EBOOTs from the "full" directory with the DARK WAR data files.

MUSIC SUPPORT
------------
If you want music support, make sure to copy timidity.cfg & instruments folder in to ms:/PSP/GAME/rott
The compact (no thrills) timidity version is provided in shareware 1.5 folder.
If you want quality music, download http://www.libsdl.org/projects/mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz
and copy timidity.cfg & instruments direcory from there.
The downside: the full version is large (~17MB) and is going to
pause the game for ~10 sec every time music changes. If you have time, you may want to experiment
with sounds and create a custom midi mapping for the game...

CONTROLS
----------------
Due to ovious PSP limitations, some game functions are not mapped in the default key configuration.
If you don't like the control layout/functions - you can re-assign them in the controls menu.

GAME PLAY
-----------
THIS IS STILL A BETA VERSION! So it may be a bit unstable.
Refer to original documentation for details on game play.
Network/multiplayer modes are not supported in this release, but you should be able to use some multiplayer levels in
"exploration" mode
!There seems to be a problem with the cut scene in the begining of the 1st level.
So if you see a black screen, hit enter/space a few times to speed up the load process...

TODO
----
NETWORK/MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT - hmm, this may take a while
FIX OCASIONAL CRASHES

Enjoy,

DENIS

Download via comments

nexus68
February 4th, 2006, 01:38
whouuu already a new version, great thx.

.:PSP1.0:.
February 4th, 2006, 08:06
Hey deniska great port as always! :) Thank you so much! ;)

alekebol
February 4th, 2006, 10:04
Thanks for the update. The full version of it now works on 2.0 aswell as the shareware version using eboot loader 0.9. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but the game does not load when sound is on. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but apart from that it's a great port.
Keep up the great work

djammer
February 4th, 2006, 19:35
Thanks for porting this first person shooter. It was one of my favorite first person shooters that ruled....along with the likes of Castle Wolf, Duke Nukem 3d, and Doom!!!

Cheers,

aries2k4
February 4th, 2006, 22:20
Alright,didnīt take to long for you to throw the music in. Thanks!! Nice Port!

ALIEN771
October 15th, 2006, 10:29
when you kill first boss a blue screen error comes up any fix for this??

deniska
October 18th, 2006, 19:26
when you kill first boss a blue screen error comes up any fix for this??

I think that the problem is linked to a memory leak in the midi library, used for the sound support...
Currently there is no fix for that. The only suggestion is to save the game ocasionally and re-load it from time to time...

homecdbrew
November 7th, 2006, 05:15
Hi, just a quick note to let ya all know that I've created a forum for editing and modding and overall anything related to the great game Rise of the Triad, and one section dedicated to porting Rott to other systems too! Everyone is welcome!

It's at http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

thanks

Sinistar
February 22nd, 2007, 07:53
I'm having a hard time getting this to run, I'm running firmware 3.01 OE-C and can get other homebrew games running (like Supertux!).
Which files/directory do I copy from the ROTT Dark War original CD to which directory on my PSP? The README_PSP.txt was kind of vague. I though i was doing it right but when I try to run ROTT from my PSP, it seems like it's going to load, then goes back to he PSP main menu.

Thanks.

barev
March 10th, 2008, 22:20
Hi Deniska,

I know this is an old project but do you have any plans to continue working on it like for example compiling a version for the psp slim and adding cheats/multiplayer support. I am a huge fan of the game and would really like to have an option for using the cheats (currently this is not possible due to lack of keyboard) as ROTT is the game with the most and collest cheats (also according to the CGW magazine :) ) and also play the kick-ass multiplayer.
I would really appreciate any answer about this even if it's not good news.
If you do not have any time/motivation for this is it possible that you release the source code for someone else to develop this further on?
Thank you very much for this port, I appreciate the time and efforts you've invested in it and I am willing to contribute a small sum for the further development :)

BR
barev

deniska
March 11th, 2008, 20:48
I'll look in to porting to slim and possibly adding some basic keyboard support...
But don't expect anything right away..
If anyone is interested - I can definitely share the source code

barev
March 26th, 2008, 16:17
10x for the reply deniska. I appreciate it.
When you have some time please just PM me your paypal account and I will donate a small sum as an effort to express my appreciation for your time and skills you have invested in porting so many apps to the psp platform. Consider this as a few beers from me for you while updating the code for PSP ROTT some time in the future ;)

ALIEN771
April 15th, 2008, 08:38
Great work on the port a level select would be handy to get past the boss level it allways blue screens no way to get past it

dvdmayhem
February 22nd, 2010, 00:26
thank you

nitrate
February 11th, 2020, 23:48
is it real? If so, I#d like to test this.

eduardogarcia234
November 7th, 2020, 20:53
thx