PDA

View Full Version : I Love my PSP But ....

wraggster
February 3rd, 2006, 22:21
Ok we all love the PSP it is a great gaming and homebrew console but every console ever created has some thing that annoys the hell out of you.

What annoys you about the PSP?

and because im starting this discussion my main gripe is Battery time, i recently brought the games GTA and Champ Manager PSP and after a few hours im recharging and less of a gripe but still an annoyance is the dust and grime that the surface of the console collects.

Replys via the comments

not here anymore
February 3rd, 2006, 22:24
The digital directionnal buttons are driving me nuts sometimes.
Later,

TSR

Azn_B0y
February 3rd, 2006, 22:25
the surface get easily scratched

LAW666
February 3rd, 2006, 22:32
the silly little analogue "nub"
after 10 mins of playing gta i get a cramp :mad:
gonna grab the little things to make it bigger tho
(how wrong would that sound if used out of context :p )

and yeah dirt on the screen is a pain too

the shuffle function on the mp3 player is a bit pants too, especially if u prefer to organise ur music for easy selection.

other then that its a badass time consumer :D

pepegomez
February 3rd, 2006, 22:35
dont know why u are complaining about scratches. i have mine since 3 month and have mine always and everywehre. and no scratches yet...

im annoyed of low batery power, autoplay, not enough games and complicated wlan setup

jetkey885
February 3rd, 2006, 22:46
i agree that the D-pad directionnal sucks, try pressing upRight or downLeft, it doesn't respond. another thing, the system doesn't even have a TV out port, one would think that it's a no brainer to add it...SONY sucks. yet another thing, the system should have use mini-DVD (more memory) for it's medium storage, think how kool that would be if the system was a mini-DVD reader, no more buying big size memory stick, just the 32mb will do for save data...again SONY sucks.

moogster66
February 3rd, 2006, 23:05
Battery life has to be the number one gripe against the psp. But I agree with jetkey on the fact that the little memory cards suck! Of course we can buy the datel hdd for an extra 200 bucks. Which puts the psp up to around 500 bucks. I commend Sony on the versatility of the psp, but they could have done better on the memory.

Produkt
February 3rd, 2006, 23:16
Publisher's are scruing developers over forcing them to make a less than intended game...

KriMe
February 3rd, 2006, 23:17
...The one green pixel that no matter how long i run the pixel fixer wont unstick. That and the lil nub of an analog stick, I got hand cramps the first 2 weeks I had it.

slayer2psp
February 3rd, 2006, 23:23
if you get the new 2200 battery it helps gives you about another 45mins to a hour of time not to bad but its 40 bucks. i just wish it had a built in hdd more colors and was cheaper every thing else is fine. just more games and stop the lame firmware upgrades it confuses people i work at a game store people are shocked at all the cool things it can do sony need a better manual or something the avg person just doesnt know how to get the most out of it

Vampyronight
February 4th, 2006, 00:07
The thing that annoys me the most about the PSP is the ports that rival the cost of the games on consoles.

Really, I can't imagine the porting of a game is so expensive that they can't knock down the price. If they offered games at $30 new (maybe $40 for premier games, like GTA), then I could see myself purchasing more titles But as it stands now, I can't justify paying $50 for a game that doesn't play as well as the console version.

TheEmulatorGuy
February 4th, 2006, 00:28
I don't see why people are complaining about the battery life. Just hook up the AC Adaptor and play with it. If you're in the car, just hook it up into the stereo. You can get a good 4-5 hours without an AC Adaptor.

Most people rarely use the PSP for more than 4 hours without access to a power plug or a car. Yes it happens, but not very often.

There is only one thing I believe wrong with the PSP. It gets dirty too easy. The buttons are covered in fingerprints all the time, and it become a hassle to clean it. Also, stuff somehow manages to get inside the buttons and casing. It's a nuiscence cleaning it out.

Rorin
February 4th, 2006, 00:49
1. That cheesegrater they call a analog nub (replaced it though so not a probrem).
2. High power consumption (got a power brick, so not a problem).
3. Very thin D-pad.
4. Duo memory cards (whats wrong with a normal memory card sony? Why make it more complicated for the consumer?)
5. Screen is easliy mucked up with fingerprints smudges and dust.
6. Analog nub is way too close to the D-Pad.
7. And my biggest gripe is the Wifi, which hardly ever connects. I can be standing a couple feet away from the router and still get a connection error. It takes me atleast 5 trys to succesfully to connect, And its not my router that is causing the problem btw.

...oops kind of turned this into a rant.

However i love my psp, cause i cant pack a tv and my dreamcast around to play some homebrew. :)

jarraman
February 4th, 2006, 01:21
my gripe is i have bought the battery add on and every time i take my psp to work (wihch is every night) i have to dismantle it and coz it won't go in the protective case so psp goes in case and battery goes in food bag aaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!

fulgore10
February 4th, 2006, 01:34
controls suck.......period . Only games like tetris can be played without annoyance.
Yes there's one real psp game that plays like a charm and that is Ridge racer.
Meaning games that need fast input of control action , failes in every way .
This is not a thing that can easily be overcome.
There is just NOway to play games on a psp that need quick button bashing.
Even super mario world on the snes emulator is not giving you the handling as on the actual gamepad.
A handheld console should only be for simple games .and thank god A real authentic game that will give that pleasure is comming to the psp "secual to ghouls and ghost".
If ya think i'm writting bullshit , try and play fifa 06 djeeez . its just not what a handheld was made for .
I love my psp but not for the psp games i can buy.

greetz rob

T-2000
February 4th, 2006, 01:38
u just had to ask...lol

mog
February 4th, 2006, 02:10
1. forced, irreversible firmware updates...
i can only find a few games that work on fw1.0 :(
sure i could just update, but then i have to use downgraders and homebrew loaders, and other hassle.

2. no fw version requirements details on game cases...
finding out what firmware is needed to play games before you buy them is difficult, i was pretty sure lumines was a 1.0 game before i got it, i was wrong and now i dont have a receipt so it just collects dust.
if i get my lumines(fw1.5) working on 1.0 i'll be happy

apart from that the psp is great! :p

Moning2
February 4th, 2006, 02:25
1. forced, irreversible firmware updates...
i can only find a few games that work on fw1.0 :(
sure i could just update, but then i have to use downgraders and homebrew loaders, and other hassle.

2. no fw version requirements details on game cases...
finding out what firmware is needed to play games before you buy them is difficult, i was pretty sure lumines was a 1.0 game before i got it, i was wrong and now i dont have a receipt so it just collects dust.
if i get my lumines(fw1.5) working on 1.0 i'll be happy

apart from that the psp is great! :p

try that (WAB?) version changer or the mph firmware loader
and rorin, that wifi stuff isnt the psp, at least, here i dont have any problems at all at maybe 15 meters away and 3 walls and a door between the router and psp
but where the hell can i get 'mini dvd's' :confused: how about also a 'mini bluray player' and a floppy disk station and an inflatable xbox :cool:
i would just like to complain about the fact that i have version 2.01 :D

snuffster
February 4th, 2006, 03:44
i also am one to complain about the battery life but the main thing that annoys me is that the thing automatically loads the umd making u have to open the stupid thing to get to the menu its needs the option that the DS has(not giving any credit to the DS it sux!)
But the PSP is still the Baddest gamin machine EVER!

Thx for that Sony...lol

dragaron
February 4th, 2006, 04:06
Weight of PSP console. Load times. Analog nub. Firmware upgrades. Speakers location. Dead pixels. Software cost.

shadowprophet
February 4th, 2006, 04:09
All of my gripes had been covered.

So I made a new list.

The screens too small:p
It cant play an 8 trak :p
It always has a headake:(
It never used to be that way:(
Not in the beginning :( lol
And my atari carts always get stuck in the umd drive *cries :p

My list of personal issues.
Uh I mean gripes againt the psp, yeah thats what I ment:p lol

Voltron
February 4th, 2006, 04:10
I love my PSP more and more everyday. But there are a few gripes.

My top 3 gripes in order of how much they bother me is as follows:

1.) UMD Auto-Load -- Maybe I want to listen to music, play homebrew, watch a video, surf the web, etc. etc. With a UMD inserted, you need to wait until the game starts to load and then hit HOME and then wait to return to PSP menu screen. I find myself with the UMD door open when I know I will be reseting the unit often. VERY Annoying.

2.) LCD Bleeding -- Fast moving games and even Video has a very ugly motion blur or color smudging effect. Worse with darker colors. The new iPod screens don't suffer from this. Supposedly their are PSP's with a different "SHARP" brand LCD which performs better. If anyone knows, let me know.

3.) Slow Wi-Fi speed. The browser was a good idea. Some think not practical on the PSP. The 802.11b is just not fast enough. A lot of sites not that complicated take a good amount of time to load. 802.11g would have been the way to go even if it slightly raised the PSP's cost.

All in all though, I prefer PSP over GBA, DS, and all other handheld gaming devices.

gas19d
February 4th, 2006, 04:15
ITS TOO EXPENSIVE.. Everything about it is too expensive. The battery power is also kind of short. Im sorry guys but lately i pick up the DS and walk out the door not the psp...

gas19d
February 4th, 2006, 04:16
ITS TOO EXPENSIVE.. Everything about it is too expensive. The battery power is also kind of short. Im sorry guys but lately i pick up the DS and walk out the door not the psp... (NO LOADING TIMES!!!)

JACKtheRIPPER
February 4th, 2006, 05:20
I agree with the others about the friggin' battery!! It would be nice to have a good 8 to 10 hours of battery life without having to buy a bulkier battery pack! ohh yeah, the auto load when theres a game in the system!!! Hate it Hate it Hate it!!! but.... it's cool though :cool:

p4ch3c0
February 4th, 2006, 06:13
I hate the layout of the buttons. It feels too cramped. It also makes it harder to respond quickly.

michael jackson
February 4th, 2006, 07:13
GRAND..... THEFT... AUTO,

god i hope xbox makes a handheld so GTA can move where it belongs

Chackan
February 4th, 2006, 07:44
No homebrew support =\

Ichijoe
February 4th, 2006, 08:23
No decent Games line-up..... No decent RPG Games line-up that is!! >=(

Flipao
February 4th, 2006, 08:25
Ghosting

Knyte
February 4th, 2006, 08:48
Grips:

Battery life. (I use the AC adapter most of the time, but the damn thing sticks out and impedes your button pressing, and comfortable handling of the unit. They should have put the AC jack on the side or top.)

Memory card cost. (Why do I have to pay another $100 for a 1gb duo card, just so I can watch my ripped dvd's on my psp?)

UMD's (Great idea, but any movies I want, I already own on DVD and I am not going to pay another $15-25 on a movie I already own, nor pay the same price for a UMD of a movie I don't own yet, since I can't watch it on anything else!)

Speakers too quiet (Some games are fine, but others you can't hear worth a damn if their is any ambiant noise around you.)

Where are all the damn RPG's, and why does only Japan get the good ports!!! (I have heard that they are releasing Suikoden I & II together on one UMD, and Romance Of The Three Kingdoms VI! I have called around all my local retailers to see if these are being ported to the states; answer: nope. Man, I need to learn to read Japanese.)

It's doesn't make me breakfast.

It's pissy 3-7 days of the month, constantly craving chocolate....

It yells at me when I am not doing anything "useful" with my time...

Oh, wait.... those last few are my wife.... :P

jman420
February 4th, 2006, 11:25
I think out of all the things that sony coulda done better, the "dead pixels" are the biggest problem with the PSP, I mean, i had 2 dead pixels when i bought it, then after about 10 hours of playing gta, and ridge racer, i have about 7, i mean come on sony why the hell couldnt make the USA psp's with lcd screens that would break over time. . . ?
anyway to sum this up

LCD screen on PSP sucks (that large part on the very back of your body that most normal people sit on)

JMan420

jman420
February 4th, 2006, 11:28
by the way, grips would be like them rubber things on a golf club, a "GRIPE" would either be a crappy monster on Final Fantasy 1, or the thing knyte was trying to say

b8a
February 4th, 2006, 11:33
The fact that it's made by Sony!!!! ha ha ha ha ha!!

I love the possibilities of the machine, but I shouldn't have to feel like I'm babying a portable. I've been lucky so far with the PSP, but I've accidently dropped Sony products no more than 8cm from the ground before and broken them beyond repair. Sony hasn't been known for their durability in a long time. Even Japanese are suspicious of them (there's a running gag about how Sony puts self-destruct mechanisms in it's devices to make you upgrade regularly).

TheEmulatorGuy... From New Zealand? Just a wild guess, but you don't spend much time in a major metropolitan area, do you? If you're riding buses, trains, etc... You can EASILY use up that battery capacity EVERY single day. Especially if your non-home destination(s) don't have (or let you use) power outlets to recharge.

shadowprophet
February 4th, 2006, 12:20
Ahh people can say what they will about there psp's
But you know you love em.
And the list topers of the bummer's pile for me is knowing that some day,
My poor little psp will cease to function, Even if hopefully my psp outlives the psp general lifespan. Which I doubt since there so fragiel and made by sony.
*Tears begin to form in shadows eyes*
I know that some day I will wake up and she wont be there anymore,
She will have moved on :(
No longer will she be there to tend to my every need be it socom or a quickie post in the forums.
No longer will we be watching kill bill volumes 1 and 2 for the fifteenth hundreth time, while I hold her, Cause the gory parts frighten her :(*tears.
No longer will she be there with me to listen to the same music I listen too*

*breaks down I cant bare it anymore. OHH WHY--WHY TAKE HER AND LEAVE ME WITH THE DS !!!!WHY!!!!!!

What!? psp2 ?!!! Oh well live and let die :p lol

DraconumPB
February 4th, 2006, 15:50
1. Standby is the default action for the power button; to turn it OFF you have to hold it forever. This makes it more likely that you're going to put it in standby, which is one thing that really kills the battery (since you generally leave it on standby for a fair amount of time, lol)
2. Crappy speakers!
3. Prohibitive firmware, making homebrew a real hassle for someone who also likes GTA...
3.5. Reactive firmware development... exploit means update.
3.75. Useless restrictions on firmware usage - to go to certain Sony websites on your PSP, you need to update your firmware. Ridiculous.
4.SLOW browser. I'd rather pull out my (huge) laptop. I think this is memory related (turning off images helps some).
5. No flash support in browser
6. Analog nub is insanely uncomfortable to use and feels cheap.
7. UMD auto-load... less terrible since GTA came out (I actually removed homebrew temporarily off my MS since I got GTA... except the cheat device ;) ) but is very, very annoying.
8.Loud UMD drive

there's more but I can't remember right now...

SchmuckofNI
February 4th, 2006, 16:29
Stupid fragile umd cases that protects the umd. No replacements yet.

Produkt
February 4th, 2006, 16:53
This is more of an adult handheld as far as the hardware goes...

Sleek stylish, avaerage adult user wont be playing as long as the teen user so battery life isnt worried about. Costs are anoying, but hey they have jobs right? UMD movies... Well if you really want the movie on your PSP you have to spend a good deal of money any way... portable web browser... most kids cant efficiently use such a thing...

All and all the PSP is a more "Adult" and city oriented device...

Fuzzt
February 4th, 2006, 17:10
The analog nub, useless.

Anyone know of any decent mods for it that can be used with a playgear pocket case?

michael jackson
February 4th, 2006, 18:46
oh yeah, crappy, and i mean crappy AS HELL sound

i have a 1.5 jp import and half of my mp3s are too quiet to hear while im walking in my town, passing cars are louder.. $20 sony headphones, those big padded ones

max volume too... i think my psp is just losing sound or something, its really bad

if anyone knows...>.>

i can edit a few of my mp3s with coolpro but the sound is a major setback, i plan to buy an upgraded psp after i start working so i guess il use that as my music psp if it sounds better

anyway, the nub doesnt bug me, one thing i hate is the lack of psp cases, 0 if you have the battery/hdd at least tha i can find

other than that, psp rules, battery life with the x2 is good since i rarely travel to australia -.-

screen size is what sells psp in my book, watching video on a 1/2 inch ipod screen? no thanx il take psp, screen scratche easily, no dead pixels tho

overall psp is the best of its time, and it keeps me busy with all the features and emulation capabilities, and thats what gaming is for, entertainment

>.> il shut up now

IndianCheese
February 4th, 2006, 22:14
Lack of cheese.

Just kidding! But what really annoys me is that the IR hasn't been used for anything (besides homebrew). There is also no ad hoc file sharing, the wireless card is 802.11 MHz instead of 2.4 GHz (REALLY slows down internet access), no way to view the internal files (like a file manager), there is no way to customize the system sounds/videos (without homebrew), there is no affiliation with outside companies for better software (Windows XP Lite on UMD, anyone?), it uses Memory Sticks instead of SD cards (I know it is Sony's format, but can they get any more cheap?), homebrew is being blocked, you must set up a "connection" for each access point you use (it would be nicer to just scan for a nearby access point and connect to it without saving it into a connection file stored on the PSP), infrastructure multiplayer mode is VERY limited in games, game sharing is very rare, the LCD's refresh is a little iffy (GTA looks pasty/smudgy when the game is at night time), and MPG4 is the only video format supported.

Ok, I'm done.

brunobelo
February 4th, 2006, 22:29
Some guy told about the auto load UMD. This pisses me off, really. I need to turn on the PSP and open the lid, I hate doing this.

And, I don't like the digital stick, the analog is fine, you just have to keep trying and one day you'll like the analog stick. :-)

And the firmware updates, the irreversible firmware updates. I'll NEVER update to 2.0, no matter what games sony launch. Even if there's the downgrader from 2.0 to 1.5...

UnderHill
February 5th, 2006, 00:07
only beef i'v had with the psp is the nub

shenske37
February 5th, 2006, 03:09
overall i think sony has done a great job with the psp
but a flip open redesign of the psp wouls be amaizing (its needed)

my problems:(most have already been stated be here goes)
1. the auto load UMD
2. the firmware updates (especially when need to play games)
3. high priced memory sticks
4. 2nd analog stick (100% needed for FPS)
5. battery life can be bothersome
6. UMD movies are generally more exspensive than DVDs(and dvds have special features)
7. i honestly wouldn't mind more ports (as long as their quality)
8. lack of true connectivity with ps2 games
9. A/V out cord to be played on tv (officially by sony though)
10. too fragile

like i said before though sony did a very great job in making this system
i'm very happy with my psp

xuphorz
February 5th, 2006, 03:10
biggest annoyance - no mario/zelda games
second biggest annoyance - same as shadowruner - the directional buttons are too far apart

Machinegun
February 5th, 2006, 06:31
I know this isn't the PSP's fault but lack of games. Plus, the inability to encode a widescreen show into an actual widescreen video. The zooming in bit is very annoying.

creoleplane
February 6th, 2006, 17:27
My one gripe with the PSP is the battery life. I'll pull out my white PSP to play GTA for a couple of hours and my battery just gets it's life sucked out of it. I would like to se a built in file browser in the firmware too. My black one that I use for homebrew only has given me nearly 10 hours of battery life before with the original batter, just playing stuff of mem stick. Jetkey885, mini dvd's only store 1.4 gigs of data compared to the 1.8 of the UMD. Sure using a standard format may have been a nicer choice but it would have also made the piracy of games a lot easier which is why I think sony went with there own format.

Gt Loc
February 6th, 2006, 22:47
What annoys me the most is when playing gta the lag that it gives when you get in a car and all you here is the noise but not the game play. Also when you play for about 30 mintes you cant feel ur hands.

Gt Loc
February 9th, 2006, 03:50
Could I get that staffs attention to this kool relply about battery life!!! Well what you could do if you like to play ps2 and then your psp or vise versa. You can actually charge your psp with the ps2. You know how ps2 can accept U.S.B. plugs so you just plug in the U.S.B.plug for the psp and plug it into the ps2 with the usb end and the charger end into psp and have your ps2 running and it will power the psp. If you are still confused then im me on aim or reply to this message in this thread