PDA

View Full Version : Yuji Naka Wanted Sega To Stay In The Hardware Biz

wraggster
February 5th, 2009, 16:57
Former Sonic Team head honcho Yuji Naka is a Dreamcast fanboy. And he was very much against Sega's decision to bail on the hardware business, to kill off the Dreamcast, he says in a new interview.

Naka, now at Sega funded start up Prope, tells Kikizo "until the very final moments, I was really against Sega leaving the hardware business." Partially because Sonic Team was on the cusp of releasing the original Phantasy Star Online, but also because he felt the Dreamcast's networking capabilities was something Sega should further exploit.

"In a way I feel that, had that decision not been made, Sega would have gone bankrupt - so maybe it was a good business decision," Naka explains "But at the same time, I also feel like, what the hell - we should have given it a go, and we should have taken that risk."

Sadly, many of recall what went down. Sega dumped the Dreamcast. Yuji Naka dumped Sega to form Prope and develop titles like Let's Tap. And we get a little teary every time we turn on the best console Sega ever produced.

Naka also tells Kikizo that Prope's corporate color scheme — as well as the founder's tie and socks — was directly lifted from the Dreamcast's palette. Fanboy!

http://kotaku.com/5146504/yuji-naka-wanted-sega-to-stay-in-the-hardware-biz

kojiro7
February 5th, 2009, 23:39
Yuji Naka is very right.Lets hope Sega will reconsider to return to hardware business,I think it will be very succesful and people will return to Sega like they did with Nintendo.Sony and Microsoft make videogames to lose their meaning.
By the way I dont think Dreamcast is the best console Sega ever produced.That title belongs to Mega Drive(Genesis for the usa people).

Voldo
February 6th, 2009, 11:33
If Yuji Naka like the Dreamcast so much, I want to see a port of Let´s Tap to Dreamcast ^_^

That game is the reason I want a Wii.

Elven6
February 7th, 2009, 02:57
Wasn't Peter Moore saying the complete opposite of this?

I agree, tons of other Japanese developers are making Dreamcast games, so why not Prope? :p

Cast128dreams
February 8th, 2009, 14:39
Ahhh yuji Naka i love this guy..
Thats why Sonic series rocks on Dreamcast.Because he is a Dreamcast fan.

sukhi-2006
April 5th, 2009, 01:20
After the dc died out, i started to play games on pc, most of the titles on pc are better than anything i ever played and most of the sega games have appeared on pc, i'm not really bothered if sega does come back to hardware business.
I'm not being funny i reckon all consoles will die out and pc will remain in existence.