PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest IX Shopping System Revealed

Shrygue
February 6th, 2009, 19:22
via IGN (http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/951/951897p1.html)

Our suspicions of download content for Dragon Quest IX were apparently spot on. Today, word leaked from the latest issue of Shounen Jump about downloadable content for the big RPG.

Two types of download content will be available. First up, the more traditional of the two: downloadable quests. Square Enix will be offering new quests via Wi-Fi Connection. Players can look forward to the first such downloads on the game's release day, to be followed by additional content every week for a full year!

The other type of download content involves shopping. No, not actual shopping -- the in-game kind of shopping, at item shops and so-forth. By speaking to the Roxanne character in the pub (it appears that she'll be in any pub, no matter what town you're in), you'll be able to download a special item list. With this list on your cartridge, stores throughout the DQ world will offer you new items along with older items under new pricing. Square Enix plans on updating the item lineup every day.

Here's the coolest part about the item lists. Each player will get a different list, meaning everyone will have access to a different set of items. When playing multiplayer, you'll be able to see the host player's item list by simply speaking to their Roxanne.

The Jump story doesn't mention anything about pricing, so we're going to assume all this will be free. If this is the case (and it does seem likely!) expect DQIX to suck up a good amount of player time when it sees release on March 28 over in Japan.

koh-kun
February 7th, 2009, 12:07
I wonder if it's only for DSi because saving dl content the DS cartrige only seems like a lot!

goshogun1
February 7th, 2009, 19:05
I wonder if it's only for DSi because saving dl content the DS cartrige only seems like a lot!

No, other games have things like this. I recall the castlevania games had a shopping wifi thing. Also, 100 classic literary classics had downloadable books via wifi. So no, it's not a Dsi exclusive.