PDA

View Full Version : imminent death of the Twilight Hack ?

wraggster
February 8th, 2009, 09:20
The Wii Doom author posted this on his site:

Because of the imminent death of the Twilight Hack, and not having enough time when I'm home, I'm stepping away from WiiDoom. If anyone would like to take over this project, let me know and I'll hand over the GoogleCode site. It's been so much fun working on this, and I'm very grateful for everyone's support.

I may resume work on this or another project in the future. We'll see....

http://wiidevelopment.blogspot.com/2009/02/moving-on.html

Baboon
February 8th, 2009, 11:09
"imminent death of the Twilight Hack"? ....er... no! lol

wraggster
February 8th, 2009, 12:31
yeah i was kinda puzzled by that comment

wraggster
February 8th, 2009, 12:31
he may know somethig we dont :P

DPyro
February 8th, 2009, 15:14
Well, it's gonna get patched sooner or later :p

Baboon
February 8th, 2009, 15:31
Well, it's gonna get patched sooner or later :p

Only if your silly enough to accept an update...

wisinx
February 8th, 2009, 17:03
Only if your silly enough to accept an update...

:cool:That is correct my friend...:cool:

The_Ultimate_Eggman
February 8th, 2009, 18:57
Tp hack will be good for a long time as long as updates are not forced..Even these on (cough) backups are removed or Gecko bypasses them...

XDelusion
February 8th, 2009, 19:21
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

First the PrBOOM port for the DS gets abandonned, now this!!! Will my project never be able to play on anything but PC's :/

grossaffe
February 8th, 2009, 22:38
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

First the PrBOOM port for the DS gets abandonned, now this!!! Will my project never be able to play on anything but PC's :/

I believe Rockbox has PrBoom

XDelusion
February 10th, 2009, 18:03
What is a Rockbox?

And as for the Wii, I really had high hopes here because PrBOOM is also in OpenGL in Windows and I believe Linux for which case I was hoping for a high resolution port, but no...

...it seems that hardly anybody that works on a port of DOOM takes it seriously or gives it very much commitment. Sad. :/

Oh well, it's good enough for to run the project, but alas it will have cruddy gfx like the ds version.

grossaffe
February 11th, 2009, 06:37
What is a Rockbox?

And as for the Wii, I really had high hopes here because PrBOOM is also in OpenGL in Windows and I believe Linux for which case I was hoping for a high resolution port, but no...

...it seems that hardly anybody that works on a port of DOOM takes it seriously or gives it very much commitment. Sad. :/

Oh well, it's good enough for to run the project, but alas it will have cruddy gfx like the ds version.

Rockbox is a third-party firmware for a variety of mp3 players. It has a Doom port, a GBC emulator, Pacman emulator, various other games, mpeg movie playback... etc.

http://www.rockbox.org/

VampDude
February 13th, 2009, 08:56
I don't need the Twilight Hack, and I'm on 3.2E so I'm happy. :)

Only idiots update, and anyone looking into buying a Wii for homebrew purposes should consider buying a pre-owned console with a possibility that it hasn't been updated since October (to which I successfully upgraded and downgraded). :cool:

Baboon
February 13th, 2009, 11:53
I don't need the Twilight Hack, and I'm on 3.2E so I'm happy. :)

Only idiots update, and anyone looking into buying a Wii for homebrew purposes should consider buying a pre-owned console with a possibility that it hasn't been updated since October (to which I successfully upgraded and downgraded). :cool:

Seeing as it possible to install the twilight hack currently on any firmware then buying a new console shouldn't really be a problem.

VampDude
February 13th, 2009, 11:57
Seeing as it possible to install the twilight hack currently on any firmware then buying a new console shouldn't really be a problem.

But when the next firmware is released though, then it may be a problem if there are no new Twilight Hack releases... Which meaning a newer Wii for some is not an option, though for me it will never come to that. :)

XDelusion
February 14th, 2009, 22:35
Meh... not sure I'd want to play DOOM on a MP3 player, that would seem a bit hard to control.

On the other hand, with a decent Gun attachment for the Wii PrBOOM would be great! I've yet to order my gun, but I've been playing the hell out of the MODs already out there, such as Quake DOOM, Batman DOOM and the like. In fact all my files on doomdc.tk were lost so I'm going to have to re-create the page, and I was going to update things to reflect if the MODs I have there will work on DC, Wii, DS, Wiz, etc...

...but alas, everyone behind these DOOM ports wants to jump ship before the port fully shines. This sux!

I was excited to start working on a project for the DS, then when the Wii got a port I was double excited, then I found out the DS port would prolly never get any more updates, and therefore bug fixes and now this!

I'll say the same thing I've been saying since the Dreamcast and XBOX scenes were alive and well...

...what we need are environments in which those of us who do not code can create out own games....

Ports of Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, DOOM, AVP, etc. Would provide perfect engines and environments to do as such, but alas here we are much later. Quake and Quake 2 on the XBOX still lack OpenGl. AVP is coming along (which rules), Dreamcast has nxDOOM but Bero never finished PrBOOM and nxDOOM has game save issues at times, DS DOOM has bugs that really need fixed, Quake on Wii is buggy as hell, Quake 2 is no where to be scene, and now PrBOOM is being killed just because of the possibility that future Wii consumers won't be able to do a soft hack which in turn ruins the fun for the rest of us, and is really killing my excitement in working on my Star Wars project...

...agh well at least it will run on the Wiz and on Amiga OS.

I'd list Linux and Windows, but those environments are severly lacking and not fun at all, Wii, DS, Amiga, etc...

...now that's exciting! :)

Ok, I'm done bitching...

...I think.