PDA

View Full Version : What Spoils a Game For You?

wraggster
February 8th, 2009, 12:39
MTV's Multiplayer Blog is running an interesting piece about what constitutes a spoiler in video games. The interactivity of a video games, argues the author, often makes it necessary to spoil or reveal at least general characteristics of a game during a review or other informative article. He says, "I believe that writing about games is overly careful. I believe that game scripts, game plots and game endings have been given a pass because critics tend to avoid them or address them with the most ginger touch. I'd at least like the discussion about spoilers to cease being so binary. There is room between avoiding mentioning a plot event and reporting its main details. There is value to addressing anything and everything that is most interesting in a game, and value in doing it with words that express meaning rather than those designed to mask it." So, what do you consider a spoiler for a video game, and how do they affect your enjoyment of the game?

http://games.slashdot.org/games/09/02/08/0529236.shtml

jaws365
February 8th, 2009, 12:57
MTV-music, tits and ass, bad voice acting.

Brainy142
February 9th, 2009, 02:49
I hate Games with bad endings they must DIE!

jamotto
February 9th, 2009, 03:27
Malfunctioning DRM.

Eviltaco64
February 9th, 2009, 04:55
The RRoD! :p

Bad controls and bad music, really.

Shadowblind
February 9th, 2009, 05:01
Bad control and hype

Qmark
February 9th, 2009, 08:16
Mandatory minigames.

pibs
February 9th, 2009, 08:55
Mostly Bad Controls and Crappy Level Design.

quzar
February 9th, 2009, 09:11
Disruptive cutscenes, poor camera control, graphical errors (usually exhibited in bad collision detection, some shapes passing through others), mute areas, purely looping music (even if a game only uses a 10 second loop for a portion, it could instead use a series of 5 second loops that are randomly played back. it would sound better), lack of support for accessories (that would be benefitial), required use of accessories (that aren't benefitial, especially the internet), and oh so much more.

Zack
February 9th, 2009, 10:10
Crappy voice overs. Sonic games should have never had voices in them at all. It's amazing how such a small thing can ruin a game.

Repetitiveness would be the other.