PDA

View Full Version : Study Compares Brain Activity In Games Against Humans and AI

wraggster
February 8th, 2009, 12:40
Ars Technica covers research done using an fMRI machine to map brain activity game players. The study compares brain patterns in players competing against what they think are other humans against what they think is AI. It also goes into the differences in how games affect the male and female brain.
"The human brain appears to try to parse the intentions of others by engaging its own decision-making process; in short, it appears to model another person's mind by seeing what it would do if it were in that other person's skull. The three areas of the brain that the authors identify are involved, in part, in making executive decisions for that brain's owner, in addition to evaluating other people's executive decisions. So, the fact that they're busier when a person thinks they're playing another human could also be interpreted as them focusing harder on an identical decision making process."

http://games.slashdot.org/games/09/02/08/0435258.shtml

apex05
February 8th, 2009, 13:07
Unless i was playing W.O.P.A and it pulled a wargames on me i really wouldn't really care what an ai is thinking