PDA

View Full Version : Piracy: PSP-3000 Costs Less than First Gen

wraggster
February 9th, 2009, 17:55
The entry of Sony's PSP-3000 to the enormous Indonesian market has lead to one of those strange price fluctuations only understood by analysts - usually after they've happened.

According to The Jakarta Globe, "Since no one has yet managed to modify the PSP-3000 to play pirated games, the price of secondhand first and second generation PSPs, which can still be modified, has soared. The regular price for used or refurbished second generation PSPs is around Rp (Ruphia) 3 million (£174) in Jakarta now, while the newer version, PSP-3000, only sells for around Rp 1.8 million (£104)."

Sony was wise to this, apparently cutting "the production of the second generation PSP, so the PSP-3000 is their only available new game device on the market now."

This hasn't stopped the retailers from going after bigger margins, with several apparently, "dispatching their agents to buy refurbished units from PSP factories overseas in Hong Kong, Korea and Japan."

So, a piracy protected device is leading to fewer units being sold. There's a turn-up for the books.

http://news.spong.com/article/17109/Piracy_PSP-3000_Costs_Less_than_First_Gen?cb=784

kyyubidx
February 9th, 2009, 19:22
Come on... Don't tell me you didn't expect this? Its universal knowledge that people want to have stuff without paying for it... That's why CFW is so popular and de 1000's and 2000's are still selling on second hand at crazy prices.

Whether people want to admit it or not piracy is a issue and will always be a issue (isn't it weird that a console that has sold more than the double of the PS3 only has 1 game that breaks the 3 Million mark? The PS3 has six games)... And can you complain about games when the psp is the 3rd best rated console in Famitsu for 2008?

There's a diffence between a game being bad and you not liking it...

jurkevicz
February 9th, 2009, 21:44
Man, if the PS3 had a CFW like the PSP it would be by far the best console ever.

Jinx1337
February 9th, 2009, 22:39
Excuse me? 360 has a far better software-hardware attachment ratio.
Where did you get your data kyyubidx?

Not only that, all the multiplatform titles are selling better on the 360.

PSP software sucks, because 80% of all the worthy games stay in freaking Japan and don't make it here!
That, or we get smothered in DS-like shovelware coming from EA or some other company which thinks PSP is best for shitty puzzle games that feel like made in flash.

God of War, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Crisis Core, Ratchet and Clank, GTA:LCS/VCS, The Warriors - all sold surprisingly well.

And yes jurkevicz - kernel mode open 360/PS3 would be a freaking blessing being the powerhouses these system are.

Just look at the good ol' Xbox 1 and how awesome Media Center it makes.

kyyubidx
February 9th, 2009, 23:01
did i mention the 360? i was comparing the ps3 and the psp for obvious reason (ps3 has sold half of the psp's units) who did ever call the 360 into the mix? I was comparing the less pirated console and the highest pirated one, now if you couldn't get that that's too damn bad (i got the data from vgchartz.com btw)

You are forgetting Lumines, Battlefront II, MFH 2 and 2nd G, Daxter and a few others... But besides LCS none of these games got past the 3 Million mark.

As for more PSP games in Japan, MOST OF THEM ARE SHOVELWARE do we really need more?? Check your facts, there are very few games that came out there I'd like to see here (Shinseiki Evangelions 2 and Bleach: Heat the Soul series being the only one I can think of)

You may not like Puzzle Games but even if you don't like it those are some of the best games for portable consoles. You know why? It's called "casual gaming" and you might not have heard of it but it has lots of success.

Buddy4point0
February 9th, 2009, 23:51
I'm glad, an unhackable psp means less piracy and more good games.

apex05
February 10th, 2009, 00:45
Sony might finaly have to put some thought into the Psp, they had reasonable hardware sales with s****y software sales on a profitable console, but with an unhackable Psp 3000 that might slowly reverse, they gonna have to try some whole new marketing strategies to keep the platform healthy

Mauragon
February 10th, 2009, 02:11
I'm holding on to my PSP-1000. If there are refurbished units out there maybe I should start buying them.

animekid4
February 10th, 2009, 04:44
Sometimes I doubt if some of ya'll enjoy games the way you can debate the CRAP out of em. I wish 4chan or something would crash Gamespot/Gamefaqs for a few days so some people can actually go and enjoy a game without any outside opinion.

ricosuavez
February 10th, 2009, 08:28
maybe if the psp 3000 would be able to play or load homebrew natively that would help sales ... sony once talked about having some kind of dev kit for homebrew a while back but never delivered...

i use my psp(fat & slim) mostly for homebrew and i would be interested in the 3000 if it was homebrew enable
even if it could not play iso files ....;)

triverse
February 10th, 2009, 14:08
Man, if the PS3 had a CFW like the PSP it would be by far the best console ever.

The PS3 kind of has something better, you can use Linux and there are quite a few emulation programs for various systems for it already, just compile for PS3 and your good to go.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
February 10th, 2009, 16:06
Smart move by sony i'll say. :)

dangee
February 10th, 2009, 17:58
there must be some entertaining PSP bid action on ebay.

As much as I'd love to believe that homebrew apps & emulators are worth
the price of 4-5 UMD games, kyyubidx's POV is a more convincing
explanation of this market spike.

Hopefully Sony business planners still have some hair left to tear
out - just in case the 3000 gets hacked.

sappo
February 10th, 2009, 18:54
The PS3 kind of has something better, you can use Linux and there are quite a few emulation programs for various systems for it already, just compile for PS3 and your good to go.

Too bad almost all of them run like s**t thanks to the RSX hypervisor Sony placed.

kyyubidx
February 10th, 2009, 18:57
Hell, I shouldn't say this but I got a clear conscience so I got nothing to hide.

I used to pandorize PSP for people (freely, unlike retailers I know of that ask for 25+€) so that they could use emulators, which are quite popular in my circle of friends. Somehow word got around and lots of people started coming to me for "pandorization" of their PSP's. I said to myself, "hell why not?" and did it. A few weeks later I come to one of these kids and see he was playing Crisis Core and asked him where he bought the game (because a friend of mine wanted it) and he turned to me and said: "buy? why? i can get it free on the internet"
Being a huge SE fan and supporter (i own almost all of their PSP games) that kinda broke my heart and I stopped pandorizing PSP ever since.

Point of this: People will always go the FREE way if they can. THat's why the PS3 is a epic win for Sony. Now it just needs proper software backup

Qmark
February 10th, 2009, 20:59
Give PSP an "App Store", similar to what Apple does, and not only does piracy diminish, but all those crazy bastards making PSP homebrew can actually make some money out of the deal.

Art
February 10th, 2009, 21:55
Yeah, homebrew wasn't factored into the rant at all.

If it didn't play ISOs I'd still be after an old model for homebrew.

dangee
February 11th, 2009, 02:37
Give PSP an "App Store", similar to what Apple does, and not only does piracy diminish, but all those crazy bastards making PSP homebrew can actually make some money out of the deal.

not necessarily.
If it was anything like the appstore, there's
licensing,commission, minimum system upgrade expenses to consider, and errm , I've read 1 or 2 appstore bad beat storie$ online about, yeah you guessed it... piracy

Qmark
February 11th, 2009, 03:02
Consider this:
A: If I want homebrew on my PSP, my only option is to crack it.
B: If I want to pirate ISOs and play them on my PSP, my only option is to crack it.

Sony is hosing out homebrew because the very ability to run homebrew brings along the ability to run ISOs. If someone can turn his PSP into a universal remote, a youtube viewer, or a metronome without having to hunt down a cracked battery and a magic memory stick, that same someone is probably not going to think to hop on a torrent site and download Dissidia.

Nokiaman
February 11th, 2009, 10:49
No HB=No deal
Really.I am emu nerd and I just can't live without emus

kyyubidx
February 11th, 2009, 11:43
Qmark: So are in favor of something equivalent do XNA iniciative by Microsoft for the X360? But Sony would never support stuff like emulators =\

Qmark
February 11th, 2009, 12:11
But Sony would never support stuff like emulators =\Yeah, I know.
Better something than nothing, at any rate.

channey8423
February 17th, 2009, 09:02
MaxConsole can exclusively reveal that the brand new PSP 3000 model is now perfectly hackable thanks to Datel's newest tool battery that will put the PSP 3000 into service mode. Once you're in service mode, you can downgrade your PSP and pretty much do what you want with it! The new crypto processor based battery is called the LITE BLUE TOOL battery and will enable the service mode on both PSP 2000 and PSP 3000 models. It will come with the option to toggle between a service mode and normal mode, and also features a built in LED power gauge.