PDA

View Full Version : Flame War: My Controller is Better Than YOURS!

wraggster
February 14th, 2009, 15:47
PS3's controller is too light! Xbox 360 ripped off PS2! The Wiimote makes you look like an idiot when you wave it around! Which controller is the best? Which is the dumbest?!

You cannot be banned for anything you say in this thread. But otherwise, rational arguments or pure flamebait, fire away.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5153154/flame-war-my-controller-is-better-than-yours

ricosuavez
February 14th, 2009, 16:37
playstation is my choice ...i like the disposition of the button and analog better and it doesnt
feel like a brick(bulky) when you hold it...;)

silverstein101
February 14th, 2009, 16:46
ps3 is the best, imo. 360 is pretty nice too. 360 is a bit of a rip off from sony, but they did a good job

Zargon
February 14th, 2009, 17:09
I hate the wiimote. Nuff said.

BlacknBlue13
February 14th, 2009, 17:35
I like the PS3 the best, the dualshock is definitely not too light. The 360 one isn't too bad but the toggles are odd and I always overshoot my target.

mungrin
February 14th, 2009, 17:37
I cant play fighting games with the ps3 remote.Hurts my hands.Maybe its just me.I liked the Dreamcast controller best.

mike_jmg
February 14th, 2009, 18:10
Dualshock 2 is the best controller, the one for PS3, six axis, Dualshock 3 or whatever is a failed mimic attempt of the 360 controller.

They changed the L2 and R2 for something like gun triggers which work and feel awful, on the Xbox it has always been like that. But why change something if it isn't broken

360 controller has some nice trigger buttons but the RB and LB buttons are simply too awkward

Wii mote is a piece of garbage, is like a damn TV remote

well, that's my opinion, long live Dualshock 2

Malksta
February 14th, 2009, 18:10
360 controller is nice, but I prefer the PS3's controller.

osgeld
February 14th, 2009, 18:12
i find the ps3's lower shoulder buttons to be a pita, but i get very little playtime on the ps3 so maybe thats something that is overcome with ownership

the wimote is a peice of crap, it flakes out, gets stuck and causes you to flail like a impaled retard

i have to agree with mike, that the best one recently was the dual shock 2, my all time favorite was the 6 button asclii pad (or however it was spelled) for the sega genesis, an aftermarket gem that was a 6 button controller in a snes layout, rock solid and very very short button throw, making 100% precision control like you needed in those old games

Brainy142
February 14th, 2009, 19:12
360 dpad is a POS and sticks need a bit too much movement to move (low sensitivity).
ps3 controller having a dpad on the top is stupid.
wii classic controller is stupid and huts my hands.
game cube controller is a complete FAIL.
all controllers should be made or something soft.
also controllers should be lighter.

beetroot bertie
February 14th, 2009, 19:43
I think the 360 controller is the best of the current bunch, even if the d-pad could be better. I wouldn't say it was ripped off the PS2 either but more like an evolution of the Dreamcast controller. The Dreamcast d-pad, as angular as it was, would still be preferable to the one on the 360 controller. I honestly really dislike the sony controllers as I find the sicks too low down and the d-pad toss.

Accordion
February 14th, 2009, 20:53
the best controller is the pre-dual shock Analog controller for the original Playstation.

The grips are slightly larger, longer, slightly altered shoulder placement , and indented analog sticks make it the best controller i have ever used. Shame it only had one iteration and the dual shock removed all its best features.

that1guywiththeface
February 14th, 2009, 21:59
While I have no real issues with any of the three controllers, I think that the wii-mote is the best when used with a good game. Unfortunately, those that fall into that category are few and far between. I've played and enjoyed shooters on all three consoles, and I feel that the game with the best controls (as of this post) is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. However, this is about the only example of good execution, probably due in large part to the Wii's hardware limitations. I also really like it's ability to serve as a light-gun of sorts when used with the Wii Perfect Shot. I am not trying to belittle the Xbox 360 or PS3, I just feel that the best controls on the Wii are better than the best controls on the other two. The average and the mediocre are a different story though.

fpcreator2000
February 14th, 2009, 22:33
For 3D games, X360 is my favorite controller.
For 2D fighting games, Sega Saturn is the best (the fighting stick as was for the same system).

Planning on getting the Street Fighter Arcade Stick. I think that could be judged as the best fighting game stick currently.

El Stefio
February 15th, 2009, 01:43
In this day and age it has to be the DS3 all the way. In a world of dual-analogue controlled games, I fail to see the logic in having your thumbs at different levels.

Going back a few years, the Dreamcast pad was excellent - the first pad in the world that actually allowed for decent control of an FPS. Q3 with that was actually fun.

The Wii-mote is good for one game - Excite Truck.

Spanishpeacock
February 15th, 2009, 03:07
PS3 controllers are awesome. Not too much has changed since the original analog controllers, so going from PS1 to PS2 to PS3 has been very easy. I like a controller that I haven't had to look down at for 9 years.

I don't know why so many people don't like the Wii remote, or the Gamecube controller, if they're going to complain about any controller, try the N64 controller.

SegaDave
February 15th, 2009, 05:39
I think the 360 controller feels good, but I have larger hands,
Sonys Controllers have always had a comfortable feel to me to hold but placement of sticks and buttons are spaced a little off for me. For the most part controllers for systems seen to fit the model, with one exception, The 3DO, I have one and have never been able to fully get into any games because the controller just feels bad to me, Yes even worse than the Jag ( I know kiddies, Old school, but all systems previous have led to what we have today)

El Stefio
February 15th, 2009, 09:48
I forgot to mention - if you're playing Ridge Racer Type 4, then nothing on Earth approaches the bliss that is the jogcon. Now there is a pad that should be re-released for the the modern market, and much more supported as well...

basilb
February 15th, 2009, 13:03
lol 360 pad ripped off ps2?

Qmark
February 15th, 2009, 13:10
One of the best controllers I've ever used is the original Microsoft Sidewinder.

bagmouse7
February 15th, 2009, 14:17
If the DualShock 3 had better lower shoulder buttons it would be best, but as it is they are they are very poorly done. They should have either made them a little bigger with more trigger action (like the 360s), or they should have made them exactly like the original Dual-Analog.

This page gives you a good compairson of the orginal Dual-Analog and the Dual Shock:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/hardware/dual-analog-pad/

The Wii Remote is the worst for "serious" gamers. It just does not give the accurate control that I prefer. Sure it is fun to use when playing Wii Tennis against an 8 year old, but it just does not cut it for hardcore gaming...

The 360 controller almost gets it right, but the staggered analog sticks just does not seem as good as having both sticks at the bottom like Sony does.

lugi
February 15th, 2009, 20:00
dcemu is hurting for people huh?
Flame War?
Lawls at this forum. Fail.

iniquitous_beast
February 15th, 2009, 20:03
I like the way that the xbox360 controller fits my hands so perfectly. I also like the slightly softer resistance in its analog sticks.

The PS2 controller comes in a close second, but I need to hold it more loosely so that my thumbs rest better in the sticks.

Finally, I would like to give an honorable mention to the original xbox's Big Duke controller. While it was awkwardly massive, you could really feel its rumble, and I loved how tightly spaced its four main buttons were. I didn't have to move my thumb much at all for quick button presses.

m-p{3}
February 15th, 2009, 21:43
I don't even own a Sony console, but I own a Logitech RumblePad 2 (which is very close, see pic (http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/Logitech-Rumblepad2-L23-637.jpg)) and it is my all-time favorite.

SSaxdude
February 16th, 2009, 05:08
I like the 360 controller a lot. The PS3 controller is alright but too light and I prefer the old shoulder buttons. The Wiimote is a pain cause it doesn't work spot on. The Dreamcast controller is good, especially for Dreamcast exclusive games. The SNES controller is real good. I love the 6 button Genesis controller but hate the 3 button controller for many games, especially Mortal Kombat. The N64 controller was good for N64 exclusive games, but made games like Tony Hawk a pain.

havoc_012
February 16th, 2009, 06:17
I know its not cool to praise anything related to the wii, but the classic controller is really good. It has a nice dpad, which is pretty uncommon.

PS3 controller is alright, but the L2/R2 triggers are curved backwards and the analog sticks are uncomfortable and in the wrong spot.

The 360 controller has great analog sticks that feel comfortable, but the worst dpad ever made, so its kinda a toss up.

maxipower90
February 16th, 2009, 18:30
Wiiwote is nothing more that a insensitive Dildo

PS3 Controllers analouge gives my hands cramps

360 controller is the best IMO

wolfpack
February 16th, 2009, 22:51
Sega Genesis 6-button gamepad

End of story :p

jamotto
February 17th, 2009, 11:30
No huge difference between the xbox 360 controller and the DS3, just a few minutes to get used to the button layout.

neloangelo
February 17th, 2009, 19:25
omg you people need to stop hating on the wii-mote so much

the changes to the ps3 controller feel awkward. the sixaxis is completely useless and in no way rivals the wii-mote in any way. the new triggers for the R2 & L2 button are so awkward it makes me want to throw up

the 360 controller is in no way a rip-off of sony's. like the other guy said i believe it's an update to the dreamcast control but the d-pad is ass. normally when playing fighting games i would never use the analog but the 360's d-pad is so terrible i have to use the analog

now the wii-mote can be both good and terrible depending on the developer's choice of controls. on one hand when used right the wii-mote can give you the most control no other traditional controller can possibly imagine.

on the other hand when used poorly which usually happens when lazy developer's attempt to emulate traditional controls on the wii it fails because the wii-mote is not a traditional contoller. this is what the classic controller is for. which is very comfortable by the way. only missing pressure sensitive buttons

you want to see the wii-mote put to good use? play rayman raving rabbids. i have never seen the wii-mote used as creatively as the way it's used in those games. when used in racing games you have an enormous amount of control compared to traditional controllers.

you would think the ps3's sixaxis would be able to rival this right? well there are some other configuration options that it would never be able to accomplish. NFS: Carbon has a setup that i used because the wii-mote buttons are not pressure sensitive so i would accelerate at top speed all the time, but with the other setup you use the wii-mote as the accelerator, similar to the foot pedal of a car, and the nunchuk to steer with one hand. not only does it compensate for the pressure sensitive buttons but does it stylishly

wii sports is a good example of the amount of control you have. i've had my wii for over a year now and i'm still finding new ways to play wii sports. one of the things i like most about it is that everyone can play the way they want to. when watching other people playing with my wii...( lol sounds perverted ) i noticed that everyone plays the same game differently which is great. you have the freedom to play whichever way you feel is most comfortable when not restricted to traditional control setups.

In conclusion the wii introduces some of the most creative ways to play games that you can never see on the limited potential of traditional controllers, but i will not say one is better than the other because that is just opinion and holds no importance. i enjoy playing on all of the consoles. you may continue your trash talking.

DrBlue
February 17th, 2009, 20:15
The Sega Master System pad is truly the greatest of them all :)

quicksilver02
February 21st, 2009, 07:59
ill go with the playstation controller. but the xbox and wii controller looks cool too :)