PDA

View Full Version : "I Know I'm Young, But I Plan To Be A Good Dad"

wraggster
February 16th, 2009, 21:22
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2009/02/504x_patten_uk.jpg

That's baby faced, 13-year-old father Alfie Patten, 15 year-old mother Chantelle Steadman, and their newborn baby Maisie.

During the baby's first days out of the hospital, Patten and Steadman spent their time caring for the baby and playing Saints Row II. From UK tabloid The Sun:

The four-footer — who looks no more than eight — said: "I know I'm young, but I plan to be a good dad."

As he went on the PlayStation with 15-year-old girlfriend Chantelle Steadman, he added: "I think we'll be good parents. I'll have to work extra hard at school."

Chantelle looked up from 18-rated action game Saints Row II to admit her first night out of hospital since having 7lb 3oz daughter Maisie had been tough and had left her "in a daze".

Saints Row II? Wait just a second. How they hell did they get Saints Row II?! That game is for adults, not kids. Adults. These two are so not ready for Saints Row II. Nobody doubt their sincerity in wanting to play Saints Row II. They're too damn young. Somebody tell their parents before it's too late!

Aside: When I was 13, I had a paper route.

http://kotaku.com/5154088/i-know-im-young-but-i-plan-to-be-a-good-dad

wraggster
February 16th, 2009, 21:24
i would slap the pair of em if they were mine

shadowprophet
February 16th, 2009, 22:13
Thats too young for kids, the child should be in the custody of the grandparents...

I will not waver on this,, that is just too young to know anything about parenting...

Triv1um
February 16th, 2009, 22:46
That picture always makes me giggle.

The playstation isn't on, and they arent looking at a screen. Follow the eyes. They are in completly different places.

Still, I couldn't really care. Irresponsible kids, not my problem.

Maybe the benifits she will recieve will pay for her dentist bill, there is a lot of work to be done there.

dejkirkby
February 17th, 2009, 07:34
It is easy to blame them, and to a large extent I definitely do. But I believe other entities deserve to shoulder some of this shitstorm with them.
Their parents and families.
Their schools and teachers.
Their local Social Services.
All are to blame and all should be made accountable.

VampDude
February 17th, 2009, 15:13
Haha, that little f*cker looks like he's about 6 years old.

And how the hell can he be playing the PS3 whilst holding that thing (the baby) and it (the controller - the lights?) not even being on?

- - -

They are getting too much publicity, and they don't even deserve it.

If they had the PS3 (or a games console) in the first place, they wouldn't be parents. They would still be kids enjoying their childhood, and playing a kids game too I might add.

ICE
February 17th, 2009, 15:48
Children are irresponsible by nature. They're children. The parents or guardians are manly at fault here. Its their job to keep the kids out of crap like this.

Blue Protoman
February 17th, 2009, 17:05
This is...alarming indeed.

All three of their lives are gonna suck.

Related: This is not the world record for youngest birth. Remember when that 5-year-old child got pregnant and had a kid?

VampDude
February 17th, 2009, 17:37
Related: This is not the world record for youngest birth. Remember when that 5-year-old child got pregnant and had a kid?

You mean Lina Medina, who gave birth at the age of 5 in 1939. Which her dad got arrested on charges for incest and stuff, not related as such but she was younger.

Malksta
February 17th, 2009, 18:07
How the **** can a child and a fish reproduce?

Blue Protoman
February 17th, 2009, 20:16
Child and a fish? What?

@VD: That might be her. I didn't know the name. They don't know who the father was.

Eviltaco64
February 17th, 2009, 21:04
Child and a fish? What?

I think he was implying that the mother looked like a fish. :P

apex05
February 17th, 2009, 22:21
I saw a lot of 14+ year old parents where i grew up, and the simple fact is in better, richer areas it happens less

VampDude
February 17th, 2009, 22:50
@VD: That might be her. I didn't know the name. They don't know who the father was.

The father apparently was the girls dad, but they had no evidence to go on. Although it probably was, because how else would a 5 year old have a baby? The sick thing was that she was 5 years and 7 months, meaning that she was roughly 4 years and 10 months when whatever happened (they later locked away a mentally disabled boy).

I saw a lot of 14+ year old parents where i grew up, and the simple fact is in better, richer areas it happens less

It doesn't happen less in the richer areas, sadly the slums mingle and ruin anything good.

When I was younger, there were no teen pregnancies... And now where I'm originally from (Surrey), it's as bad as anywhere else which makes me angry. Though I don't care, because it's not my life that is messed up (I say that selfishly). lmao

fg-54
February 21st, 2009, 19:02
wow! so the kid is only gonna be like 13 years younger then his dad? o_0

VampDude
February 21st, 2009, 20:05
wow! so the kid is only gonna be like 13 years younger then his dad? o_0

Which is not setting a very good example, because when the kid is 13 the dad will only be 26... Which is no life for either, I bet the kid will eventually be taken into care (which someone already mentioned).

newb_fo_life
February 21st, 2009, 23:36
its like,your in school and your teacher is ask's you

"So how old is your father?"
and your gonna reply
"Oh hes 17" I would find that,SO AWKWARD

VampDude
February 22nd, 2009, 15:03
It's like, your in school and your teacher is asks you:

"So how old is your father?"
and your gonna reply
"Oh he's 17" I would find that SO AWKWARD.

When the boy is 17, the kid will be about 4. So I doubt that a 4 year old would even have it enter their brain how old their parents are... Until maybe a few years later, when they see that their parents are younger than all the other parents. Which then they will feel awkward, because kids can be cruel to one another amongst themselves. Especially about stuff that has been covered by the media on such a huge level, that everyone knows who and where they are.

quicksilver02
February 24th, 2009, 10:43
all eyes on the young father, i wish the best of luck for him. that guy is now handling his own kid, while i cant stand my annoying little cousin :P (but i still love him though)

iniquitous_beast
February 24th, 2009, 13:44
The simple fact that his method of responsible fatherhood is to "work harder in school" already tells me that the actual handling of the child will be performed by someone else. There is no way that someone his age will have their own access to the resources necessary to raise a healthy child.

As for how this happened, my money is on boredom. Teens of that young age have a ton of sexual energy. It is the responsibility of the parents to keep tabs on their kids at that age and make sure that they are too well-occupied in recreation or education to have the necessary free time to sexually experiment.

As for Wraggster's comment - Don't you think that is too little too late? Having a kid at 13 is a bigger slap in the face than anything we could give them.

Blue Protoman
February 24th, 2009, 21:56
Well, apparently, yes it is.

Triv1um
February 24th, 2009, 23:07
there's no way that little boy can produce a child. not possible

He is 13, he is more than able at that age... :rolleyes:

fg-54
February 26th, 2009, 01:39
the things that surprises me most is that the kid actually taped that, she is hideous! and freaky! o_0

Blue Protoman
February 27th, 2009, 21:06
The girl reminds me of my aunt for some reason...

quzar
March 28th, 2009, 03:42
Update! http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25250230-663,00.html

Turns out he's not the father. They don't know who is.

Darksaviour69
March 28th, 2009, 03:55
lol

tell you what, i bet this won't be as big of a story as the first one

VampDude
March 28th, 2009, 12:07
Haha, well the kid was one in about nine possibilities for the father. Which I believe was said when the story first broke, and for some reason I thought he wasn't the father (to the funny things I think)... Personally, I now don't even think he even did anything (or even knew how). lol

the_eternal_dark
March 30th, 2009, 06:32
Children are irresponsible by nature. They're children. The parents or guardians are manly at fault here. Its their job to keep the kids out of crap like this.

As opposed to girly responsible? :rofl:

So, doesn't that make her a borderline pedo? The kid (father) looks about 6 years old. I have a feeling she will be a teacher in the future and end up with another 13 year old, by the time she turns 25.

This sh*t is always in the news..