PDA

View Full Version : is my psp done for

Thebambino
February 17th, 2009, 00:32
Hello
I just got a PSP from a friend and we think it is toast. Here is what I need help with.

It is a year old psp slim. I do not know what firmware version it was running before it stopped working.
When you power on the psp it will load the default background but no icons ever come up. The screen is not frozen because you can see that the background is moving. When I power down the PSP I have to hold the power button for about 15 sec before it will turn off.
I removed the battery from the psp for about 8 hrs or so and turned it back on.. It loaded find and I was able to navigate around the Icons.. I did not have alot of time to mess with it so I powered it off. I now have the same issues... NO icons. I have also tried to just use the AC adapter thinking it was a battery issues but that doesn't work either.. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE ???

Viralmind
February 17th, 2009, 00:36
I would try taking the battery back out for a few hours in able for
it to [hopefully] load back up correct again and then reformat/upgrade your firmware and see if that helps.
maybe corrupted XMB somehow.

Thebambino
February 17th, 2009, 00:46
by the way.. the one time that it did load right for me I was able to go in and set it back to default settings. I also downloaded the latest firmware package, but when I tried to install it it said that my battery was to low to complete the install. I plugged in the AC cord and clicked install but again it said my battery was to low to install.. I canceled the install and the screen froze. When I tried to turn the power back on it would not load the icons anymore.. I will try to leave the battery out over night and see it that will help.

mike_jmg
February 17th, 2009, 05:19
That happened to me with a friend's PSP, was the first slim I hacked and I was really freaked out

It wouldn't load anything but the background and the waves, it was because I created a poor excuse of a magic memory stick

Anyway
Here is what I did and hope will work with yours

Enter Recovery mode (shut it down completely and turn it back on while pressing the R button)
Once on recovery browse through the options and use the one that says format flash1.

I think it will work, as you said that once you tried restoring default settings and it worked a little, this is like a more definitive "restore to default settings" option

Hope it works as with my friend's PSP

Thebambino
February 17th, 2009, 17:08
I tried turning my psp on while holding the R button but nothing happened. I don't have custom firm ware installed on my PSP as far as I know.

mike_jmg
February 17th, 2009, 18:16
Try leaving the battery out for a very long time, like 2 or 3 days, if that doesn't work

Then try installing custom firmware, that might solve the problem

Thebambino
February 17th, 2009, 20:20
thanks for all the help.. I hope it will work for me.

SifJar
February 18th, 2009, 20:03
You could try getting a Pandora battery and installing CFW. May help. Also, try charging the battery to full, then removing it for a while and then if it starts do the firmware update, because now you have full battery. If that doesn't work, remove the battery for a while and when you get it to work dont power off, just sleep. Also, try another battery, if you can borrow one from a friend or anything. Hopefully something will work :)