PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Ogm files to usable Psp ones

dogstar
February 7th, 2006, 23:12
Hi i wrote this tutorial to help anyone who was having problems turning Ogm files into ones that can be played on the psp (mp4):

Tutorial: getting ogm files onto psp, while still keeping subtitles and audio tracks.

A lot of anime is released as .ogm files. the problem is, .ogm is not supported by psp (obviously), and the few programs that can do the conversion from ogm to mp4 are shit. Luckily, I have a way to do this using 3 simple programs:

VirtualDubMod: this program will allow you to turn your ogm files to avis, as well as export the sound and subtitles to allow them to be converted. You can get it here:
http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

FreeRip: this is the program I use to turn the .ogg vorbis audio files ripped from the ogm video into usable mp3 files. You can get it here: http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml

You will need one other program, an avi to mp4 (psp format) converter. The one I use is datel’s max media manager, but there are many others. I don’t feel I need to list any because if your putting videos onto a psp, I’m sure you have one, and if it doesn’t support avi, then hell, what does it support?

Ok now for the tutorial part:

First, open up virtualdubmod, then open your video file.
Next, go to “streams” then “stream list”. This lists all of the sound and subtitle files for your ogm file. To export one to be put into the avi we are making, simply click Demux.

After you have Demuxed the sound file you wish to use, its time to make the video portion of the avi.

Go to the video tab, and click “direct stream copy”. If you leave it on full processing mode, your going to end up with a file that is like 500 gigabytes, so make SURE you do this. Next, go to file, save as, and type in a name for your avi file. Congratulations, you now have an avi video file. However it needs sound.

Open up freerip or whatever program you are using to convert the sound. The reason you even have to convert the sound from .ogg is because .avi does not support .ogg.

Once freerip is opened, click “tools”, “convert single audio file”. Open the .ogg sound file you demuxed, and convert it to an mp3.

After the file is converted, re-open virtualdubmod. Open the avi file you made from the ogm, and click “streams”, “stream list”. From here, you see the list is empty, meaning there is no sound. Click “add”, and open up the mp3 you made with freerip.

Congratulations! You now have a working avi from your ogm that has sound! Simply go file, save, and your done! (btw make sure the video tab is still set to direct stream copy)

After this you simply need to use something like max media manager to turn your avi into a mp4, the put it onto your psp

I hope this helps out anyone who had the same problem I did.

Kaiser
February 8th, 2006, 01:31
Excellent guide dogstar :)

edit: front paged

JadaBloom
February 8th, 2006, 03:39
Great guide man but if you want something a lil easier say if ur doing this for say 60 eps then this becomes a lil tiedious try this link i'm sure you'll be happy with it =) http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogmtoavi

dogstar
February 8th, 2006, 04:27
Great guide man but if you want something a lil easier say if ur doing this for say 60 eps then this becomes a lil tiedious try this link i'm sure you'll be happy with it =) http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogmtoavi
all the converters i tried eather made the video look like shit, or they only supported the 1st audio track. since japaneese is the main track on almost all my movies, using programs like that were useless. plus most converters you loose a bit of quality, but doing it my way you keep as far as I can tell almost all the quality of the origional ogm

Joe88
February 8th, 2006, 05:15
Here a better guide from modsyn the creator of jMEnc2 from our fourms.

if english is the first audio track then you're cool. use the avisynth that comes
with jMEnc. it's the latest. also, you'll need the .OGG/.OGM directshow
fileters
from http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ogg-Media-DirectShow-filters-Download-19834.html

then, you can use jMEnc to convert them to a .MP4

if you want them to be an avi, you'll need to use this batch file (assuming
you install jMEnc to Program FilesjMEnc) and avisynth scripts
for each video make an avisynth script like this:
Code:

DirectShowSource("videoName.ogm", fps=29.970,convertfps=true)

name them similar to 'ep01.avs', 'ep02.avs', etc...

then the batch file:
Code:

cd %programfiles%jMEnc
includeffmpegffmpeg.exe -i %1 -y -vcodec copy -vtag XVID -vcodec copy -acodec mp3 -ab 128 -ar 44100 -ac 2 %1.avi

pause

save all of that as ogm2avi.bat and then drag your .avs videos on it. it'll
save them in the same directory as your videos.

JadaBloom
February 8th, 2006, 05:47
Heh have you tried that program it's a losslessy conversion and as well as a batch convertor and to mention you get to pick and choose if you want jap or eng audio preserves subs. I used to do the same as you using virtual dub to re encode the videos after demuxing them but it's a pain. This is an automated gui that basically does exactly what you do it's just automated =P honestly tho give it a try you won't be dissapointed the only thing I couldn't get it to do was use diff fonts for that I had to manually do the re encoding =(

BTW Here's a lil description for video loss from the authors site.

OGM to AVI is a simple program that converts Ogg Media (OGM) files to the Audio Video Interchange (AVI) format. This program is unique in that it supports fast batch conversion without loss of video quality. The beta .3 release adds a full drag-and-drop enabled GUI to further streamline the conversion process.

Joe88
February 8th, 2006, 06:23
Ill take a look at that program.
ALso for that guide just follow the first steps for the other on top. Rmove the subs and JP language and stuff. To reduce size and instead of reecoding to AVI put it back to OGM and use the AVIsynth file to convert using jMEnc2.

AcerVenutra
February 8th, 2006, 14:23
Good guide, but there is a shorter sequence for converting to PMP player.

After converting ogg to mp3, instead of re-launching VirtuDubMod just load the avi and mp3 files into the PMP muxer and there you go. Ta-da!

But remember the screen resolution has to be 480x272 or less, so if the size is larger add a 'resize' filter when you save the avi from virtubdubmod.

Joe88
February 8th, 2006, 20:13
Not another one of you who love PMP over MP4 and AVC.
Its way harder to convert to PMP then to a standard MP4.

AcerVenutra
February 9th, 2006, 14:36
Not another one of you who love PMP over MP4 and AVC.
Its way harder to convert to PMP then to a standard MP4.

I wouldn't say I love PMP format- I also use MP4. They both have disadvantages.

MP4- restricted to certain resolutions. Awkward file naming restrictions.

PMP- Awkward muxing process. Files can't be played on computer.

Plus, in both cases I'm still trying to find a re-encoder that is FAST.

I did love the original PSP MediaPlayer, which plays both AVI and MP4 files, but it crashed constantly.

Joe88
February 10th, 2006, 04:42
Heh have you tried that program it's a losslessy conversion and as well as a batch convertor and to mention you get to pick and choose if you want jap or eng audio preserves subs. I used to do the same as you using virtual dub to re encode the videos after demuxing them but it's a pain. This is an automated gui that basically does exactly what you do it's just automated =P honestly tho give it a try you won't be dissapointed the only thing I couldn't get it to do was use diff fonts for that I had to manually do the re encoding =(

BTW Here's a lil description for video loss from the authors site.

OGM to AVI is a simple program that converts Ogg Media (OGM) files to the Audio Video Interchange (AVI) format. This program is unique in that it supports fast batch conversion without loss of video quality. The beta .3 release adds a full drag-and-drop enabled GUI to further streamline the conversion process.
I just convert a 233MB OGM with it and its a amazing program. Even though its beta its still worked perfectly without quality loss. But added 5 extra MB to the file which doesnt matter.
I would recommend using that program instead.

preetyforu
December 27th, 2007, 08:37
P.S. I'd just found out that my files on mp4 are smaller and they are in blocks when i expand the video to a wider screen. So, to start with ogm, what is the best format to convert to with minimum space needed and good quality of video is maintained even when expanded.. tell me the application

preety
webmaster
http://www.entertainmentvenues.org