PDA

View Full Version : PS3 firmware 2.7 details leaked?

Shrygue
February 19th, 2009, 20:54
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=208685)

A thread on the Game Trailers' forum (http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/736764?page=1) claims to have the details on what we can expect from the next PS3 firmware drop.

Nothing's been confirmed by Sony and we'll ask for a 'no comment' when people turn up for work. All this info comes from a source who is said to work "in an R&D department at Sony". Stranger things have happened...

Friends List:

Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
Home Integration: Saved PlayStation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.

Gamer Card & Trophies:

Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the PlayStation Store aesthetic.
Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting "Recent Trophy History" option.
Newly acquired trophies auto-sync in the background
Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.

In-Game XMB:

Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seamless in-game experience.
"Theme settings" options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.

Ultima Chocochu
February 20th, 2009, 06:32
Wow, if this was true it'd be a much appreciated update.
More so about the speed of the In-Game XMB and being able to access the internet browser while playing a game...THAT'D be awesome X]
If not true, oh well, but if so that's awesome.

jonezybaby
February 20th, 2009, 15:33
we still want access to the music on XMB to listen ingame for thos games that dont have custom soundtracks!

Ultima Chocochu
February 20th, 2009, 18:07
We actually already have that, it's now the developers faults for not putting it in there.
In PixelJunk Monsters when the game was updated, you could run music off the XMB(they told people they now added that)
SO Sony has added that since they added In-Game XMB, now the developers just have to put whatever enables that in there.

F9zDark
February 21st, 2009, 16:39
Supposedly the reason for this is because Microsoft, supposedly, has a patent on facilitating the play of music off the HDD while in a game.

Regardless of that, Sony should establish it as a STANDARD, ie, ALL developers must follow it.

Same goes for trophy support.

Then again, considering Sony's position in this war, they really cannot afford to piss off the companies making games for their system.

Ultima Chocochu
February 22nd, 2009, 00:14
Yeah, stuff they added isn't quite being implemented due to the developers not being FORCED to do it.
I like the fact trophies are mandatory, and I don't understand why certain other things aren't yet.
I've heard about the patent thing before, but it's kind of hard to believe, wouldn't any computer be in vilation of this then? Just a thought, but yeah.

F9zDark
February 22nd, 2009, 18:21
Yeah, stuff they added isn't quite being implemented due to the developers not being FORCED to do it.
I like the fact trophies are mandatory, and I don't understand why certain other things aren't yet.
I've heard about the patent thing before, but it's kind of hard to believe, wouldn't any computer be in vilation of this then? Just a thought, but yeah.

I was always of the impression that Software patents weren't allowed in the US. Quite frankly, if they are or if they ever become allowed, the ramifications of such would wholly damage all industries involved.

We have seen how "patent-hoarding" companies have tried to sue game console manufacturers over the last few years over very stupid things (and things that these companies would NEVER make, but they paid for the PATENT so they have the right to sue over it).

Imagine how this would change the world if software that we use every day was patented; it would almost entirely eliminate competition because, while there are many ways of doing things with software, there are often only a few ways of doing it right, let alone doing it at all with more advanced software.

And what does the patent cover:

1)What the software does?
2)How the software is written (ie can enough changes to workings of the software allow for another company to make it?)
3)Does the software patent also cover the hardware required to run it?

And what's stopping someone from writing a piece of software thats already commonplace (lets use Linux) and then patenting that? Would the government deny the patent based on GNU license or would they allow it (no doubt MS would be there lobbying for its allowance; if not they would be the runs to write it and patent it).

The fact that MS was allowed to patent, let alone did patent In-Game-Music seems quite indicative to me that they are the ones who truly want to destroy the software industry with patents.

Ultima Chocochu
February 22nd, 2009, 20:22
I agree F9zDark
It really doesn't leave much or any room for any competition, and I really wanna hear that it's patended from someone whom works at MS so I can be sure they do have it patented(or at least someone with proof), but that being said

MS is the type of company to try and eliminate competition, so it's no surprise if they've something that only benefits them, but we all know competition keeps the economy in a better condition and I don't believe competition is that horrible for companies, it gives them better standards and whatever else it may be.

In the end, if this claim is true, how can you patent something that you could do on a PC for years already? All this does is lead to confusion, because as you said WHAT exactly does this patent cover?
If Sony used a completely DIFFERENT code, on completely different hardware and whatever else can be added, can they attack them because "they're running music directly off the HDD while in game"?

STEVE 09
March 16th, 2009, 14:28
I've come up with one solution Sony could use to enable custom soundtracks for ALL games without infringing the Microsoft patent if indeed it's still valid.
The main infringement in this patent is the restricted use of custom soundtracks direct from the console's hard drive. Well, to get around this, how about if Sony enable custom soundtracks from the PSP? You could simply connect your PSP system with the USB lead as you normally would and then select the PSP from the in game XMB when the PS3 detects it and you could select your music direct from the PSP. Of course you will need to get a decent sized memory stick for the PSP first and then put your MP3 files onto it but that's a small price to pay if you want custom soundtracks for every PS3 game.
Not only would this finally give us custom soundtracks for every game we play but it would further promote Remote Play which Sony has been pushing for over the last 12 months now.
This idea wouldn't infringe the Microsoft patent in anyway shape or form as the delivery method for custom soundtracks is completely different. Plus, doing it this way will take very little processing power from the PS3 as the PS3 hard drive will not directly be involved.
I have sent Sony an e-mail this morning with this idea and see what they come back with. Knowing Sony they will probably just send me a standard response, but hopefully they will take note of the idea for a future firmware update.
Frankly it's ridiculous we still don't have custom soundtracks on the PS3 after nearly 2 years since the console's launch. If the patent is the problem, then enabling it from the PSP is I think the only way Sony can do without breaching the patent.
What do other people think about this idea?