PDA

View Full Version : Nyko PSP TV Adaptor

wraggster
February 8th, 2006, 20:14
Seems that Nyko have entered the PSP TV Adaptor arena:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/802206b.jpg

Heres the Specs:

* Snap-on design allows you to watch PSP movies and play UMD games on your TV without modifying your PSP
* High quality CCD Sensor and lens combination 'tuned' to the PSP Screen
* Stereo audio output directly from the PSP to the TV
* Includes RCA cables for connecting to standard video-in jack on your TV
* Plug and Play- does not require user tuning, tweaking or adjustments
* Auto white balance, auto contrast and auto brightness

Gamespot (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802206) have the Adaptor for a preorder but its not in till March.

Hevyduty
February 8th, 2006, 23:02
Actually, that should read "Gamestop" and not "Gamespot," though the link works so that's the main thing. :)

Anyway, for $80USD, this product is too rich for my blood. Though I suppose it's nice to see a product like this actually making it to store shelves in the US. From the design, it looks most closely like the Blaze adapter available from Success-HK.

Speaking of the Blaze, I ordered one from Success-HK for $33.80 including shipping, and it finally came in last week. I only had a chance to play with it briefly, but it's definitely not great. It's pretty grainy. Once you stop scrutinizing the picture and just concentrate on playing, it's pretty fun to play PSP games on your big TV though. But the picture quality isn't good enough to do so for long periods.

Though I'm not dissatisified with the Blaze, I can't really recommend it. Its best feature is its price. And though $34 for a device like this is rock bottom cheap, it's an average device at best. And if anything, I'm being generous calling it "average." There's definitely much better ways to spend $34 on your PSP.

But I suppose the Blaze serves it's purpose as the entry-level device of this kind. The next cheapest option is the PSPonTV (the one that looks like a pyramid), which is still $60 plus shipping. I hear it's much better than the Blaze, but for twice the price, I'll continue tinkering with the Blaze for the time being.

If the PSPonTV drops in price in the future, I may consider upgrading to it. Or after playing with the Blaze for a while, I may simply decide that playing PSP games on my TV is more of a gimmick than something I'd actually do on a regular basis.

Gt Loc
February 9th, 2006, 03:55
Not bad of a device but who makes it? Also Sony should be making the new gadgets and devices so then your psp doesnt get messed up

Hidavi
February 9th, 2006, 05:01
^^^Nyko makes it. They have years of experience in electronics, particularly RC cars and video game console accessories. I trust them.

Anyway, I'm glad to see a TV adapter from a familiar name that I can buy at any local store. I'd pay the $80 for it. However, I wouldn't be suprised if they got a licence to copy Blaze or something. If not, a contract for parts supply. But maybe not.