PDA

View Full Version : Project Outlook

PSmonkey
February 8th, 2006, 20:39
Ok guys. I though now would be a good time to chime you in on whats going on. So lets get started shal we.

Iris
In the near future an Iris 0.15 build will be released. This will not be the holy grail 0.2 build i've been touting about but it should be a welcom upgrade from the build avalible. After 0.15 I will be heavly working on the official 0.2 build which will debute for the dcemu compo. Why? Because I am cooking up some great features for this build and need some time to get it all in.

So what will be the basis of 0.2? Well here is my main focus.
1) Md2 models will be thrown out in favor of Md4 & hl 1 models. Why? Because I need models with bones. Why? See 2
2) RAGDOLL !! I dont know about you but one thing I think would make iris better is ragdoll. Why? Because it's always fun to have ragdoll in an fps.
3) Game Modes ( Mission, CTF, DM )
4) Wifi (adhoc & infrastructure)
5) Improved gameplay (a given)

So my plate is extra full on this project. I plan to work my ass off so you wont be disapointed. :D

Nincest 64 / M64
I have today officialy desided, and already underway, to rewrite the emulator from scrach. As most know by now. I have taken up the emulator full time along with Iris (but iris has higher priority to me). Every thing I correct on the emulator in turn makes stuff stop working which is sad. Its like repairing a model house with good glue only to have the crapy glue hate the good glue and fall apart. With the rewrite comes a new name. In the mean time the project will be called M64 for Monkey 64. The project will stay open source because this project only exsist because of the great work of others in the n64 emulation scene. So every build will also include the full source.

Well thats it for now.
Comments? Feel free to speak your mind!!

Skye
February 8th, 2006, 21:08
Awesome! Can't wait for a new version of Iris. As well as M64.

NeoXCS
February 8th, 2006, 21:31
Wow, Iris 0.2 sounds like it's gonna be amazing. As for M64, can't wait! :) You're work is some of the best I've seen for the PSP. Keep up the good work! And good luck! :D

DPyro
February 8th, 2006, 21:43
Good job PSmonkey! Hope you can get a team together to help you with coding the N64 emulator :)

Wally
February 8th, 2006, 21:59
I probably might make another break through but who knows :P

Sumo X
February 9th, 2006, 01:45
Iris .2 sounds great. I installed v .1 the other day and thought that it was a solid groundwork for a great game. I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

If I were a coder, I'd help you with M64. It really is one of the holy grails for PSP homebrew. Hope you can find a few helpers to get the thing off the ground.

bah
February 9th, 2006, 02:00
Iris, or news of it, makes me smile.
Thanks PSMonkey.

Ragdoll would be freakin sweet btw, is there some sort of open source physics engine for you to work with, or would you have to code it all yourself?

Hope your still finding time to sleep in between these 2 most impressive undertakings.

PSPdemon
February 9th, 2006, 02:03
So what will be the basis of 0.2? Well here is my main focus.
1) Md2 models will be thrown out in favor of Md4 & hl 1 models. Why? Because I need models with bones. Why? See 2
2) RAGDOLL !! I dont know about you but one thing I think would make iris better is ragdoll. Why? Because it's always fun to have ragdoll in an fps.
3) Game Modes ( Mission, CTF, DM )
4) Wifi (adhoc & infrastructure)
5) Improved gameplay (a given)

This is exactly what i need!!! first the hl1 model support helps me out with my model issues that i am having and saves a bunch of time in that i dont have to moddify the animations.

another good things is that there will be wifi multiplayer!!! good so that if you feel like the ai is lacking...you can go head to head against each other!

and finnaly...differnt game types!!! capture the flag has been my favorite, so to see a game come out with it is a really cool thing (especially with multiplayer)...

though i have some questions...

1. Is this game gonna come out in FPS form, if not this release what is the expected version that gonna have it?

2. What map types will be supported in the new version?

3. Will there be more weapons than one?

4. Will there be a skins option where if you want to have a different skin on a model ( say instead of a green MC, you could have the red MC ) then you can have it without having to put in the same model in different folders with the different color skins?

5. How many players would you say could be playing in multiplayer?

6. Will we see maps like those in the BSPveiwer on the iris engine ( like the graphics, textures, and light maps? ), this would make the game 3 times better and put to shame all commercial shooters out there for psp :D

7. Will the new version support modable menus? ( i know i have asked this and i know you said you would try to, just wondering if the new version will support that )

8. Will there be sound support?

9. I was reading that the new version of iris will be able to have stairs and slopes... will this be implemented into this version or in the next?

10. Will there be different controls in the new version? like will there be jump, walk, crouch, ect.?

I just wanna know these questions because i want to make the best mod for iris that i can... i love the progress you've made on iris and would definately say you've won the comp already!!! :D

As far as your M64 project...I like the idea of you making an open source N64 Emulator...
this gives coders the chance to look at how you built it and maybe make a better version of it ( even though i am probably sure that you will have the fastest running one out there..but ya never know )

Cant wait to see more updates on both of these!!!

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 03:20
PSPdemon,
See thread on pspnews main page. I answered all your points there. :D

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 06:56
* Yawn *

I need to learn the meaning of sleep. Not really anything to update on atm. I played some of MGFox's new map for Iris today and it kicks ass. Just needs some adjustments. Still chugging away at the rewrite for M64. I got basic registers & opcodes in. I still need timers, interupts & memory handler. Yet I can probably just get the memory handler in and give it a test run on the first 5 opcodes before jumping on to the timers & interupts. Anyways back to work on M64 for a little longer then head to bed (its 1:56am at the current time).

caviar
February 9th, 2006, 08:16
Dear PSmonkey,
As you decided to rewrite from scratch the development of your nincest64 psp emulator.
Is it possible to release the lastest source code just for our information ?

I am very interested by writting my own N64 emu on psp, I already take a look on other source code coming from N64 PC port.

I wish you the best for your future N64 emu on PSP.

Regards

caviar

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 15:16
Dear PSmonkey,
As you decided to rewrite from scratch the development of your nincest64 psp emulator.
Is it possible to release the lastest source code just for our information ?

I am very interested by writting my own N64 emu on psp, I already take a look on other source code coming from N64 PC port.

I wish you the best for your future N64 emu on PSP.

Regards

caviar

Why start your own? I need more coders because I need to also work on iris. So if you're skilled enough, you're more then welcome to join up on M64. I'm far from a credit hog (so you will get all fame and glorry with it also). :cool:

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 15:24
Small updates on progress. I got the base down for registers last night. I still need to write a bit more to finish off the memory handlers. I am thinking to do a test run of the first 5 - 10 opcodes as soon as finish the memory system. If all goes well I will implement DMA, Timers & Interupts next. After that I think it's just a straight shot on opcode implementation untill I get a few demo's running. From there I will need to expand some exception code & posibly some basic rsp code.

So thats about it for now. Hopefuly i'll be executing my first opcode at lunch. :D

--edit--
Sweet, This post is 8 bits :P (256th post).

middlemaniac
February 9th, 2006, 17:30
So how long do you think the M64 will take to get Mario 64 running. If you need help on the M64 go to pspupdates.com, in the forums there is always many good coders that are always wlling to help. Keep up the amazing work!!!!

Wally
February 9th, 2006, 22:12
middlemaniac: Just for your information some of these programmers would just Laugh and say no this wont work. The majority of them think they know everything. Some actually are really good and would love to help. IF this project shoots off like it should do, many PSP developers might change their views about things not working and start something.

IF everyone is just patient for now (for PSmonkeys sake) we might see some progress.
There arent many people out there who would do this for free (like PSmonkey). Anyhow its good to see so much support towards his project and it seems to be making overnight stretches.

Good on ya guys!

PSmonkey
February 10th, 2006, 00:27
We are a go. we have monkey lift off. :D

Anyways I finished off a basic memory system (kind of very close to nincest but not as buggy). It shal do for now. Anyways I dedided to go ahead and see if this stuff is even working. So yes now monkey 64 executes its first 3 opcodes (But i'm cheating since all 3 are the same opcode performing a different condition :P MTC0).

Anyways it's gratifying seeing it run its first opcode after being up till 3 am last night trying to get registers and memory system started. Yay. Now on to a few more opcodes and timers/interupts.

chickenclaws
February 10th, 2006, 00:56
so Does this mean your back at the N64 Label Screen Because that was amazing
Good luck

PSmonkey
February 10th, 2006, 02:03
so Does this mean your back at the N64 Label Screen Because that was amazing
Good luck

Ha ha ha. Not even close. I have a while till then.

PSPdemon
February 10th, 2006, 02:26
Hi again,

I have a few more questions about iris...

1. Will iris support hl weapons?

2. Will you be able to modify the bullets? like say you want to have a plasma type gun?

3. Will you have a modifiable file where you can set the distance, speed, accuracy and damage of a weapon? if so, are you going to add a limiter to it ( so that if you do have multiplayer, you cant set the damage settings so high to the point that its unfair )?

4. Will there be the availibility of pick ups?( health packs, sheilds, extra damage, ect. )

5. Are you going to add vehicles in the game?

6. Will you have the availibity of having meele weapons?

7. Will the game chug if you have a big map with lots of high res. textures? if so, what would be the limit without the chug?

8. What would the controls be like? could you give an example?

9. Out of curiosity... what type of guns are you looking at putting in the game?

10. When do you think you will release Iris V .15?

thats the last of my questions!!!:D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PSmonkey
February 11th, 2006, 18:02
Man PSPD, You have many questions. :P

1. Will iris support hl weapons?
I would guess so since they are apart of the model animation. I still dont know much about the HL format.

2. Will you be able to modify the bullets? like say you want to have a plasma type gun?
Unsure atm. Maybe by 0.2 but that might be too much work to make it in in time. At min you will be able to replace the object texture.

3. Will you have a modifiable file where you can set the distance, speed, accuracy and damage of a weapon? if so, are you going to add a limiter to it ( so that if you do have multiplayer, you cant set the damage settings so high to the point that its unfair )?
Unsure atm. Maybe and maybe not. Maybe I might build a CRC system check so if someone loads custom properties, everybody must match up for the game to execute or master settings are sent to all (either way so its level regardless how rediculus the settings are).

4. Will there be the availibility of pick ups?( health packs, sheilds, extra damage, ect. )
Yes just been slow on doing this. I already started them but never finished due to time.

5. Are you going to add vehicles in the game?
Near Future, No way in hell (since they are custom things). In the future its a maybe. My main goal for iris was more indoor fps then large outdoor areas.

6. Will you have the availibity of having meele weapons?
In good time & when I have models that have meele weapons yes.

7. Will the game chug if you have a big map with lots of high res. textures? if so, what would be the limit without the chug?
Yes the map will chug. You as a map maker have to strike a ballance. The issue is mostly from streaming textures from main memory to the display is ungodly costly. Even the quake 2 maps I am using are pushing it too much.

8. What would the controls be like? could you give an example?
No clue. They evolve with the need for the game.

9. Out of curiosity... what type of guns are you looking at putting in the game?
I want atm 1 explosion weapon & 1 new main weapon (like maybe shotgun?).

10. When do you think you will release Iris V .15?
Unsure. I keep pushing it back a bit atm till i can finish the base rewrite of monkey 64. Once thats out the door (hopefuly by monday) I can get back on iris full time.

PSmonkey
February 11th, 2006, 18:06
Monkey 64 update,

I've finaly got alot of the base code done but still need to do some more & get almost all the opcodes nincest had back in. Once this is done I should hopefuly be back to running PD roms & hopefuly a few more PD roms. So hopefuly early next week I will post a new build of M64 with source.

Iris update,
As noted above, I am trying to finish the m64 base before I jump fully into iris again to get that 0.15 version out. Mostly for 0.15 I have to fix some issues in the clipping system still (its not properly clipping polygon colors.) & tweak some input so it wont be much longer till release. :P

middlemaniac
February 12th, 2006, 03:40
Just wondering, what are PD roms? Also, what does it mean when you finish the base? Does it mean the N64 sign will come up again?

PSmonkey
February 12th, 2006, 04:12
Finish base means the more critical things needed for a functional emulator will be done. Not all opcodes will be implemented nor will the RSP/RDP (signal processor & display processor), input, sound and few others. Base to me will be the demos executing game code. Atm i am still stuck in boot code. My first release for monkey will be once i get fire, star & few new demos running. Its quite posible the waverace logo will also work for the release.

Also PD = Public Domain, Its another way of saying homebrew or freeware roms. Its the n64 version of psp homebrew.

BrokenWing
February 12th, 2006, 04:59
Argh, going to...die of no...Iris Update yet...Must hold...in there longer...
(This is a kind way of saying hurry up ;) ) lol

middlemaniac
February 13th, 2006, 22:43
Good Job! Can't wait to play mario 64 or super smash brothers on my psp.

PSmonkey
February 14th, 2006, 03:57
*sings*
Yay progress.

I found a stupid bug I made in my timer code (actualy the bug was the lack of an important line of code) that made it refresh the screen once after 10 mins then go into a odd loop. As a result roms are starting to move closer twards working. I still have bugs blocking things from working (they're actualy getting stuck in an infinant loop atm) but atleast they are now starting to run & refresh the screen a few cycles. Current indications have the framerate at around 3fps or 8fps (unsure of atm since it flashes a near 3fps at the start then stays at above 8fps while in the inf loop). Either way it beats the shit out of 1.8fps. :P

Regarding iris. I am actualy going to take a little longer on 0.15, why? I got currious today and want to see how viable bump mapping would be in the engine. So if all turns out nice the first build might have low res bump maps introduced into the pipeline. Why low res? Erm, 3-4 render passes of a 256x256 image wont be pretty on the framerate (so thinking maybe low res bump mapping 64x64 might work nice).

shiftybill
February 14th, 2006, 08:52
sweeeeet great work dude i can almost taste the mario64 love

PSmonkey
February 14th, 2006, 15:11
I found the infinant loop but yet to find the bug. It seems I'm branching on an opcode I should not have branched on (the values should have been equal) wich in turn branches me to an opcode that will push me into an infinant loop. So I have to trace down the bug but I think it might be a bad XOR opcode. Have to find out today when i can get back to my code at lunch.

chickenclaws
February 14th, 2006, 21:26
hey man thats ok but we love iris and all but we can wait you take lunch and eat rest or do whatever you want to do

PSmonkey
February 14th, 2006, 22:53
hey man thats ok but we love iris and all but we can wait you take lunch and eat rest or do whatever you want to do

Its fine. Coding is my medication for life's problems. Just today I got a nice rejection letter from a studio here in montreal (it's not ubi, *shifty eyes*). So working on Monkey64 cheared me up today even if it was filled with tracing a mathamatical error in one of my opcodes.

:D

chickenclaws
February 15th, 2006, 02:28
lol u got rejected man that sucks. a man like u could learn so much at ubi or werever so that the codein for iris would be maxxed out lol

PSmonkey
February 15th, 2006, 06:02
A little more progress...

I took the opcode struct from pj64 thinking my bug was from it. Yet after going all the opcodes to fix them for the new setup I found a few bugs & a huge bug in my LBU opcode which was actualy loading a word (32bits). So i've fixed all that.

The emulator stops getting hung up in the inf loop but now for some reason fire & star demo both cause the whole thing to lock up completly (not inf loop) and both end dying at a different spot. So I will have to take a look into that tomorrow.

Thats about it for now.