PDA

View Full Version : Iris and Nintendo 64 Emulator News

wraggster
February 8th, 2006, 21:41
PSMonkey has posted news on both his very impressive projects, those projects are the Nintendo 64 Emulator for the PSP and also Iris which has to be the most exciting (potential wise) Homebrew project so far:

Heres what he posted on his site:

<blockquote>Ok guys. I though now would be a good time to chime you in on whats going on. So lets get started shal we.

Iris

In the near future an Iris 0.15 build will be released. This will not be the holy grail 0.2 build i've been touting about but it should be a welcom upgrade from the build avalible. After 0.15 I will be heavly working on the official 0.2 build which will debute for the dcemu compo. Why? Because I am cooking up some great features for this build and need some time to get it all in.

So what will be the basis of 0.2? Well here is my main focus.

1) Md2 models will be thrown out in favor of Md4 & hl 1 models. Why? Because I need models with bones. Why? See 2

2) RAGDOLL !! I dont know about you but one thing I think would make iris better is ragdoll. Why? Because it's always fun to have ragdoll in an fps.

3) Game Modes ( Mission, CTF, DM )

4) Wifi (adhoc & infrastructure)

5) Improved gameplay (a given)

So my plate is extra full on this project. I plan to work my ass off so you wont be disapointed.

Nincest 64 / M64

I have today officialy desided, and already underway, to rewrite the emulator from scrach. As most know by now. I have taken up the emulator full time along with Iris (but iris has higher priority to me). Every thing I correct on the emulator in turn makes stuff stop working which is sad. Its like repairing a model house with good glue only to have the crapy glue hate the good glue and fall apart. With the rewrite comes a new name. In the mean time the project will be called M64 for Monkey 64. The project will stay open source because this project only exsist because of the great work of others in the n64 emulation scene. So every build will also include the full source.

Well thats it for now.

Comments? Feel free to speak your mind!!</blockquote>

Please visit his site and leave comments, the link his site is here --> http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/

urherenow
February 8th, 2006, 22:44
Wow! That's a bold move with the n64 thing. And open source for every version...
Good luck! I know that will take quite a while to do.

DraconumPB
February 8th, 2006, 22:47
I'm totally excited about iris for sure...

Now here's something that psmonkey should consider for iris... TCP/IP play using infrastructure..... granted, it's going to be hard enough using Ad-Hoc, but I would imagine that if people can code TCP/IP games over ethernet/internet, that it shouldn't be that much harder just to include the wireless bits as well.

The reason for that is that i don't hang out with alot of people (most of my freinds w/ PSPs take classes at a different time of day than i do so i don't see 'em much) but i would still like to play iris multi... network play would really be the ultimate multiplayer feature for iris.

HOWEVER i am not downplaying what is already going to be implemented, iris is one of the most professional psp homebrew efforts as far as an original project is concerned... i just think that adhoc shouldn't be the ultimate achievement in iris multiplayer ;) (just think if counterstrike was only playable on local LAN =p)

but really psmonkey, way to go. you are going into the 'donation consideration' pool haha ;)

DraconumPB
February 8th, 2006, 22:51
oh duh. i didn't read what was posted. "adhoc and infrastructure"... duh. well great ;)

S41N7
February 8th, 2006, 23:18
Well what can I say? Thanks for convincing me not to give up on the PsP

PSPh4ck3rCMD
February 9th, 2006, 00:54
cool great work i hope you dont have much trouble with them good luck

xuphorz
February 9th, 2006, 01:17
Monkey 64?
that reminds me, Donkey Kong 64 for psp would be awesome

heres to a good n64 emulator (or at least playable with sound)

oninotsume
February 9th, 2006, 01:26
It's good to hear that you've decided to write the whole thing from scratch, and that you've taken on the project full-time. I imagine that will make a lot more work for you, but a project from scratch made just for the PSP seems like it would work a lot smoother. Keep up the good work, and thanks :D

Voltron
February 9th, 2006, 01:42
WHAT???? What a knockout one-two punch. Is PSMonkey human? The fact that you even consider taking on such tasks let alone doing it is a very impressive venture. Go for it all the way. You have my support and I'll be spreading the word about PSMonkey.

Sharkey
February 9th, 2006, 01:45
I hope you can get all your problems sorted so its not too big of a pain in the ass.
We appreciate the work youve done so far, if you get the M64 to run commercial roms that would be awesome , if not we still love you because you tried. ;)

100th post, appropriate. :)

guthix
February 9th, 2006, 02:04
Thank You so much for your work. I look so forward to seeing the results. I plan on taking a couple more comp/programming class because of the progress you have made on many of your works. Good Luck :D :D :D

pkmaximum
February 9th, 2006, 02:25
Great I can't wait to see the progress you make, but keep in mind you will get a lot more pay pal support especially from me if you work on n64. More than iris. Just an idea well great work and i appreciate all your doing.

PSPdemon
February 9th, 2006, 02:32
So what will be the basis of 0.2? Well here is my main focus.
1) Md2 models will be thrown out in favor of Md4 & hl 1 models. Why? Because I need models with bones. Why? See 2
2) RAGDOLL !! I dont know about you but one thing I think would make iris better is ragdoll. Why? Because it's always fun to have ragdoll in an fps.
3) Game Modes ( Mission, CTF, DM )
4) Wifi (adhoc & infrastructure)
5) Improved gameplay (a given)

This is exactly what i need!!! first the hl1 model support helps me out with my model issues that i am having and saves a bunch of time in that i dont have to moddify the animations.

another good things is that there will be wifi multiplayer!!! good so that if you feel like the ai is lacking...you can go head to head against each other!

and finnaly...differnt game types!!! capture the flag has been my favorite, so to see a game come out with it is a really cool thing (especially with multiplayer)...

though i have some questions...

1. Is this game gonna come out in FPS form, if not this release what is the expected version that gonna have it?

2. What map types will be supported in the new version?

3. Will there be more weapons than one?

4. Will there be a skins option where if you want to have a different skin on a model ( say instead of a green MC, you could have the red MC ) then you can have it without having to put in the same model in different folders with the different color skins?

5. How many players would you say could be playing in multiplayer?

6. Will we see maps like those in the BSPveiwer on the iris engine ( like the graphics, textures, and light maps? ), this would make the game 3 times better and put to shame all commercial shooters out there for psp :D

7. Will the new version support modable menus? ( i know i have asked this and i know you said you would try to, just wondering if the new version will support that )

8. Will there be sound support?

9. I was reading that the new version of iris will be able to have stairs and slopes... will this be implemented into this version or in the next?

10. Will there be different controls in the new version? like will there be jump, walk, crouch, ect.?

I just wanna know these questions because i want to make the best mod for iris that i can... i love the progress you've made on iris and would definately say you've won the comp already!!! :D

As far as your M64 project...I like the idea of you making an open source N64 Emulator...
this gives coders the chance to look at how you built it and maybe make a better version of it ( even though i am probably sure that you will have the fastest running one out there..but ya never know )

Cant wait to see more updates on both of these!!!

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 03:15
Time to answer some questions

1. Is this game gonna come out in FPS form, if not this release what is the expected version that gonna have it?
It will stay in third person for now. I kind of like it. Yet the view will be much more controlable. So you will be able to lean up and down to view more.

2. What map types will be supported in the new version?
Still only quake 3. Its quite advanced for a file format and my entire rendering system is built around it.

3. Will there be more weapons than one?
Yes, maybe 1-2 more for 0.15, hopefuly at min 5 for 2.0

4. Will there be a skins option where if you want to have a different skin on a model ( say instead of a green MC, you could have the red MC ) then you can have it without having to put in the same model in different folders with the different color skins?
Your request is my comand. They will make it into 0.15

5. How many players would you say could be playing in multiplayer?
Hard to say. I'll have to bench. I will try to leave it uncapped since each psp will be processing it self and the only thing that will slow the game down is rendering & dealing with weapons. Anyways my goal is for 4-8. Hopefuly more twards the 8. If the engine can handle even more, trust me I will push for it.

6. Will we see maps like those in the BSPveiwer on the iris engine ( like the graphics, textures, and light maps? ), this would make the game 3 times better and put to shame all commercial shooters out there for psp
In 2.0 yes, In 0.15 no. The maps are too complex for my shitty bot code. Yet for 0.15 I have had MGFox edit a map that will work great for the new stuff.

7. Will the new version support modable menus? ( i know i have asked this and i know you said you would try to, just wondering if the new version will support that )
0.15, no. 2.0, maybe depending on time. If not I will try to get them asap or let the game be launchable via commands (so iris.pbp -o optionfile.irs). So you could just use the loadexecute lib to launch iris from your menu and bypass my menu stuff.

8. Will there be sound support?
Nope, sorry not yet.

9. I was reading that the new version of iris will be able to have stairs and slopes... will this be implemented into this version or in the next?
This is already in my current build and will make it's debute in 0.15.

10. Will there be different controls in the new version? like will there be jump, walk, crouch, ect.?
0.15 will have jump. No use for crouch yet so it will wait for 2.0

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 03:18
Great I can't wait to see the progress you make, but keep in mind you will get a lot more pay pal support especially from me if you work on n64. More than iris. Just an idea well great work and i appreciate all your doing.

While my gf would love that. I, on the other hand, am working on what I find fun. I could care less if I get any donations because of iris & M64. I still also feel like I let people who donated to ngPsp down. :(

grayjaket
February 9th, 2006, 03:43
WHAT???? What a knockout one-two punch. Is PSMonkey human? The fact that you even consider taking on such tasks let alone doing it is a very impressive venture. Go for it all the way. You have my support and I'll be spreading the word about PSMonkey.

no he's a monkey...dUH

ayhoung
February 9th, 2006, 03:53
thank the psp gods :D

PsychoSync
February 9th, 2006, 04:40
I don't know anything about coding so if you feel like it, you can tell me something like:"If you don't know what you're talking about, shut it!!!". But still, i'm curious...

For a N64 emu on PSP, how hard from 1 -10 (10=Hard) would it be to port one of the best emu for Windows like 1964? Is it doable/ harder than starting from scratch?

ps.: By no means i wish to annoy you PSmonkey... keep up the good work!

chronoswing
February 9th, 2006, 04:47
I have to disagree, project64 is the best n64 emu for pc.

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 05:01
1964 & PJ64 are both amazing emus. Yet I feel its best to work from scrach since I will build something that I feel works best for the psp. Plus my ideal style of coding will differ from the others so this is bound to cause errors down the line.

I will be using all emulators (pj64, mupen, nincest, ...) as my base & guide to the rewrite. I pretty much will look at what all are doing and either borrow or write something simular.

Killing2Live
February 9th, 2006, 05:31
TO PSmonkey:

Great News! Thank you for what you have done/doing for the community and I really wanted to tell you how much I appreciate how you take your time out of your life and coding TWO awsome PSP projects, to answer the communities questions in full! I respect that and keep on keeping on as Joe Dirt would say. (hopefully you've seen that movie) Awsome work!

ScHlAuChi
February 9th, 2006, 06:43
Everythign that needed to be said was already said - however there is one thing im wondereing about - and that is, what happend to the Playstation Emulator you also worked ont ? :)

jay_reilly
February 9th, 2006, 06:51
What will the controls be for the n64 emulator

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 06:51
Everythign that needed to be said was already said - however there is one thing im wondereing about - and that is, what happend to the Playstation Emulator you also worked ont ? :)

Erm. I never started a PS emu. I was working on NgPsp which was a Neo Geo Pocket Emulator for the Psp. I've not given up hope on it but atm put it in the closet since i've not gotten new feedback from the original author.

crazy_biker420
February 9th, 2006, 07:19
will this play any n64 games?

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 07:34
will this play any n64 games?
Near Future (like first couple of releases), No.
Long Term (After some time / few months), Some (anything 16MB or less).

pkmusicmaker
February 9th, 2006, 07:49
Well this M64 emu sounds insanely hard to pull off, but I appreciate the commitment you seem to be giving, so thanks a lot. Also, it's very nice to see some support from everyone for a change. This is the right environment for progress, so thanks to everyone else as well.

chrisrulz555
February 9th, 2006, 08:09
Wow great news but I have to admit, as fun as Iris was I am way more excited about an N64 Emulator for psp. I have a few questions for ya.

1. Do you think it's possible to ever get it running past 30 fps?

2. Will you ever be able to have a multiplayer mode (Who misses mariokart multiplayer
:D)

3.How long do you think it will take?

4.How much would you like me to donate when you get M64 running commercial roms :P

Thanks for taking the time to read!

odino
February 9th, 2006, 09:43
Hi PSmonkey, but with a dynarec/jit is possible a perfect speed?

Mr.Modem
February 9th, 2006, 11:13
I just want to wish you good luck in both your projects, PSmonkey! I'm glad to see that you are going to release the source of the N64 emulator.

PSmonkey
February 9th, 2006, 15:20
Time to answer a few questions

1. Do you think it's possible to ever get it running past 30 fps?
After alot of work and optimisation, Yep I do think it's posible (at least for mario64).

2. Will you ever be able to have a multiplayer mode (Who misses mariokart multiplayer :D)
Nope wont happen any time soon. Sadly this will probably bottleneck the emulation too much.

3.How long do you think it will take?
Depends how many late nights I stay up coding (like last night).
It will be easier to judge once I get M64 to the same point that nincest is at now.

4.How much would you like me to donate when you get M64 running commercial roms :P
Donate what you feel like. I'm not in this for the money. If you feel like donating to my projects to feed my gamming addiction thats all super duper and will keep me happy.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Np, I like feedback (good or bad).

Hi PSmonkey, but with a dynarec/jit is possible a perfect speed?
Probably not. We might get decent playable speed but I dout we will ever hit perfect speed. This is just my opinion but I could be wrong.

Madonion
February 9th, 2006, 15:21
Amazing news! I too am more excited about the N64 emu only because if you get it working there will be alot more games to play :D. Goodluck on both! Iris is gona own with multiplayer!

hockey2112
February 9th, 2006, 18:51
As most people have already said, I can't wait for this. One game I am really looking forward to is Mario Tennis. That game is a blast! Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it!

guthix
February 9th, 2006, 19:22
Can......not.......wait......for.................. .Super..............Smash........Brothers......... ..Link shall walk yet again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Corona
February 9th, 2006, 21:47
Screw the N64 emulator, Im more psyched about Iris.
Since their using models with bones for ragdoll, Im gonna start making a whole bunch of custom models for use in the game.
Mario with a Shotgun?
How about The Grinch?
That would rock my pants.
HARD.

ScHlAuChi
February 10th, 2006, 01:18
Erm. I never started a PS emu. I was working on NgPsp which was a Neo Geo Pocket Emulator for the Psp. I've not given up hope on it but atm put it in the closet since i've not gotten new feedback from the original author.

Oh sorry i mixed you up with the other guy :)

PSPdemon
February 10th, 2006, 02:11
Hi again,

I have a few more questions about iris...

1. Will iris support hl weapons?

2. Will you be able to modify the bullets? like say you want to have a plasma type gun?

3. Will you have a modifiable file where you can set the distance, speed, accuracy and damage of a weapon? if so, are you going to add a limiter to it ( so that if you do have multiplayer, you cant set the damage settings so high to the point that its unfair )?

4. Will there be the availibility of pick ups?( health packs, sheilds, extra damage, ect. )

5. Are you going to add vehicles in the game?

6. Will you have the availibity of having meele weapons?

7. Will the game chug if you have a big map with lots of high res. textures? if so, what would be the limit without the chug?

8. What would the controls be like? could you give an example?

9. Out of curiosity... what type of guns are you looking at putting in the game?

10. When do you think you will release Iris V .15?

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

vettacossx
February 10th, 2006, 03:47
how can we see the n64 logo on waverace is there a hack cause ive tried the rom but it did not work also i noticed that its a Z64 rom not a V64 rom like mario 64 and wave race iffys recking ball are z64 is there a difference and will it be a problem id like to have even the logo to the title of mario 64 that would be gr8 well keep up the good work

pkmaximum
February 10th, 2006, 04:15
how can we see the n64 logo on waverace is there a hack cause ive tried the rom but it did not work also i noticed that its a Z64 rom not a V64 rom like mario 64 and wave race iffys recking ball are z64 is there a difference and will it be a problem id like to have even the logo to the title of mario 64 that would be gr8 well keep up the good work

Aright as far as this emulator goes it does not play comercial roms yet.... so roms like super mario, golden eye, and zelda ocarina of time, etc. Are not going to play as of now. Believe me i understand if you are impatient cause i have been waiting for an emulator like this for many months now. Pretty much a year! So i understand your eagerness and frusteration but give it some time.

PSmonkey
February 10th, 2006, 04:15

Z64 & V64 have to deal with byteswapping ment for rom coping devices. Z64 roms are ment for a z64 copying device. V64 roms are ones ment for bungs doctor v64 line of rom copiers.

At the current time nincest assumes all roms are in doctor v64 format & uncompressed (not refering to zip compression here). I dont believe the version i first released will show the logo due to a bug somewhere. My builds I have now do but they wont be released since it's a waste of time. Hopefuly the first public build of monkey 64 will run more PD roms & show the waverace logo for all to see.

Ps, if your currious, there is a tool on dextrose.com called RTool that will let you convert roms from z64 to v64 format.

pkmaximum
February 10th, 2006, 04:18
While my gf would love that. I, on the other hand, am working on what I find fun. I could care less if I get any donations because of iris & M64. I still also feel like I let people who donated to ngPsp down. :(

Well thats kool with me, I was just saying i really support what you are doing, and i appreciate it very much. and i would like to keep seeing the progress that you make. And i just wanted it to go quick as possible that is all. So its no big deal to me if you don't want my full support.

DPyro
February 10th, 2006, 04:28
PSmonkey means, download Rtool and convert to Doctor 64 :)

pspfan
February 10th, 2006, 04:28
PsMonkey, you are the awesome-est person. ever.

PSmonkey
February 10th, 2006, 15:31
Well thats kool with me, I was just saying i really support what you are doing, and i appreciate it very much. and i would like to keep seeing the progress that you make. And i just wanted it to go quick as possible that is all. So its no big deal to me if you don't want my full support.

Saying you like my project & looking forward to updates is already suporting my projects to the fullest. Donations just suport my gamming habits, not my projects. :D

Tho if you want to do me a favor. See if you can get me a copy of the daxter or syphon filter PSP demos from gamestops in the USA. Sadly we here in montreal/quebec wont get the demo & I really want both. :(

pkmaximum
February 10th, 2006, 21:19
Saying you like my project & looking forward to updates is already suporting my projects to the fullest. Donations just suport my gamming habits, not my projects. :D

Tho if you want to do me a favor. See if you can get me a copy of the daxter or syphon filter PSP demos from gamestops in the USA. Sadly we here in montreal/quebec wont get the demo & I really want both. :(

Alright, umm ill help you get the game. So you can send me more information at -- rm --
Well I appreciate that all you want is my support. Well keep up the good work.

PSmonkey
February 10th, 2006, 21:45
cool will email. i rm your email so you dont get spam.

pkmaximum
February 11th, 2006, 04:19
cool will email. i rm your email so you dont get spam.

Alright sounds good to me, but keep in mind i can't guarentee ill find the game.

PSmonkey
February 11th, 2006, 04:53
Alright sounds good to me, but keep in mind i can't guarentee ill find the game.

Thats cool. If you get them then thats great. If you can't, I heavly apreciate you even taking the time out to try. :cool:

pkmaximum
February 12th, 2006, 03:59
Thats cool. If you get them then thats great. If you can't, I heavly apreciate you even taking the time out to try. :cool:

No problem like i said i appreciate the work you do for all us psp homebrew users. The least i can do its get you a game that you have no ability of getting since you live in Russia and such.

pkmaximum
February 12th, 2006, 04:00
lol i mean quebec. Not russia