PDA

View Full Version : Violent Gamers Immune to Pain — of Others

wraggster
February 21st, 2009, 20:37
More scholarship suggests playing violent video games makes one - get ready to have the song stuck in your head, too - "comfortably numb" to others in pain and less likely to help them.

Two perfessers cooked up a study in which 320 college students were given violent and nonviolent video games to play. After about 20 minutes of play, they overheard a staged fight that ended with the loser suffering a sprained ankle and groaning in pain.

You know where this is headed - those playing the unnamed nonviolent game rushed to aid more quickly, an average of 16 seconds, compared to those playing the unidentified violent game, who took 73 seconds to help out. Hell, maybe they were grinding away for some headshot achievement. "Ice it and elevate it, I'll be over there right after I cap this guy - another 20 times."

The researchers also staged a similar event in which adult moviegoers watched violent and nonviolent movies. After a while, they staged a false emergency outside the theater. Bingo, nonviolent film goers rushed to see what was the matter faster than the violent movie buffs, by an average of 26 percent.

Prof. Brad Bushman, a social psychologist at the University of Michigan who has studied and criticized violent video games before, was one of the researchers. "These studies clearly show that violent media exposure can reduce helping behavior," Bushman said. "People exposed to media violence are less helpful to others in need because they are 'comfortably numb' to the pain and suffering of others, to borrow the title of a Pink Floyd song.

The study appears in the March 2009 issue of Psychological Science.

http://kotaku.com/5157822/violent-gamers-immune-to-pain--of-others

danknugz
February 21st, 2009, 21:20
"perfessers"......?
wow.....:eek:

MichaelA
February 21st, 2009, 21:38
That shocked me too! I remember when people who wrote for news sites were actually literate...

As for desensitization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desensitization_(psychology)), it's not just video games and movies that contribute. I've seen enough car accidents, homicides, and other such things on the local news to last a lifetime. Not rushing to aid someone in trouble is not necessarily a bad thing though -- sometimes it's a safer move that won't get you hurt or killed.

Every man for himself!

apex05
February 21st, 2009, 22:27
I do believe the wraggman was being sarcastic about the people who do these studies with "perfessers" and you really can't blame people for laughing at some of the studies people must actually pay for

rokobungi
February 22nd, 2009, 00:49
maybe the game sounded a lot like the 'fight' so it took a while for someone to realize it wasn't background noise in the game.

or.. they selected different classes so class 1 which happens to be in criminal law gets the violent game and class 2 in a programming course gets the nonviolent one..

or.. they let the people choose which game they played..

or...

well you see what I'm trying to say
there's too many ways to influence the results of 99% of these studies that involve media. and does this matter unless the results can be replicated minutes or hours later.

mike_jmg
February 22nd, 2009, 00:54
It only proves violent stuff gets us more engaged than non violent things. DUH!

gumgod
February 22nd, 2009, 05:47
:rolleyes: He can't even come up with a complete conclusion to his "research" 'without ripping off another person. I hope Roger Waters sues his ass for using the title of his song in correlation with such crappy "research"

Why do people keep giving these guys money. It obviously doesn't stop violence and parents aren't going to give a crap. They should just donate their money to people making good non-violent games instead or they could just give it to me. It's obvious this guy didn't do anything good with it. :-P

gamev8
February 22nd, 2009, 08:38
What a load of trash I have played tons violent video games and seen many gory horror movies and I can say it most definitely hasn't desensitized me. Hell I can't even sit by and watch other players in a MMORPG get killed without at the very least trying to help. You know why? Because I got my moral compass from my parents not TV not video games and not movies. If your' parents raised you right you shouldn't be able to just sit idly by while others suffer. All that this study and all others like it prove is that people who's parents did not instill a basic sense of morality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality) in them are more likely to play "violent video games".

F9zDark
February 22nd, 2009, 18:37
What if its not a matter "being numb" but rather, being "afraid"?

Why is that? The violent games gives you control and the power to deal with your assailants. Would you be so inclined to step out of this realm of control into "real life" where this control is not there?

As well, we need to also examine (before jumping to conclusions like this professor did) the differences between non-violent and violent games.

Non-violent games have really nothing at all that makes the players 100% engrossed in them and since combat (or life and death) doesn't happen within mere seconds of turning your head or getting up to see whats going on, non-violent games give people AMPLE opportunity to step away and see whats going on.

Violent games just plain don't accord that freedom.

I play violent games all the time and I have yet to stand idly while someone else (friend, stranger or otherwise) is in trouble with another person.

Then again, LIKE MOST GAMERS, I play games at home and not in public where these things WOULD OCCUR. (In other words, this study is immediately flawed.)

PoorKingz
February 22nd, 2009, 20:03
Why does this site constantly post studies saying how video games are bad? Haven't we heard enough?

Broadus
February 22nd, 2009, 21:23
Why does this site constantly post studies saying how video games are bad? Haven't we heard enough?
Yeah, especially stupid studies like this, it just gives everyone something to yell about.
This study says that people who play violent video game sare less likely to help others, so, when Kitty Genovese got stabbed to death in plain sight and thirty-eight people witnessed it and didn't help or call the police in 1964, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese, all those people in 1964 were obviously avid players of violent video games.

ish420ism
February 23rd, 2009, 00:51
Let us join in in kicking that poor schmuck's ass. I guess I don't care about people either.

devdj
February 23rd, 2009, 01:02
University of Michigan again wtf lol

livnbob
February 23rd, 2009, 13:56
Too many unknowns in this one. Primarily, what were the games? Personally, if I were playing a lousy, yet violent game, as opposed to an intense, yet non-violent game, I would probably be more inclined to investigate a fight. It seems to me that this is just another study designed to show a conclusion the researchers already believe in. If the violent video-game players had responded quicker, the researchers would've concluded that the game had made them more likely to respond to and participate in violence.

noname1
February 23rd, 2009, 22:28
Gankers at World of Warcraft you should die!:rolleyes:
Am i evil now?

K1ckass
February 23rd, 2009, 22:35
Pain >> Invalid input, does not compute!!

Ugh, those "perfessers" must have made a mistake. If I watch a violent action movie starring some hero, I'd probably try to reenact the movie and try to be a hero too. Same goes for games I guess... unless you're a huge Postal 2 junkie hehheh. :D

BTW what is it with those people who keep saying games are bad, go study molecules or something.

wolfpack
February 24th, 2009, 16:32
Must...not...help....
Too...busy...playing...halo 3! xD

pibs
February 24th, 2009, 18:50
I do believe the wraggman was being sarcastic about the people who do these studies with "perfessers" and you really can't blame people for laughing at some of the studies people must actually pay for

This article comes from a different source, wragg didn't write it himself. I really hope that kotaku writer was being sarcastic :o