PDA

View Full Version : Quake For PSP WIP News

wraggster
February 9th, 2006, 17:37
PeterM has posted an updated on his Port of Quake (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16503&page=1&pp=10) to the PSP, heres what he posted (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16503&page=9&pp=10):

<blockquote>Hello,

I thought I'd update the thread with news on what is happening at the moment:

I've just moved house, and don't have internet access there yet. I should have access in the next couple of days.

Chris Swindle and I are going to merge our Quake sources. For this I've set up a SourceForge project and we're adding our source code to their CVS. When the merge is done and we're happy that it's working OK, we'll do a release. I don't know how long it'll take.

I've recently made some progress in my code.
* I've managed to get Quake running fine using Fanjita's EBOOT loader on firmware 2.00. I can't guarantee that Chris' WLAN stuff will work with it though - I've no idea about the loader's WLAN support. Kernel mode, PRXes, etc...
* I've made it so people can quit from the Quake quit menu. This is especially handy when using the loader, since Home does nothing.
* Battery life is monitored and reported periodically.
* There have been some frame rate improvements.

But anyway, hopefully we'll have a release ready soon. Please be patient.

Pete</blockquote>

Awesome news Peter :)

nexus one
February 9th, 2006, 18:16
Please can you also increase the analog stick dead zone so that I'm not always turning left all the time when standing still!

Can't wait for the new release!

Madonion
February 9th, 2006, 18:38
Please can you also increase the analog stick dead zone so that I'm not always turning left all the time when standing still!

Can't wait for the new release!

Lol yes plzz. im turning right the whole time LOL.

PeterM
February 9th, 2006, 18:40
It will be fixed, sorry about that.

Pete

MadMonkee
February 9th, 2006, 18:54
PLEASE! Some sort of keyboard ability too.

Too long have I drooled on the Multiplayer screen being unable to type an IP to connect to. Too long have I spent staring at the walls being unable to type noclip. Hearken to the troubles I suffer from thy port which left me in awe and wonder! O! great bringer of Quake to the holy PSP heed my bug reports and be amazed at what nerdity I throw your way by such speech! I thank thee once again!

PeterM
February 9th, 2006, 19:07
Yikes!

I'm mainly spending my time on bug fixing, better usability and speed improvements. I think Chris did some work adding an on-screen keyboard to his version for entering IP addresses and such, but the code hasn't been merged yet.

Pete

jedikd
February 9th, 2006, 19:40
Thanks for the update Peter! Quake is one of my favorite pieces of homebrew, and the combination of your work with Chris's I think will be a great development in the PSP community. Chris mentioned he's working on porting quakeworld, which means that your homebrew could very easily surpass the level that almost no commerical PSP games have in terms of internet play, well done to the both of you!

cswindle
February 9th, 2006, 20:12
Just a quick update. I am currently sorting out doing the merge. I have sorted out most of the code at the moment, just need to merge the code for the OSK. I also need to sort out the OSK properly for console input, as the main loop still needs to run whilst collecting input from the keyboard, otherwise network games will drop when you go to the OSK to enter text.

Then of course I need to test out the networking code and ensure it is all working ok, then let Peter do some testing to check that I have not broken any of the functionality he added.

Chris

moogster66
February 10th, 2006, 02:13
Peter, is there any way we can donate? Thanks for all the work you two have put in on Quake!

pspfan
February 10th, 2006, 04:10
This is so awesome. Can't wait till it works on 2.0!!!! Thank you so much you guys are incredible!

nexus one
February 10th, 2006, 07:57
I swear, this and the Doom port are by far my favourite and most played homebrews. Thanks for all the fun!

MadMonkee
February 10th, 2006, 22:21
Uu here's a buggy bug bug. When you jump in water, the HUD on the bottom doesn't change back to it's original colors sometimes... it still stays at the "underwater" color. Same with Quad damage, when it wears off sometimes the HUD still stays blue.

PeterM
February 10th, 2006, 22:54
Hello,

The way we draw to the screen in the next version will be a bit different, so this bug will disappear in the next release.

Pete

chickenclaws
February 11th, 2006, 02:30
sweet i noticed that bug too
hey is there any way to use wifi Maxx with this to connect 2 psp's

cswindle
February 11th, 2006, 21:11
sweet i noticed that bug too
hey is there any way to use wifi Maxx with this to connect 2 psp'sI am not sure how many PSP's can connect to wifi Maxx, if you can have several PSP's attatched then there is no reason that you would not be able to connect and play. However if it is not possible then you can play via adhoc (assuming that you do not want to connect to an external server or PC).

Chris

RedKing14CA
February 12th, 2006, 00:35
I noticed a difference in the screen resolution in nic's version, and your version...

your version seams to be slightly blurred...

also, will there be Analog nub look, and anolog nub movement.. me and my best budd have loved playing this port, we would like to donate to you, and i crave analog look, while he craves analog movement (forward, back, strafe)

we also noticed the person that joined the server was laggy, when he pressed a button to move it would respond 1/4 a second later, still playable though... thanks for porting such a great game!

hopefully i will have played through this (single or co-op) before quake 2 is full single player working... ive beat quake 3 already, and just bought quake 4 yesterday!

Thank you, very much for porting this game, without pay.... but i think we want to give you money :p