PDA

View Full Version : Activision CEO: Wii will outsell PS3 and 360 combined in 2009

wraggster
February 22nd, 2009, 18:04
During the Activision Q4 2008 earnings conference call earlier this month, CEO Mike Griffith laid out the company's predictions for 2009 hardware sales. According to Griffith, Activision predicts that both the Xbox 360 and PS3 will increase their installed bases by 8 million units between North America and Europe. The company expects the Wii installed base for the same regions to increase by over 16 million units. Without specifying platforms, Griffith's stated that Activision expects handhelds to increase by more than 21 million units.

Prepare the bunker. Grab the supplies. It's time to get underground. The day Nintendo turns on Skynet and Wii Balance Boards begin enslaving their masters is fast approaching. Unless the humans fight back, of course.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/22/activision-ceo-wii-will-outsell-ps3-and-360-combined-in-2009/

DrBlue
February 22nd, 2009, 19:27
Unless Nintendo drop the price of the Wii, I'd expect sales to fall off. Not sharply, but there will be an obvious decline in uptake, simply due to the fact that most people who would want to buy the console at it's current price point probably already have one.

A modest price cut, heavily advertised, would help cement Nintendo's position as all powerful rulers of the console market.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
February 22nd, 2009, 23:13
it's all right selling the bloody console get some decent games out apart form the 6 every body owns that are any good...

royvedas
February 23rd, 2009, 06:19
I find it annoying. Eventually the publishers will turn to more wii games and less current gen games. Sure I have the wii as well, but as mentioned - good for 5 or 6 games perhaps. I enjoy my 360 far more and would probably enjoy my ps3 more as well, if it wasn't only serving the purpose of the ps3 exclusives (of which there are very few relevant ones).

Yes - I consider Wii a last gen system. You might disagree, so be it.

DCRich
February 23rd, 2009, 08:13
just to prove a point from one perspective on the issue. I bought a PS3 at launch. There was no doubt in my mind that it would be a great system with, in my opinion, the most power and potential once used properly. Now, I do want to get a Wii, but feel the price for this "casual" gaming system is far too steep to justify the purchase. I am sure I will get one eventually, but not until the price drops to match what I expect from the system. It is and will remain nothing more than a casual gamer's system, with the 360 and PS3 taking the core/hardcore gamers.

Qmark
February 23rd, 2009, 10:35
The truth of the matter is that Microsoft and Sony lose money on each X360 or PS3 sold (last estimate I seem to recall was about $150 on each X360, and about $300 on each PS3), while launch-day Wii units were $40 profit each.

When Nintendo gets production costs down (they likely have already), AND the mad sales orgy on Wii consoles starts to sputter, Nintendo will cut the price, probably to $150.

bagmouse7
February 23rd, 2009, 18:11
Who cares?
Headline:
GM sells more cars than BMW and Audi combined.

So which one do you want to drive?
Wii has won the casual gamer market. It is DONE, move on, nothing to see here...
Now the battle is for the adult gamer and I don't see the Wii winning this one.