PDA

View Full Version : New to this mobile phone unlocking business.

Noodle
February 23rd, 2009, 14:42
Hello. I just bought a Nokia E51 from a friend who's dad's company got a few free off a service provider (02).

He told 02 he didn't want them and did they want them returned, and they said no. So I bought one off him, but I have no experience in tinkering with phones whatsoever. Every time I switch on the phone, it says that 'sim card registration failed'. I assume this is 02 having disconnected the SIM. Which is fine. What I want to know is, do I just buy a new 3G sim card? What if I want to switch provider? Do I need to get it unlocked then? Are there any specific considerations to take with that, considering it is a 3G phone?

I'm so confused. :rofl: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VampDude
February 23rd, 2009, 20:57
I wouldn't buy a 3G sim, I would say that you would have more luck with a normal o2 sim which they are giving away with top-ups.

I bought a new sim today actually, which is funny that you should have posted today of all days.

Take your phone to your nearest o2 store, and just tell them that you want a sim and a top-up. From there they will register it, and set it up if required. Which they should know if it's a 3G one that you need, though I doubt there is any difference in the o2 sims (except the ones you get in the store are white on blue and the "FREE OFFER" ones are blue on white? Though irrelevant).

If you want to switch providers, again goto the o2 store and they will be able to unlock it for you. I'm unsure at how long it takes, but when I got my old phone unlocked in 2005 (at a small phone shop) it was a quick drop off and later that day I had it back.