PDA

View Full Version : Sony cans Go! Messenger service

Shrygue
February 23rd, 2009, 18:36
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-cans-go-messenger-service)

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is to close down its Go! Messenger service due to a lack of users.

Go! Messenger was developed in collaboration with BT, and allowed users to make instant messenging, voice and video calls on the PSP.

"Although Go! Messenger brought innovative communications features to the PSP community, the service has not developed the base of users that we were hoping for," wrote a spokesperson for Sony.

"Although it proved a popular concept, achieving a significant number of registrations, it didn’t gain the number of regular users that BT and SCEE were aiming for."

Go! Messenger was only launched a year ago, and used the Go! Cam on any model PSP.

The service ends March 31. "We’d like to thank all fans of Go!Messenger and are sorry to have to make this announcement," said Sony.

Buddy4point0
February 23rd, 2009, 19:25
Sucks for users of that service, but I honestly don't think that there were all that many.

bish
February 23rd, 2009, 19:44
i used it when away, but would prefer skype on phat (i did buy a 3000 for that!)

sedkiller
February 23rd, 2009, 22:25
This means that Sony will release a new firmware removing the Go services and this will free some memory out of the flash... Well i think not much people where into it anyway so it's a good thing they remove it. Perhaps they will add new features to replaces these.

jungletek
February 24th, 2009, 01:03
Read this as "we couldn't **** enough money out of people via the service somehow, so we're shutting it down"

lols

Art
February 24th, 2009, 01:31
This means that Sony will release a new firmware removing the Go services and this will free some memory out of the flash... Well i think not much people where into it anyway so it's a good thing they remove it. Perhaps they will add new features to replaces these.

Go Messenger is an executable object.

sedkiller
February 24th, 2009, 03:49
Oh yea i forgot it was in PSP folder and it was named as a savefile kinda name...

Spanishpeacock
February 24th, 2009, 04:04
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-cans-go-messenger-service)

[INDENT]"Although Go! Messenger brought innovative communications features to the PSP community, the service has not developed the base of users that we were hoping for," wrote a spokesperson for Sony.

The service ends March 31. "We’d like to thank all fans of Go!Messenger and are sorry to have to make this announcement," said Sony.

Yeah, they didn't have enough users, that's because you had to lie about where you live if you wanted to use it in the U.S. (I'm from Ireland apparently =) You also had to get the camera imported from Japan and pay crazy shipping and handling to get it over here.

Hey Sony, why don't you stop worrying about improving the PSP and get some of the useful accessories over here in the U.S. We buy useless stuff everyday for cell phones and Ipod.:confused:

Triv1um
February 24th, 2009, 11:15
Yet another fail for the PSP.