PDA

View Full Version : Wii64/Mupen 64 News - N64 Emulator for Wii/Gamecube News

wraggster
February 24th, 2009, 00:21
Heres the news from the official site:

As its been a while since our last binary release, we wanted to clarify why its been so long and what we’re waiting for for our next release. Early on in development we were making relatively big changes which significantly improved the emulator; however, we’ve gotten to the point where a lot of the big things have been done, and only need perfecting (with the exception of the dynarec). Thus, we haven’t felt the need to make several binary releases as most of the users who aren’t interested in compiling the source themselves are mostly uninterested in the kinds of changes that have been made. We do indeed have a milestone for our next release planned: a working, stable dynarec. Most of the work that has gone into the emulator since our last release has been focusing on the dynarec, and since we still don’t have a completely working dynarec, there haven’t been many noticeable changes. So we’re holding out for a dynarec which supports at least most games without crashing before we make our next release. After getting it running initially, there will likely be more room for optimization if there are still any performance issues. In that case, we will likely have frequent releases once again as there will be noticeable improvements with each optimization that is made. As always, please be patient. We’re working hard to make the next release something worth the wait.

On an unrelated technical note, we have managed to free up 1.75MB in RAM by consolidating the various memory LUTs (look-up tables) into a single LUT for all memory operations. In Mupen64, there are 8 different memory LUTs which are used to determine how to handle memory accesses at different addresses. These 8 are split up by read/write byte/half-word/word/double. Instead of having 8 large LUTs, I created one LUT for all memory operations which points to smaller LUTs which handle the different memory operations in the specified segment. Memory operations only require an additional load for the second level LUT so there is no performance impact by this change. We are still looking into other ways to further reduce our memory usage to make sure that we have plenty of room in memory for recompiled code produced by the dynarec.

http://emulatemii.com/wordpress/?p=80

KristenBaldousor
February 24th, 2009, 17:40
Man, the day this emulator comes to play goldenEye, Perfect Dark and Conkers Bad Fury Day at full FPS and perfectly, will be one of my most happy days of all my life!!!

On hold for that day to come, in the meantime, Nice Job dudes, keep the hardwork!!!

grossaffe
February 24th, 2009, 17:53
Man, the day this emulator comes to play goldenEye, Perfect Dark and Conkers Bad Fury Day at full FPS and perfectly, will be one of my most happy days of all my life!!!

On hold for that day to come, in the meantime, Nice Job dudes, keep the hardwork!!!

I wouldn't hold my breath on perfect dark. that one has problems on PC n64 emulators. I found myself juggling graphics plugins depending on what I needed at a particular moment.

KristenBaldousor
February 25th, 2009, 15:31
I wouldn't hold my breath on perfect dark. that one has problems on PC n64 emulators. I found myself juggling graphics plugins depending on what I needed at a particular moment.

I hand't have any problems with it on the current project64 releases

Still, lets see what comes in the future

grossaffe
February 25th, 2009, 22:27
I hand't have any problems with it on the current project64 releases

Still, lets see what comes in the future

is that project 64 1.6 or 1.7 beta? I never did try 1.7 as you had to pay for it.

anyways, this is a port of Mupen64. I haven't tried perfect dark on that... I guess I should give it a try and see how it is.

edit: Tried Perfect Dark on the latest version of Mupen64Plus and none of the three graphics plugins fully worked. surprisingly, Glide64 kept blacking-out the entire screen, I think some texture or something was causing it to bug out. The other two plugins (Rice and gl64, i believe) worked for the most part, but doesn't show the picture for things like the spycam and I'd assume the same goes for the IR glasses and other special graphical things, and those can be pretty important for the game down the line.

gary_abernethy2
February 26th, 2009, 04:11
Are ANY games playable yet?
Id be happy just being able to play Robotron, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and some others :-)

wolfpack
February 26th, 2009, 14:35
is that project 64 1.6 or 1.7 beta? I never did try 1.7 as you had to pay for it.

anyways, this is a port of Mupen64. I haven't tried perfect dark on that... I guess I should give it a try and see how it is.

edit: Tried Perfect Dark on the latest version of Mupen64Plus and none of the three graphics plugins fully worked. surprisingly, Glide64 kept blacking-out the entire screen, I think some texture or something was causing it to bug out. The other two plugins (Rice and gl64, i believe) worked for the most part, but doesn't show the picture for things like the spycam and I'd assume the same goes for the IR glasses and other special graphical things, and those can be pretty important for the game down the line.

I use project 64 1.6 with jabo's plugin, and i dont have any issues at all. Hell, i can even play it full speed on my laptop, hook up a controller and play like i was playing on my console, with nothing missing at all :)
Im guessing the issues could just be your computer?

grossaffe
February 26th, 2009, 17:48
I use project 64 1.6 with jabo's plugin, and i dont have any issues at all. Hell, i can even play it full speed on my laptop, hook up a controller and play like i was playing on my console, with nothing missing at all :)
Im guessing the issues could just be your computer?

nah, I have this with multiple computers. You're saying Jabo's plugin works perfectly with the spycam, IRglasses, Xray glasses, etc?