PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: PSP 2 Won't Have UMD Drive

Shrygue
February 25th, 2009, 19:48
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5160033/rumor-psp-2-wont-have-umd-drive)

The new Playstation Portable won't feature a UMD disc drive, according to Acclaim developer David Perry.

"I hear Sony FINALLY has the PSP 2. And thank goodness, they've removed the stupid battery-sucking UMD disc drive. I'm excited!" Perry wrote on both his Twitter and Facebook accounts.

It is unclear if he has seen the rumored new Playstation Portable himself or is just hearing rumors through the development community.

This rumor is the latest in a series of rumors to hit the net in the past month or so, including one from IGN and another from VG247.

If it's true that the Playstation Portable 2 won't feature a UMD disc drive, than I'd say it's likely it will instead rely on Memory Sticks and downloads through the Playstation Network Store. The bigger question is whether such a device could be backwards compatible, and if so how it would work.

There has been an awful lot of news about the PSP coming out lately, so I think it's a safe bet to say that we can expect something from Sony about the next iteration of the Playstation Portable at E3.

wraggster
February 25th, 2009, 20:08
how the hell are you supposed to play the games already released without a umd drive ?

darkriku2000
February 25th, 2009, 20:32
well it's a psp2, so either it removes backwards compatibility or these are fake rumors, from what I can tell though, sony does an ok job with backwards compatibility (better then nintendo imo)

mike_jmg
February 25th, 2009, 21:03
@Wraggster

Most popular umd games could be put on the PSN Store for a downloadable version. If you already own a copy of the game, put in the bar code and download it for free.

/topic

I think these are just rumours though, sony just published a pretty big list of games that are coming to the PSP this year, why bother if they were releasing a PSP2?

wraggster
February 25th, 2009, 21:05
the major downer is that you will alienate all of them who have umd games/movies

dejkirkby
February 25th, 2009, 21:29
Another thing to consider is that Dave Perry sometimes waffles crap.

kojiro7
February 25th, 2009, 22:34
So piracy will be even easier on psp2,nice

darkriku2000
February 25th, 2009, 23:23
So piracy will be even easier on psp2,nice

3, 2, 1...

modded

jonezybaby
February 26th, 2009, 00:23
u can get a bar code from anywere, wouldnt happen!

mebe if u buy the game in a shop they give u a download code or sumet?

osgeld
February 26th, 2009, 00:25
@Wraggster

Most popular umd games could be put on the PSN Store for a downloadable version. If you already own a copy of the game, put in the bar code and download it for free.

or in fine sony tradition, you would just simply buy it again

:thumbup:

pspandrew2006
February 26th, 2009, 01:31
I dont think there will be a PSP2 anytime soon but we will see...

osgeld
February 26th, 2009, 02:11
I dont think there will be a PSP2 anytime soon but we will see...

i agree

Ultima Chocochu
February 26th, 2009, 03:29
In all honesty, this would be really stupid....
I dunno if they should keep or ditch UMD to be honest but, if you're going to take it away make a new format then like...Another slot that is EXACTLY like the memory stick slot, in fact make the games on a Memory Stick DUO and have one slot for the game other for Memory Stick or something...
I only say that because I'd like to have the games with me, and not a stupid download >.>
Plus the games would run better and all that, yeah.

darkriku2000
February 26th, 2009, 04:13
or in fine sony tradition, you would just simply buy it again

:thumbup:

Actually, most of sony's stuff has been bc, the ps2 could play ps1 discs, and you usually can find one of the ps3's that has bc, and they even made a memory card converter so that you can transfer your ps2/x save files

Nintendo on the other hand, made the nes, then the snes couldn't play nes games, then the n64 couldn't play snes or nes games, and... well you get the picture, the wii is the only exception since it can play gamecube games, but if you want to play nes, snes, or n64 games on it then you have to buy them again

As for Xbox, well... they tried.

Ultima Chocochu
February 26th, 2009, 04:59
Yes, and most people have the expectancy of Sony consoles to have BC.
Everyone thinks BC will return to PS3(we hope), and it's highly possible and expected.

Paris/Tokyo
February 26th, 2009, 06:43
Maybe Sony can sell or include a UMD reader that connects to the PSP4K via USB (or add a faster data port to the new PSP), then DRM it so you can only use the UMD reader to copy games. Making a PS1 CD reader would be great as well (but probably wishful thinking).

mib_
February 26th, 2009, 09:44
50 million PSP's sold worldwide.

20 million PSN accounts. (and that's PS3+PSP!!).

That means there's at least 30million PSP's which don't connect.

I can't see Sony dropping at least 60% of their customers. (30 million)

wiredforpower
February 27th, 2009, 17:24
how the hell are you supposed to play the games already released without a umd drive ?

exactly. Even though they could become downloadable games, its still a ripoff that money was spent on UMD games.