PDA

View Full Version : PMP Mod 1.02 + Network Support

wraggster
February 10th, 2006, 16:04
Source Optixx (http://www.optixx.org/)

Update to PSP Media Player

<blockquote>Added Network Support to PMP Mod so that you can use your PSP as a streaming client. Basically all lowlevel IO calls are mapped to my network enabled io functions. I use a simple python based HTTP Server as backend. This version is in ‘Proof of concept’ state, so don’t expect eye-candy or a userfriendly interface.

You have to edit net_io.h to customize the WIFI setup. The remote server is included in the tarball and runs under Unix. The major modifications to vanilla PMP Mod are that the main threads needs to run in user land, so that i can handle network io properly.Anyway i had to switch to a different Button to exit PMP Mod, ‘Home’ doesn’t seem to work from user space. Also i added code to decide on each io operation either to use the normal file functions or the http based network functions, so both file types are support by this version.
Dont’t forget to edit pmpmod.c and enter your location of pmp movies on your remote computer. You need libcurl for psp to compile, a patch can be found at forums.ps2dev.org

I get around 500Kbytes/s network throughput,so i had no problem to stream a ripped DVD via network. So if you are watching 800kbit movies, libcurl needs around 0.18 seconds to pull the data. Since IO is done in a dedicated thread this has no impact on the decode performance. Iam not an expert in this encoding stuff, but i was really impressed how good this is working,with this dumb io-call-to-http-interface.</blockquote>

Download via comments

Illegal Machine
February 10th, 2006, 16:19
WOW

Me no understand

Insane1
February 10th, 2006, 18:27
WOW

Me no understand
Me either, but I might have a small idea. From what I can figure it's saying, this is talking about adding video streaming functions of some sort to PMP Mod. I can't tell whether is streaming to or from the PSP, however. I can also read from it it's only a proof of concept at the moment, although it apparently works impressively considering the IO device to HTTP call interface (correct me if I worded that incorrectly, please. Only thing I know about IO I learned from a computer class in my High School, and I'm still not too familiar with it aside from the fact IO consists of hardware devices...and I don't even know if I'm remembering that right. That's what IO is...right?)

eclection
February 10th, 2006, 18:47
What this means is that you can watch a dvd ripped movies / TV shows on your psp via your network. I think I'm going to look at this code to use for my NSV addition to pspRadio.

And, yes, eventually, someone will make it so you can stream ripped UMDs off your network too instead of having them on your memory card. I don't want to hear any bitching about that either. It will happen and there is nothing any of you, homebrew, Sony, or the FBI can do about that.

pkmaximum
February 10th, 2006, 21:03
its not that hard just follow his instructions that he listed. And if you don't understand that obviously this site is too advanced for you guys. Nothing personal.

Insane1
February 10th, 2006, 21:09
its not that hard just follow his instructions that he listed. And if you don't understand that obviously this site is too advanced for you guys. Nothing personal.
I find that insulting. I said I didn't understand what exactly the network modification did exactly (I was mainly confused on which way the video was being streamed to. The PSP or to a computer from the PSP). I NEVER said ANYTHING about not understanding the setup instructions.

And that's all I'll say. I don't wish to extend this into anything further.

shiftybill
February 11th, 2006, 01:02
sweeeeeeet this is what ive been waiting for sine i got my psp!!

MaxSMoke
February 11th, 2006, 21:51
But who's got a Unix server? I suppose I could turn my computer into a *LINUX* server using one of those bootup CD Linux disks. Is there any plans to release a bootable Linux CD that will act as a server for this? It might be more useful to offer a Windows server for the video streaming, since that's what most of us use. (like %90)

This could be MUCH cooler then Sony's RemoteTV server! That one only allows one person to access video at once. This could allow many people access to video streams. Even turn allow for a Homebrew Television Station.

MaxSMoke
February 11th, 2006, 21:51
But who's got a Unix server? I suppose I could turn my computer into a *LINUX* server using one of those bootup CD Linux disks. Is there any plans to release a bootable Linux CD that will act as a server for this? It might be more useful to offer a Windows server for the video streaming, since that's what most of us use. (like %90)

This could be MUCH cooler then Sony's RemoteTV server! That one only allows one person to access video at once. This could allow many people to access a single video stream. Even turn allow for a Homebrew Television Station.