PDA

View Full Version : Q1DS Release 1 - Quake for Nintendo DS

wraggster
February 28th, 2009, 19:35
News/release from Izhido (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=16492&sid=166e288ee3a432ea365d19320b10b68a)

Well, like they say, a geek is not a true geek until he/she attempts to do a port of Doom or Quake to his/her favorite gaming platform. With that in mind, and remembering too the Hidden Rule of every software developer (software must have the most cryptic & complex names one can think of), I present to you:

Q1DS

A port of the original Quake engine to the Nintendo DS.

http://dsotaku.drunkencoders.com/Q1DS/Q1DS.php

And, yes, there are not enough ports of Quake to the DS in this world. :)

Apologies for the simple, uninformative web page... I promise I'll make something up more decent in the following days.

Important points:

- Read the readme. It's good for us all!
- Copy Q1DS.nds to your media card, copy /ID1/ to the *root* of the card, voila!
- This thing is playable... if you can stomach playing a 10FPS engine (*my* limitation, not the original one) at effective 2-5 FPSes.
- You might need to preconfigure your keys in order to play the game to your liking. But feel free to use your own config.cfg files the way you want them.
- At least once, try to play the game with the default settings. You will find e1m1 (the very first play level, after the Introduction) a little more... um... "colored" than you remember it from the original game.

And, please, remember: this is just a prototype. It could use LOTS and LOTS of improvements; I expect to work on it on a regular basis (after DualBASIC, of course... and after my own job, of course :D )

In the meantime, please try it, suffer with it, get mighty-angry with it (and me), then send your kind, nice comments to [email protected]. k?

- Izhido

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

zauberer
February 28th, 2009, 20:04
hahaha
Awesome, never is too many ports of Doom!!

PROTIP: shoot it until it's dead!

Chris23235
March 1st, 2009, 03:15
hahaha
Awesome, never is too many ports of Doom!!

PROTIP: shoot it until it's dead!

Yeah, and this one is even a port of Quake, not Doom.

DSmanic!
March 1st, 2009, 04:45
Nothing will EVER surpass CQuake.