PDA

View Full Version : Dark Alex Member Explains Why its Good to Dev on PS3

wraggster
March 2nd, 2009, 18:51
Heres what one member of team Dar Alex has posted:

Looking at that huge console that is getting dusty on the corner of the room of the kids, so many friends have told me, "heya, why not to develop on PS3, it's kindy a cool platform and so on", and yeah, i also thought that they didn't knew about what they were talking about, being that cool-fans of Halo3.

Well, want some reasons to develop on PS3? Thinking a bit on it, i've got onto some of them.

1. It's cool. Using a cell processor to play within the SPU's like you were using a CellBlade, wtf? Too bad that it's too limited to the normal users, even using the IBM Cell SDK, and that the RSX is still too overprotected and we just can imagine the great work that it could do rendering that graphic details that some friends keep on asking for.

2. It's necessary. Ok, this point only applies for the game developers. Considering the market boost that has the rival consoles from Microsoft or Nintendo with their easy-to-play (and-to-buy) games, game developers should try to duck directly onto this console without any fear (considering that they have the funds to do this), so we can see cool games coming directly to this cool engineering piece of hardware.

3. It's not necessarily piracy-related. Well, this is a little bit of drama. At the moment, on the scene, all what you can see are fakes, "teams" that are fighting each other, and people saying that "hey, that thing was mine, not yours!" How regrettable. So, at the moment you can't find piracy and BRD Game Downloads on this console. Therefore, even though you, game developer, make an omfg-cool game that it's out at the market with a price of 70€, you'll find two kind of buyers: The ones that buy it directly, and the ones that wait till it's platinum so they can buy it for 20€.

4. It's the normal progression. Well, let's be honest. You have made cool games for PSX, then you have used the cool improvements of PS2 to move it to a next generation, and now with PS3 you have the choice to take the next step onto the third-generation consoles. Yeah, i know that it would be easier to stop, take a break and turn on your 360 and play a little of Bioshock, but that's not the point.

5. It's hard. As Sony said recently, "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" (Kaz Hirai, CEO, SCE). This is a good decision or what? Considering the facts, saying that is hard and saying on other hand that you need more people to go and play with your bits, it's a bit contradictory. But anyway, this is not quite a bad argument or something to make you definetly say NO to develop on PS3, but a challenge, as, having in mind the three third-generation consoles, PS3 is the one that has the better hardware, even though that usually turns onto more costs.

What do you think?

http://sceners.org/?itemid=206

Spyzius
March 4th, 2009, 15:48
So Dark alex have no interest in hacking ps3?

F9zDark
March 4th, 2009, 22:32
I think he's spot on. But honestly, Sony should ease up on the RSX. I hate to say it (because its really bad for Sony) but Homebrew and the Dark Alex crew, were in fact those who SAVED the PSP from a complete, utter and pitiful defeat.

When people found out that the PSP could play homebrew, they no doubt went out in droves to buy it; because now they could do what THEY WANTED to do with the system rather than be stuck within Sony's set parameters.

Is there always that issue of piracy? Of course; but Sony could implement other means of protecting the console from running pirated games.