PDA

View Full Version : British Rating Board: Resident Evil 5 Is Not Racist

Shrygue
March 2nd, 2009, 18:51
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5162594/british-rating-board-resident-evil-5-is-not-racist)

When the Resident Evil 5 trailer was first shown, it raised some eyebrows. Some were critical, saying the set-in-Africa game used racist imagery.

Later builds of the game showed a variety of races as the zombies, but several website reported that some of questionable imagery remained. Both Eurogamer and Kikizo described a scene depicting "a white blonde woman being dragged off, screaming, by black men."

Apparently, the version of the game submitted to the British Board of Film Classification did not contain this potentially offensive scene. Sue Clark, Head of Communications at the British Board of Film Classification, explains, "In the version [of the scene] submitted to the BBFC there is only one man pulling the blonde woman in from the balcony, and I can't say the skimpiness of her dress impressed itself on me. The single man is not black either. As the whole game is set in Africa it is hardly surprising that some of the characters are black, just like the fact that some of the characters in an earlier version were Spanish as the game was set in Spain."

The BBFC states that it does take racism "very seriously"; however, it added that the version of RE5 is not racist. "As I said yesterday, we do take racism very seriously," said Clark, "but in this case there is no issue around racism."

Ultima Chocochu
March 3rd, 2009, 04:48
It never was racist
Depending on where you go in the world, (such as Asia or Africa, or what not) you'd see that the majority of people are going to be the race of the current region, so I never got why anyone thought this one was racist but not Resident Evil 4.

Triv1um
March 3rd, 2009, 11:23
It is typical people would play this card.

It's all i'm going to say on this matter.