PDA

View Full Version : UK CHARTS: Killzone 2 triumphant

Shrygue
March 2nd, 2009, 19:42
via MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33402/UK-CHARTS-Killzone-2-triumphant)

After over three years of hype and unimagined pressure to perform, Sony’s PS3 exclusive first person shooter Killzone 2 has kept its nerve and debuted at the top of the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 40.

The victory is all the sweeter having had to fend off the advances of Microsoft’s latest instalment to its Halo franchise, Halo Wars, which begins its charts career in second spot.

Last week’s number one, Capcom’s Street Fighter IV, is forced in to third place, though it holds off Nintendo’s Wii Fit for another week as that drops to fourth spot.

Elsewhere in the listings, Professor Layton has a strong week, climbing from 11th to fifth. Konami’s Silent Hill: Homecoming debuts just outside the Top Ten at number 11, whilst THQ’s Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II slip dramatically from third to 18th.

Capcom’s Wii only Dead Rising: Chop ‘Til You Drop failed to make the Top 40 this week, making it to just number 13 in the Wii listings.

The ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 40 in full (for the week ending Feb 28th):

1. Killzone 2 (Sony)
2. Halo Wars (Microsoft)
3. Street Fighter IV (Capcom)
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
5. Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Nintendo)
6. Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (Sega)
7. FIFA 09 (EA)
8. Call of Duty: World at War (Activision Blizzard)
9. Ben 10: Alien Force (D3P)
10. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

Accordion
March 2nd, 2009, 23:40
great news. KZ2 deserves the attention.

The enemy AI is incredible.

Triv1um
March 2nd, 2009, 23:58
I really want this. :(

Shadowblind
March 3rd, 2009, 03:59
I can't stand a game where getting a headshot is more about aiming in the general direction and hoping you get lucky, but its great to hear this game is doing well. Its graphics are stunning.

The demo convinced me out of a purchase, but I'll probably still pick it up after a price drop.

Malksta
March 3rd, 2009, 05:03
Sony finally know how to market their games. The rise of PS3 is upon us =>

Accordion
March 3rd, 2009, 10:59
I can't stand a game where getting a headshot is more about aiming in the general direction and hoping you get lucky, but its great to hear this game is doing well. Its graphics are stunning.

The demo convinced me out of a purchase, but I'll probably still pick it up after a price drop.

what are you talking about.

The ISA rifle is incredibly accurate when used correctly, the dot scope helps.

DarthPaul
March 3rd, 2009, 13:55

Are you talking about Killzone 2?

I'm sorry but that's one of the noobiest things I've ever heard about the game. It's as realistic as it gets, if you can't stand that, you're making the right decision to let it pass. What I can't personally stand is these people bitching about the controls and the difficulty of getting used to the game itself.

And, yes... The demo sucked, it even turned me off. I've been so excited about the game since it was announced. I've been tracking up every update about it, and when I played the demo, I was like "Is this seriously it?". But no, the demo is not it. The demo has the ugliest, emptiest, and worst level in the game. It gets so much better after that, in every aspect.

This is truly a wonderful game. The singleplayer campaign and the multiplayer are massive, and immensely addictive. This is what I've been expecting from a game this generation since I bought my PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. I've always been skeptical about game-play, sound, animations... And all these games released this generation lack that. Seems like developers are concentrating on delivering good graphics, and sacrifice everything else. But this is not the case with Guerilla Games and their complete game. One of the few complete games this generation.

Darksaviour69
March 3rd, 2009, 14:16
The demo has the ugliest, emptiest, and worst level in the game.

Well that's a bit silly, surely the demo should be selling the game.

I wonder if killzone is driving ps3 hardware sales, should find out in a week or too

Shadowblind
March 3rd, 2009, 17:23
Are you talking about Killzone 2?

I'm sorry but that's one of the noobiest things I've ever heard about the game. It's as realistic as it gets, if you can't stand that, you're making the right decision to let it pass. What I can't personally stand is these people bitching about the controls and the difficulty of getting used to the game itself.

And, yes... The demo sucked, it even turned me off. I've been so excited about the game since it was announced. I've been tracking up every update about it, and when I played the demo, I was like "Is this seriously it?". But no, the demo is not it. The demo has the ugliest, emptiest, and worst level in the game. It gets so much better after that, in every aspect.

This is truly a wonderful game. The singleplayer campaign and the multiplayer are massive, and immensely addictive. This is what I've been expecting from a game this generation since I bought my PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. I've always been skeptical about game-play, sound, animations... And all these games released this generation lack that. Seems like developers are concentrating on delivering good graphics, and sacrifice everything else. But this is not the case with Guerilla Games and their complete game. One of the few complete games this generation.

Please never again ever speak of this "its cus its realistic" crap to me again. Thats a pathetic excuse I've heard butchered so many times to fit the flaws of this game its just stupid now. If they really wanted this game to be so realistic, you wouldn't be able to reload and run at the same time, you wouldn't be able to recover from a bullet wound, and the "realistic " weight of the gun wouldn't make it so improbably to carry two different weapons at a time. If the only way to aim in a game is using ironsights simply because the other way of aiming is fidgity and sensative, then something is wrong. I don't care what the reason was for making the aiming as it was, "realistic" or not after 5 demo playthroughs still without being able control well FPS fans will become vexxed very quickly.

People bitch about the controls because to them, they are BAD. When a group of people all say the exact same thing, its not because they all suck, its not because of some vast anti-Killzone conspiracy, its bercause there is a unanimous agreement among many people that it is true. There shouldn't be difficulty in learning how to control a game, and simply blaming it on players being unwilling to learn the difficulty curve after many multiple tries is simply insulting and offensive.

Regardless, my impressions and the impressions I've heard from people make it sound like the game is not for those who like Halo or Call of Duty games. Particularly this game isn't for players like me, those who snipe in every shooter they can and rely on good, accurate control to find enjoyment in games. If you like it, love it, thats fantastic, but just calling a huge percent of FPS gamers who can't stand the controls "noobs" because they are "realistic" is in itself noobish.

Good to hear there are people who like the game, like I said I'll probably still pick it up after a price drop.

Accordion
March 3rd, 2009, 17:55
I really dont understand peoples issues with the controls.

The game is meant to be slower paced and the controls enforce this, I have had no troubles whatsoever adjusting. Trophies for 3 in a row head-shots with the revolver, 3 enemies with a single burst of fire, sub boss fights in under a minute, etc all were gained on my first play-through without any trouble or even special attention to trophy requirements.
I wouldnt be able to achieve them if the aiming was crippled would I?

If you cant make accurate heads-hots then you're just not doing it right, the default rifle is scarily accurate for mid range head-shots.