PDA

View Full Version : Court Injunction Or Not, R4 Devices Still On Sale In Akihabara

wraggster
March 3rd, 2009, 00:23
The Tokyo District Court ruled an injunction against the Chinese R4 makers for "violation under Japan's laws". You'd think that would mean one couldn't walk into a game shop and buy one. You'd think.

In late 2008, Nintendo (and 53 other companies) took legal action against the makers of the R4 cart, a device which allows, amongst other things, the pirating of games on a DS.

In the wake of last week's injunction, Yahoo! Auctions Japan has issued a notice that putting R4 devices up for sell on its site is now prohibited.

Even after the Tokyo District Court's injunction, stores in otaku shopping paradise Akihabara continue to opening advertise the R4, and the device seems widely available. Sure, there might be a lag for retail to catch up with the recent decision to prohibit selling the devices, but don't expect the R4 business in Japan to dry up any time soon.

http://kotaku.com/5162563/court-injunction-or-not-r4-devices-still-on-sale-in-akihabara

Kakashi987
March 3rd, 2009, 02:42
The Tokyo District Court ruled an injunction against the Chinese R4 makers for "violation under Japan's laws". You'd think that would mean one couldn't walk into a game shop and buy one. You'd think.

In late 2008, Nintendo (and 53 other companies) took legal action against the makers of the R4 cart, a device which allows, amongst other things, the pirating of games on a DS.

In the wake of last week's injunction, Yahoo! Auctions Japan has issued a notice that putting R4 devices up for sell on its site is now prohibited.

Even after the Tokyo District Court's injunction, stores in otaku shopping paradise Akihabara continue to opening advertise the R4, and the device seems widely available. Sure, there might be a lag for retail to catch up with the recent decision to prohibit selling the devices, but don't expect the R4 business in Japan to dry up any time soon.

http://kotaku.com/5162563/court-injunction-or-not-r4-devices-still-on-sale-in-akihabara

My comment claiming this months ago was deleted. So, I thought I'd just place a little "I told you so".

rancor01
March 3rd, 2009, 07:43
I was just in Akihabara yesterday, and the R4s are still out in force. Nothing has changed.

Brainy142
March 3rd, 2009, 12:49
Epic Failure!!!

indaman
March 3rd, 2009, 18:19
I'll simply say:

-NintendOwned. :)

And actually, one flashcart disapear, 10 new appear on the market.