PDA

View Full Version : DSi region locking a response to age ratings

Shrygue
March 4th, 2009, 19:47
via MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33431/DSi-region-locking-a-response-to-age-ratings)

DSi software will be region locked because of the growing number of different age ratings and restrictions seen in the world’s varying games markets, Nintendo has stated.

Speaking to The Times, UK boss David Yarnton explained: “There are many different age requirements with games around the world. I’ve been involved with the industry body, and we’ve just had the Byron review, so it’s quite topical.

"As an industry, we are trying to take a responsible stance in that area, to make sure that we have people aware of what content they get, and that there is a certain amount of protection.”

Yarnton also went on to discuss the firm’s ongoing efforts to battle the threat posed to gaming from piracy, and the measures Nintendo has taken to combat it:

“The DSi has a number of enhancements to built-in security. There’s firmware that we can upgrade, to try and keep one step ahead at all times. Hopefully that will protect not only our Intellectual Property but also our publishers, who put a lot of time and investment into developing games.”

So then, what do you think of Nintendo's policy of region-locking the DSi software? Reply via comments below.

wraggster
March 4th, 2009, 19:51
so basically dslite only if you want to play homebrew

personally i think its a massive backward step to lose region free gaming

robman84
March 4th, 2009, 21:06
Are we supposed to believe that BS about the region locking being "for our protection"? Not even slightly convincing Nintendo, must try harder. Why not explain the real reason - MONEY. Control the region = control the price.

ndstal
March 4th, 2009, 21:51
wait so what about that flashcart for dsi would that work if we update the dsi? i dont have either dsi or dsi flashcart but am interested

crookedmouth
March 4th, 2009, 21:58
Though they will still make crap-loads of money, they have convinced me that my next hand-held will not be from Nintendo. Most likely something from Gamepark.

ndstal
March 5th, 2009, 01:10
so do you think the flashcart people will update their software to match nintendo dsi's security and features

crookedmouth
March 5th, 2009, 02:55
Who knows, It could become a custom vs official firmware battle but DS homebrew seems to be tapering off a bit. If you just want to use it for homebrew it seems you could just not update the firmware. I'm assuming that updating the firmware would somehow stop a flashcard from running commercial roms. Like I said, who knows. :)

Jeric
March 5th, 2009, 04:20
Likely going to go for a gamepark number for my next handheld, or possibly a pandora depending on when it comes out. Sorry Nintendo, if you'd just be honest to us rather than trying to feed your customers lies about the 'why' of region locking I might have bothered looking at DSi as a homebrew machine. Oh well.

wiggy fuzz
March 6th, 2009, 19:25
what's to age rate? 99% of ds games are rated ages 3 and up...