PDA

View Full Version : 94% of parents take responsibility for their kid’s gaming

wraggster
March 5th, 2009, 21:34
Whilst 69 per cent of kids say they want their parents to be more involved in policing the games they play

A new study entitled Play Safe, Play Smart from Microsoft has claimed that 94 per cent of UK parents feel “personally responsible” for checking the age ratings on the games played by their kids.

In addition, the report says that 73 per cent of UK parents are aware of parental control system present on modern games consoles.

However, it seems that there’s plenty of positivity toward gaming amongst UK adults. 80 per cent see gaming as a vital component in a balanced blend of modern and traditional entertainment. 74 per cent believe games are educational, 61 per cent see them as a great social experience and 52 per cent feel games bring their family together.

On the flip side, 69 per cent of kids would like to see parents be more involved in checking the suitability of the games they play. 47 per cent of the children spoken to claimed that their parents never vet the titles they play. 64 per cent said they were sometimes allowed to play titles rated higher than their actual age.

No details were given concerning how the survey was conducted.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33447/94-of-parents-take-responsibility-for-their-kids-gaming

darkriku2000
March 5th, 2009, 22:03
New statistics from my personal experience in the US:

99.99 percent of parents don't look at the rating system

100 percent of the above 99.99 claim that they didn't know where to find it ('cause, y'know, it's place always changes)

well, at least all 3 parents who do look at the rating care about it

basilb
March 6th, 2009, 07:35
makes you wonder what the other 6% are doing

sorceror
March 6th, 2009, 14:49
well, at least all 3 parents who do look at the rating care about it

Do you know where I can find the other two? :)

The stats seem reasonable to me. I only use the specific rating as a starting point, then look at the actual game. I have indeed let my kids play games above their nominal age level, if I think they can handle it. (Maybe not Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, for example. Duh.)

So long as the kids are able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality, it's usually not such a huge deal.