PDA

View Full Version : Sony shrugs off iPhone, mobile games threat

wraggster
March 5th, 2009, 21:38
PSP is "always going to win out" as a dedicated games machine, says UK boss.
Sony Computer Entertainment UK MD Ray Maguire has shrugged off any perceived threat to the company's PSP handheld from Apple's iPhone, and mobile gaming in general.

Speaking in an interview with ME sister magazine MCV to be published tomorrow, Maguire also says Sony is actively targeting the kinds of 'snacking' games that are prevalent in mobile.

Asked if Sony is feeling any pressure from iPhone, he said: "The mobile phone market for games has been around for a number of years, [but] the overall quality - despite some strong titles there - has been limited because of the different handsets and infrastructure in that business.

"The iPhone has the advantage of being a single device and is growing a reasonable installed base, but [it] doesn't have the production power that a PSP has. As a specific games machine, the PSP is always going to win out.

"We're in a great position to take on the interest in these snacking games and produce them at better quality, lower prices, with lower cost of development - that's a great business model."

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/32821/Sony-shrugs-off-iPhone-mobile-games-threat

apex05
March 5th, 2009, 22:31
Developers can make 5 Iphone shovelware games in the time of 1 average Psp game, and have a better chance of profit, the Psp is a better games machine but Sony really should worry.

Ultima Chocochu
March 6th, 2009, 00:54
I don't think anyoen is worried about iPhone games to be honest...It's like cell phone games, how often does anyone play those? And how often are they actually good?

apex05
March 6th, 2009, 01:32
Yeah but how good are most NDS games? Not very. And that's the Psp's biggest competition, it's easy to think the Psp is a better machine so doesn't have to worry about lesser competition, but the fact is Money talks, and developers listen

devdj
March 6th, 2009, 16:34
iphone a threat yeah right its no more of threat then comparing tea to coffee, coffee is strong just like sony are head strong to the fact that apple poses little to no threat to them unless apple were to merge with lets say nintendo then sony can wet itself and beg for help from microsoft lol

Nokiaman
March 6th, 2009, 16:42
iPhone sucks.It's only for "cool" fools

Buddy4point0
March 6th, 2009, 21:55
Personally, I like my itouch.
But in terms of gaming, it's not even close to the games I enjoy on my PSP.
Itouch games are very similar to cell phone games.