PDA

View Full Version : PSP or a DS

bugs
March 9th, 2009, 13:58
Hiya All,

In a bit of a dilema, id like a handheld console and have looked at the PSP or the DS, my wife has a DS and I really like some of the games on it, and love the look of the new GTA game on it.

My stepson has a PSP and I guess this is the computer geeky bit of me getting out I love the technology in the PSP there are some fantastic games on it too. but i`m VERY torn between the two, the only thing really holding me back on the PSP is the fact there doesn't seem to be many new games being released for it these days.

anyone got any thoughts or comments?

shadowprophet
March 9th, 2009, 16:02
Homebrew is the thing to consider, the psp simply has more of it and the emus are simply hands down a just reason to own a psp...

Still yet, in my eyes Final fantasy 3 and 4 DS are reason enough to own a ds,

To be honest, the psp will give you more bang for your buck though, i dont think anyone will deny that, but only if your interested in exploting it for homebrew,

in short, if your going to trick said console out to enable homebrew, you may as well get a psp.. if your only interested in comercial gaming, get a ds, and dont forget to pick up a copy of final fantasy 4 ds, its the bombdigity,,

dejkirkby
March 9th, 2009, 17:37
That said, there is a plethora of amazing games on the horizon for PSP.
I have never regretted purchasing PSP's at all.

Buddy4point0
March 9th, 2009, 19:12
PSP hands down.
Not only does it already have a great lineup of commercial and homebrew games, but this coming year is full of great releases.

There's also multiple GTA's on PSP if you're wanting that.

mike_jmg
March 10th, 2009, 05:26
I love my psp and I've never regreted getting one, also never regreted getting the second wich is a slim.

There are a lot of games coming for the PSP, and as Buddy already pointed out, there are two GTA games for the PSP already, if that's what you're looking for

it can also play videos, music and images, among other things

kojiro7
March 14th, 2009, 20:15
The answer is DS.Buy it with a flashcard and a 4gb microsd card,fill it with many games and homebrew and you will be super happy.It has bigger collection than psp.Psp has better visuals and homebrew but you cant fill many games on memory card and you have to connect it to your pc all the time to change games and its battery is lower life than ds.

xXSTR8FSXx
March 14th, 2009, 20:44
The DS man. The DSI is coming out and it can do a lot of things the PSP can. Plus the DSI has a built in camera and the most important thing, games. Games usually make the outcome of a system a failure or a success. Look back at the PS2 and Xbox. The PS2 sold better because it has almost double the games of the Xbox. And the same goes with the PS3 and the 360.

Saracchini
March 14th, 2009, 22:11
Depends about what you expect of an portable gaming device.

PSP is for people who wants something with good processing power and good homebrew and multimedia capabilities. It is like a electronic swiss-knife. It's game library have awesome games, but it is a shame see that most developers dont push PSP hardware to the limits and most of then really sucks. The battery life is not too short, except for the Phat. I must say that it lasts a long gaming session... i never played from 100% to empty charge in a row. For movies and images is the best hand held that i put my hands.

DS have a strong game library and despite the graphical difference, some are quite good for many people. However, excluding the touch screen possibilities, it is not good enough for applications which demands too much CPU and memory... so it have a lot of limitations with homebrew. The battery life is awesome and enough to play until you don't endure anymore. You can see movies and play music on that, but i don't recommend watch movies with subtitles in it.

For storage both have large SD/MS cards available. So if you have card readers in your PC it wont pose a problem to store data/games in it. The PSP have the little advantage to be a MS reader itself which you can connect through USB.

Personally , for my taste both game libraries are weak. So homebrew and CPU capabilities made a whole world of difference for my choice. I didnt regreted to buy my PSP.

I advice you to try games from both and see if then really make the difference.

kojiro7
March 15th, 2009, 01:38
If the man wants homebrew on a handheld,its a mistake to depend on psp or ds when there is out there the gp2x,wiz and pandora.Both psp and ds dont have a good MAME yet.And the real deal of emulators is MAME.You buy a machine for its current games,homebrew capabilities are welcome but come second.Excluding Xbox1 which is the best emulator thing after the PC.
Psp has to offer a limited collection of quality games with almost ps2 quality and low battery life and can fit few games on memory card.DS has to offer a mass collection of games,unique controls,many of them real gems but with N64 quality graphics and long battery life and can fit many games on memory card.
Choose among this criteria and not homebrew

quicksilver02
March 18th, 2009, 10:01
if your having trouble in deciding, get both :D

im using a DS right now and im quite enjoying the games because of the *cough*R4*Cough*

on the other hand im interested in getting the PSP because of the good graphics of the games

the_eternal_dark
March 30th, 2009, 06:41
Wait until the DSi comes out before making a decision.

I have a PSP 1000 and 2000, and a black DS Lite with the m3lite. Both rock for homebrew and commercial games.

emu-gamer
March 30th, 2009, 16:32
I think i would prefer the Nintendo (http://www.onlinegames-free.co.uk/category_card.html) handheld because there are more and better games for the DS i think...

Syd.
March 30th, 2009, 18:43
Wait until the DSi comes out before making a decision.

I have a PSP 1000 and 2000, and a black DS Lite with the m3lite. Both rock for homebrew and commercial games.

:thumbup: DSi doesn't seem to be much of an improvement but true, this should wait. Isn't there a PSP 3000 coming as well?
I think DS holds the best potential for Homebrew and Commercial. Although PSP is much more powerful. :p

the_eternal_dark
March 30th, 2009, 22:34
:thumbup: DSi doesn't seem to be much of an improvement but true, this should wait. Isn't there a PSP 3000 coming as well?
I think DS holds the best potential for Homebrew and Commercial. Although PSP is much more powerful. :p

Aside from the higher clock speeds, dual cams, bigger screens, a web browser based on opera, media player, sd capable, etc, not much of an improvement.

PSP 3000 was a joke. The screen, although bright, had a scanline issue (dont know if it was actually fixed), other than that, it's basically a locked version of the 2000. Get the PSP 2000 instead, then mod the hell out of it.

Syd.
March 31st, 2009, 18:09
Aside from the higher clock speeds, dual cams, bigger screens, a web browser based on opera, media player, sd capable, etc, not much of an improvement.

Absolutely True. :D
But still, DS does provide much more. I don't know much about PSP's.

PSP 3000 was a joke. The screen, although bright, had a scanline issue (dont know if it was actually fixed), other than that, it's basically a locked version of the 2000. Get the PSP 2000 instead, then mod the hell out of it.
:rofl: :thumbup:

the_eternal_dark
April 2nd, 2009, 06:14
Absolutely True. :D
But still, DS does provide much more. I don't know much about PSP's.

:rofl: :thumbup:

PSP's are eye candy dreams.

Live free, mod hard. :thumbup:

Partof300
April 3rd, 2009, 01:45
Well, as I'm sure most of you know a new version of the PSP is due out this year I'm thinking sometime in the fall, but I don't know plans of the U.K.

As for the PSP not having very many games...

John Koller, "There's a lot of announcements coming up to E3 and particularly at E3. [Emphasis added.] There's probably 50-60 percent of the lineup for the year that has not been announced and there's some big titles coming. So there's a lot of excitement on PSP. "

source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6207289.html

quicksilver02
April 3rd, 2009, 07:46
i prefer the DS due to there are lots of games in it, especially the flash carts and homebrew games are exceptionally addicting