PDA

View Full Version : NIMF Disappointed with Nintendo

wraggster
March 10th, 2009, 20:21
Hardcore gamers have been anxiously awaiting MadWorld for a long time. But not everyone is happy to see the stylish, kill-happy game arrive. The National Institute on Media and the Family (NIMF) issued a press release this morning complaining that Nintendo has "shed its 'family friendly' reputation with MadWorld's release."

"The release of MadWorld for the Wii brings violent videogames to a once family-friendly platform," said Dr. David Walsh, president of the National Institute on Media and the Family. "In MadWorld, gamers use the Wii Remote to make the necessary physical actions to chainsaw an opponent in half, impale an enemy with a signpost or decapitate a victim with a golf club. MadWorld is another reminder that parents need to make sure they watch what their kids watch and play what their kids play.

"In the past, the Wii has successfully sold itself as being the gaming console for the entire family and a way to bring family-game nights back into people's living rooms. Unfortunately, Nintendo opened its doors to the violent videogame genre. The National Institute on Media and the Family hopes that Nintendo does not lose sight of its initial audience and continues to offer quality, family-friendly games."

The press release goes on to quote IGN's review of MadWorld in order to describe some of the possible kills players can perform.

Each year, NIMF issues a videogame report card, grading the industry on its efforts to regulate violent games. In 2008, the industry was given an "A." Over the years the organization has singled out many games it found objectionable, such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. In 2005, NIMF famously accused the videogame industry of promoting cannibalism because of the Xbox game Stubbs the Zombie.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/960/960820p1.html

grossaffe
March 11th, 2009, 06:01
boo freaking hoo. the Wii wasn't supposed to be a kiddy system, it was supposed to be a system for EVERYONE, which means games tailored for each individual group of gamers rather than only family-friendly games. Madworld is only helping to deliver on the concept of being a system for everyone rather than just a system for kids and non-gamers. you don't like it? DON'T ****ING BUY IT!

Rixus
March 11th, 2009, 14:41
I was thinking this was something ...[I]serious[I] until I saw the last part about promoting cannibalism in games...and that just made me laugh out loud.

Got a whack job for every season it seems...hah oh well...