PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana Makes You Stupider & Worser At Gaming

wraggster
March 10th, 2009, 20:26
The U.S. Government-funded Above The Influence campaign warns that Marijuana use will significantly impact your gaming performance:

"Getting high affects your brain in ways that may directly influence your gaming ability," warns the Drug Czar's Web site, citing the impairment of "many of the skills required for winning a background, defeating an opponent, [and] beating games."
To dramatize how bad a stoner can be at video games, the site interviews a computer-generated character who laments the demise of a gamer friend of hers. "I used to have a good time with Lyle. We made a good team. He had skill. He had swiftness," she says. "Well, he used to, anyway. Then our last fight, Lyle decided to get high. And it was simply: sayonara skill, sayonara swiftness."

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/45317/Marijuana-Makes-You-Stupider-Worser-At-Gaming

Airdevil
March 10th, 2009, 21:25
This REALLY required a study to prove this?

I would have thought that would have been COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

lampsta
March 10th, 2009, 21:48
huh? I seem 2 play better when im high

M1FF1N
March 10th, 2009, 22:09
huh? I seem 2 play better when im high

Thats cus you're high.

ish420ism
March 10th, 2009, 23:00
Not just in gaming. I noticed that when I would get high in the morning, even hours before going to work, it would cause me to struggle for the rest of the day at keeping up in my duties. It was no problem if I didn't smoke at all. So, I just gave up smoking entirely. Although my display name has not reflected the change.

psp411
March 10th, 2009, 23:11
the person who made the title for the story seems to have been smoking it lol... stupider and worser? haha... but anyway, any narcotic that can influence the way you think obviously lessens the way you execute action. no exceptions with games :D :cool:

osgeld
March 11th, 2009, 03:38
least they are sucking at games, and not driving a car

jamotto
March 11th, 2009, 03:43
What if you don't inhale?

mike_jmg
March 11th, 2009, 04:50
Lol

This could be applied to any kind of drug, cause I suck at gaming when I'm drunk, specially at tekken

mib_
March 11th, 2009, 13:29
Rubbish, I play better when I'm stoned.... and the best part? If you do lose, you don't care! :D

MidniteAssassin2
March 11th, 2009, 15:27
Being high seems to make no difference in the way I play, but it depends.

In Sports games I usually get more into it, and have much more fun. And like someone said, I don't care at all if I lose.

In FPS games, sober or drunk I always end up playing Rambo and dying a lot. Where as when I'm high I tend to make better use of cover, and stay out of large crowds, and actually do much better.

In horror games, I get scared and hit the pause button a lot...or like in the older RE games when you can't see what's around that corner...I just go back through the door I came from and run back to the safe room.

In Role Playing Games, I fall asleep.

strikingeuphony
March 11th, 2009, 16:04
That is a load of crap so that they can keep getting funding. I haven't smoked in a while, but I've smoked the best for years and played videogames while doing it and it didn't make me play worse. Sometimes it makes you play better because you will naturally react in ways that you would as if you hadn't been smoking at your full potential. Marijuana actually stimulates the brain depending on the person smoking it. It can make you lazy, but if you aren't a lazy person it will stimulate you in ways as if it makes you do things better. I've seen a guy smoke an ounce of the best chronic from another country, and then whoop everybody in a game of ping pong as if the stuff made him superhuman. I smoked the same stuff with him and I'm an excellent ping pong player and he'd beat me almost every time. He was even running around playing basketball locally 3 times a week off an 1/8th prior to playing and killing everybody playing power forward and hitting 3's like he was Rasheed Wallace!
:eek:

Do not believe these studies when it comes to marijuana because it's all BS so that the drug Czar keeps getting all that money a year for funding. Seriously, I've played Street Fighter and murdered while I was high. It makes your mind just let go sometimes. But if you're a lazy person, it'll make play worse because you'll be more amazed by how everything looks than caring if you doing well in the game or not. Before I even started smoking, I read everything about it. Marijuana doesn't do jack to you that's harmful except shrink your lungs in a way that's a lot less harmful and is far more recoverable than with smoking cigarettes. Cut their funding in half and they'll make up a story and do a study saying that marijuana kills you. :rolleyes:

MicroNut
March 11th, 2009, 21:10
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmYi5u9BhtI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmYi5u9BhtI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jaws365
March 11th, 2009, 21:25
Maybe it matters how often you smoke an play games at the same tme. I know people playing well on music-instruments when they are drunk, but then would have have to practice it for many years.

devdj
March 12th, 2009, 00:18
i find that after a toke or two and a few drinks that i m much better at playing games this is just more propoganda bullshit its time the governments learn that weed is the answer to many of lifes problems so smoke it and fly peace out mfs

kaferenza
March 12th, 2009, 00:59
Another great example of how a lot of people are sheep. "It has to be true because the government wouldn't lie to us!". Anyone who bothers to actually sit down and do *gasp* research knows that all of the abovetheinfluence commercials are completely false. Upon researching you'll also find that a lot of the pro-marijuana research has been done by individuals in the government and medical fields. Besides at any point that you make a statement as a fact and something proves it false just once then you can no longer state that point as a fact because it has become impericaly false. In other words, if you state that marijuana is a gateway drug and so much as one person doesn't go on to do any other drug then that statement is false. Live above the influence? Live above the lies.

das64
March 13th, 2009, 00:41
I don't know?, once when I was stoned, I got a 5 second best lap on snes koopa troopa beach 1 on Mario Kart Super Circuit that to this day I still can't come close to.

Also, got some of my best Homerun Contest scores, and match replay's in brawl while high.
I like it when there are games that record your scores and replay's, so that in such an occasion, you CAN tell whether your performance increases or decreases, to watch when you are sober.

fpcreator2000
March 13th, 2009, 14:00
I tried to play games when I was drunk once. It had the same effect on me as sitting on swivel chair, and spinning it round and round.

Krisando
March 14th, 2009, 06:02
Why does every1 seem to get high? Thankfully we have the 2012 Apocalypse to look forward too :D

KadoRock
March 14th, 2009, 07:25
Why did they sink any money into this study? This seems like a waste of time and money and this cant be true in all cases. My reaction times feel more natural when I'm high and it can help you relax as well. Really a shame were lied to,putting weed in the same category as other drugs give people the wrong perception about it and after it is tried they think other drugs cant be that bad.:confused: