PDA

View Full Version : The GameCube Made Shigeru Miyamoto "Very Sad"

wraggster
March 11th, 2009, 22:36
Nintendo's Senior Managing Director Shigeru Miyamoto was not a happy man during the GameCube era. The creator of Link and Mario describes Nintendo's fourth-generation console entry as a time of "dilemma."

Miyamoto says in a new Famitsu interview, by way of 1UP, that during the Nintendo 64 and GameCube lifespans, Nintendo was following in the path of other, more successful competitors.

"I was endlessly fascinated with 3D worlds, but what with all the issues I had to tinker with in terms of rendering and processing speed, it got to the point where I didn't know who was making the games any longer," Miyamoto said.

That Nintendo had failed to capture the imagination of the gaming public the way that Sony had during the post-Super Nintendo era made for one unhappy Miyamoto.

"If Nintendo's games fail to stand out as games that aren't made that way proliferate, then it shows that the creation process is for nothing, which made me very sad," Miyamoto explained. "That was especially obvious during the GameCube era; Nintendo titles were hardly even discussed by the [non-gaming] general public back then."

It was the GameCube's cooler reception that led Nintendo's engineers to think about "starting over from scratch," revisiting NES titles for the Game Boy Advance and designing the Nintendo DS with two (initially confounding) screens. Then, well, you know what happened.

Hey, Shigeru, I think we all felt a little bad during the GameCube era. I mean, I paid full price for Luigi's Mansion. Try going through that sometime.

http://kotaku.com/5168404/the-gamecube-made-shigeru-miyamoto-very-sad

Eviltaco64
March 12th, 2009, 21:30
I still like Gamecube a lot better than I like Wii. It has a very good selection of games that are all dirt cheap now and even has a good homebrew scene. What more could you ask for?

The Wii has a few good games right now, like Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Metroid Prime 3. Madworld looks good too.

But I feel like the Wii's main attraction isn't collecting coins or killing Ganon repeatedly. I find it's games like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and other "super ultra fun minigame" titles that make Nintendo so much money, which I don't care for at all.

So all in all, I find the Wii a little disappointing at the moment. But it could easily be turned around. Until then, I have every other Nintendo console. I'll just stick to them. ;)

And where are the new Kirby, F-Zero, Earthbound, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, and Mario Golf/Tennis games!? :rofl:

wiggy fuzz
March 13th, 2009, 18:35
he can't be unhappy with the gamecube now...

with it's new slim white body and all

Innodent
March 15th, 2009, 00:09
Eviltaco64, I couldn't agree more. By console standards, the Wii is experiencing its mid-life crisis, and the few major titles it's got don't feel particularly ground-breaking (A tip of the hat to Mario Galaxy though). Software selection wise I think the Wii could end up being another N64.