PDA

View Full Version : Dream On Magazine Poll

DCEmu_Newsposter
July 1st, 2004, 10:44
MetaFox is working on an interesting project and now needs your feedback:[br][br]I am just about ready to release the unofficial print magazine dedicated to Dreamcast, Dream On, but I want to gauge which route to go about selling the magazine. Professional printing is expensive, so I'm going to do a cheaper, less profesional print run if demand isn't high.[br][br]Please, state in this topic (http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52634) if you are going to be purchasing the magazine or not, so I can decide what format print run to produce the magazine.

Hevyduty
July 1st, 2004, 11:09
I'll buy a copy for me and probably a copy for everyone I know with a DC. So that's around 5 copies or so, especially if the price is in the $5 to $7 range.

Very much looking forward to the mag.

-HD

Note: I did not participate in the DCEmu poll.

Christuserloeser
July 1st, 2004, 11:45
It'll even include a CD with independent / homebrewn games :)

All for 5 Dollars!

Darksaviour69
July 1st, 2004, 18:01
i think i will have to give in and Register to dcemu.com :'(
just so i can orderr the mag!

MetaFox
July 1st, 2004, 18:26
i think i will have to give in and Register to dcemu.com :'(
just so i can orderr the mag!
You can order it without voting in the poll.

That's just there to gauge interest - it's not for collecting preorders. I'll just add 1 to the final total of the poll. :)

curt_grymala
July 1st, 2004, 18:40
If you post in this topic, and you don't vote in the poll at DCEmulation, please make a note of that in your post. If you post in this topic, and you have already voted in the poll at DCEmulation, please make a note of that, too. That will help MetaFox keep track of how many people are really voting and responding.

@Meta - I think this is a great idea, and, if I can get up the scratch (things are extremely tight right now, but hopefully they should start to get better in the near future) I will probably order, too. I did not vote in the DCEmulation poll, because I didn't want to say "Yes" if I'm not able to get the scratch together.

Darksaviour69
July 2nd, 2004, 16:59
well i did not sign up to DCemu.co forums for over 2 years on protest (i sure no one cared ;D ) but i signed up to show support for your cause! i really want this mag (something to read while on the bog)

i'm sure its said all the time, but Meta your a great guy, a real hero to the DC underground! </sucking up> ;D

tinku
July 3rd, 2004, 09:14
If it has content to read thats not available on the net and homebrew exclusive to the cd and also not available on the net then its a good idea.

but if i can read and dload the content off the net then your onto a dead duck im afraid.

tinku :-/

MetaFox
July 3rd, 2004, 15:25
If it has content to read thats not available on the net and homebrew exclusive to the cd and also not available on the net then its a good idea.

but if i can read and dload the content off the net then your onto a dead duck im afraid.

tinku :-/
It definately has content not available on the internet. Interviews, rumors, reviews, etc. I haven't put these up on the DreamOn Internet site for the reason that I want it to be physical magazine-exclusive.

As for content on the disc - it's Beneath a Steel Sky for the first issue, using the ScummVM engine. The game and engine are of course available on the internet, but the disc will be pressed (CD-ROM not CD-R), and it will automatically boot into BASS like a standard Dreamcast game, instead of booting into the ScummVM-DC menu - a feature that isn't available anywhere on the internet.

Future discs will have content-exclusive titles and shareware releases that can be unlocked from the CD.

Darksaviour69
July 14th, 2004, 19:21
ik popped over to dcemu.com , to see how the voting is going..... 116, mmm not too great. still i would think there are lots of poeple out side out online commuity that wopuld buy the mag, but on the other hand out of the 116 so far , i'm sure there will be a few that don't buy the mag.

hard too know what to do...i reallly hope u do release it... but understand if u can not.

btw would your first disk be pretty much the same as the dcevolution release of Beneath a Steel Sky

Eric
July 14th, 2004, 19:23
I would buy the mag if it came to canada but i think that would be hard maybe i was thinking of EB and Microplay i have left a post at Dcemulation i am not to sure what the reply was after that

vipor231
July 15th, 2004, 05:59
you should make a online magazine too...alot of people do that...

curt_grymala
July 15th, 2004, 06:28
I believe he is planning on shipping the magazine internationally (that means it will go to Canada, along with a lot of other countries), as well as posting a PDF version of the magazine for download (online version of the magazine).

Eric
July 15th, 2004, 06:42
Thats cool i know i said above EB but i went to a lot of EB stores up here in Canada. They could careless about the maching. I remember going to one and they laughed and said well are dreamcast selection is almost out of here all we have is there sport games.

lol That seems to be the only games left at any of our EB stores but at Microplay, as i said at dcemulation's forums love the dreamcast. As soon as one comes in one goes out. They have really good deals on games maybe no like EB but Microplay's preplayed games seem to work alot better then EB's.

If you need an address to the place let me know even if that is something you need let me know cause i would love to see this magazine.

Eric

blackpuma
July 15th, 2004, 08:16
I'm interested in the dream on magazine and I would like to know if I must give somewhere an address or something too! :)
Plz give order information when needed....

wraggster
July 15th, 2004, 12:09
hmm well DChomebrew/DCemu UK will support Metafoxs project with a 120x120 banner, when he makes it ;)

also if Meta wants newsposting access then i can sort it too to promote his work/project

gotta support the scene as best as we can :)

vipor231
July 26th, 2004, 15:15
well eb games think they know everything...those are the give me generation and the heck with dreamcast..that sounds like there attitude...

Darksaviour69
July 26th, 2004, 19:26
MetaFox wrote:

It's not out yet. This is all done soley by me at the moment. Magazine printing is a pricey business. I was weighing my options, and I've decided that interest is high enough to warrant a news stand quality release, but there are factors that prevent immediate release:

1) Most importantly, CD pressing for multi-session Dreamcast MIL-CD format CDs is quite new, and there are no companies that are set up for them. The GOAT store has had problems with their latest releases in which the error checking set up for MAC/PC multi-session discs caused the Dreamcast to detect the disc as an audio CD. I'm talking with Dan Loosen about this, as I don't want to make the same mistakes.

2) I was planning on a small print run on cheap, stapled paper, but I'm opting for newstand quality instead. It's going to be 24 pages on "Standard" Size (8 3/8" X 10 3/4") coated paper on Heat Set Web Presses, stitched - with no advertisements. I don't yet have the funds for this, so I'm going to be selling some of my video game collection, and seeing if I can get a loan for this.

BuzzTron_451, you're making me out to be some sort of money-grubbing thief. This is all coming out of my pocket, and I won't be making a profit on this. I need to sell 1900 copies to even break even. This has never been about profit for me, but rather, for showcasing the talents of the developers and artists who still support the Dreamcast. Besides, it's $5US, it's not like you are going to break the bank to purchase it.

Kamjin
July 26th, 2004, 19:40
Might be a little ways off but I was thinking next
HB/Port I manage to finish I had the idea
of putting in an advert screen for the homebrew
sites, and mag..

fackue
July 26th, 2004, 20:02
Kinda sad to hear he's selling his collection for money. How much is he looking to raise?

I'm sure donations wouldn't be a problem.

MetaFox
July 26th, 2004, 22:57
Kinda sad to hear he's selling his collection for money. How much is he looking to raise?

I'm sure donations wouldn't be a problem.Around $3000. Donations are no good - I won't take money for a product I intend to sell - even if chances are I'll just break even.

I've got some family issues I have to deal with first that require my money, so I'm going to understandably have to put this on the backburner for now.

fackue
July 26th, 2004, 23:17
:o Wow, that's a lot of money...

MetaFox
July 26th, 2004, 23:32
:o Wow, that's a lot of money...
Yes indeed. I decided to go the 100% professional route after I saw that news had spread all over the internet.

I was originally going to go with a $700 black and white print, with stapled paper. The decision to go newstand quality increased the price dramatically. I've got no qualms about discussing finances here, since this is and always will be a community project:

The magazine itself is $4500 for 5000 pieces including shipping. The included disc is roughly $1 a piece after shipping, so 5000 magazines and 5000 discs would cost $9500. I'm not going to get all the discs pressed at the same time, since I don't have nearly $10,000 for a magazine run - and I have no way to make that kind of money at the moment.

I'm planning on an initial run of 5000 magazines and 1000 CDs - meaning $5500. After that stock runs low, I can order more CDs with the money made back from magazine sales to buy more CDs. Once the 5000 magazines are sold though, that's most likely going to be it - so it will be a limited run.

It's an insanely high amount of money I'm going to be putting into this, but the outcome will be fantastic. People have been asking me what the quality will be, and stating that they are sitting on the fence as to the fact of whether or not it will be amaturish.

I can state right now - it's going to be as professional as any magazine you can pick up off the news stands, so you don't have to worry about quality.

Eric
July 27th, 2004, 06:01
that sounds sweet i love the dcemu scene and support it all the way when and if i see these magazines at my fav store microplay i will pick one up

Go dreamcast 2004

Eric

Darksaviour69
July 27th, 2004, 18:36
meta i'm sure u have made your mind up already, but why dony u have two versions of the mag, one with the CD and one without and charge $1 more for the CD. might help cover your cost better!

i remember saturn power only some times had a free CD with it. when there was no Cd it was £2.50, when an issue came out with a FREE Demo disk, it was £5.00 ;)