PDA

View Full Version : PSP Bank with 40GB HDD

wraggster
February 14th, 2006, 20:53
Success HK (http://www.success-hk.com/affiliatewiz/aw.asp?B=112&A=50&Task=Click) have unveiled a new accessory with a 40GB Hard Drive for the PSP. Heres the info:

http://www.success-hk.com/item_photo/item/PSP-4hdd-L.jpg

<blockquote>Product Features of PSP Bank with 40GB HDD

It can hold huge amount of MP4 movie, songs and homebrew files
Copy and save files directly fro any USB Mass Storage Device without a computer
Support easy and user friendly control interface with LCM display
Easy to Copy/Save files with one-button click
Support USB storage devices with FAT 12/16/32 file system

More Description of PSP Bank with 40GB HDD
With 40G mass storage, you can store lots of MP4 movies, songs and homebrew PSP games in this small device

Product Function

Compliant with OTG supplement Rev.1.0 and USB
specification version 2.0 for high-speed(480Mbs)
USB host and device.
Copy and save files directly fro any USB Mass Storage Device without a computer.
Support USB storage devices with USB Mass Storage Device Class compliance.
Support easy and user friendly control interface with LCM display.
Easy to Copy/Save files with one-button click.
Support Copy/Move/Delete files functiion.
Support USB storage devices with FAT 12/16/32 file system
OTG dual-role capability.
One USB Mini AB Female connector for USB Mass Storage Device connection&Host connection.

System Requirements

Port:USB V1.1/2.0
MAC:9.0above
linux:kernel 2.4 above
HDD:Support 2.5"HDD </blockquote>

http://www.success-hk.com/item_photo/item/PSP-4hdd-X2.jpg

More information and to buy go to Success HK (http://www.success-hk.com/affiliatewiz/aw.asp?B=112&A=50&Task=Click), price is $166

imagecko
February 14th, 2006, 21:37
i thought the psp could only recongnise upt to 4 gigs

Boopop
February 14th, 2006, 21:45
That's if you connect it via the Memory card slot. This thing pretends to be a pc when you connect it up, as in through the usb port. I'm sure as you shall have realised, your PC has more storage than 4Gb, as does this :P.

Seems a bit too much effort to me, a multimedia device makes more sense to me, but im sure someone will find this useful.

Insane1
February 14th, 2006, 21:48
i thought the psp could only recongnise upt to 4 gigs
It can only read 4gb. Before theres any mistakes, note I've seen a product like this before. It's better described as a portable harddrive with a user interface. You can send files to and from the hard drive to the memory stick on the PSP by connecting the two VIA USB mode, but you can't do things like listen to music directly from the hard drive with the PSP.

I could make use of this for movies however. Store all the files I'll ever use on the PSP onto the HD, and transfer them to the memory card only when needed. That'd definitly let me store larger movies on the memory card because I can copy them to the memory card alone, delete them when I'm done, then send all my usual files back to it.

imagecko
February 14th, 2006, 22:07
tnx

this would be useful for people who own a media center pc and can convert the dvr-ms into a mpeg4 format

T-2000
February 14th, 2006, 22:36
so it only allows for transfers from and to mem card, hmmm...

Hevyduty
February 14th, 2006, 23:24
so it only allows for transfers from and to mem card, hmmm...
Yeah, you already need to have a large memstick for this to be effective. However, if you already have a 512MB memstick or larger, then devices like this are pretty handy. But there are lots of other devices besides this one, like the Smartdisk Fotochute and the Apacer Share Steno. Basically any USB OTG (On-The-Go) device with a LCD screen will work. Some higher end MP3 players have USB OTG capabilities as well.

englishrick
February 14th, 2006, 23:25
I have a Creative Zen Extra(60gb)...Could this be used the same as this?????

RedKing14CA
February 14th, 2006, 23:43
they have 60GB and 80GB of these on ebay, and you can even add a new HDD like a 260GB :D

on ebay they are 60-100$ how much is this one???

shadowprophet
February 15th, 2006, 01:09
thats flashy and sleek and sexy and all that jazz.
But I question the necessity of such an item :confused:

pspfan
February 15th, 2006, 01:30
I was thinking of getting one of these, but I just looked at the price and $166 is a bit much. I'd like to get an mp3 player that has USB host capabilities, insted though, since I would only need 2 devices. I think iRiver does this. Can anyone confirm that or suggest another mp3 player that can be a USB host? Thanks.

shadowprophet
February 15th, 2006, 01:50
You remember the origenal gameboy ?
But the time it was all said and done, It had so many accessories,
that to add them all at once, turned it into a monster,
that looked a lot like a space age camara someone might mount on a satelite headed for jupiter:p

I wonder what the future holds for the psp in this respect:confused:

logicbomb.de
February 15th, 2006, 02:02
There is ONE really important caveat to consider about getting a device like this EVEN IF in theory you want and have a need for this device.

what i'm talking about is the ability to choose exactly which folder to write TO (i.e. the MSDUO via USB mode).

some USB-OTG devices (the COPY CRUSIER PLUS, for example) wont let you specify where exacly (which folder) you want to have your files copied. the COY CRUISER automatically creates a folder called "BACKUP" in the root of your MSDUO and puts everything in there for the first copy session. next time it makes BACKUP1, BACKUP2,... and so on.
Not to much of a problem if your using isos cos then you can just rename the folder to ISO in file assistant and play away.
the problem is that you're kinda screwed if you want to move other files to the MP_ROOT/etc. folder or the PSP/VIDEO folder cause it seems like Fileassistant crashes when you try to MOVE a file to another folder (well, it wouln't work for me)

now hopefully, this device will let you specify the target folder during copy sessions, and there will be zero problems getting youre files where you want them. especially if you're using 2.0 or higher.

now granted, the device I was using was pretty much intended to be back up copier for memory cards, I could freely specify which file I wanted copied, but the target dir was always hardcoded. i did use this method to copy files from my iPod to my PSP, but this was really only practical for isos, (i was never able to succefully move a video file from BACKUP to MP_ROOT or whatever) and that gets old pretty quick.

this HDD seems like it should have a decent amount of copy options and such so hopefull hardcoded target folders will be a non issue with this one.

Emeriastone
February 15th, 2006, 02:25
If I could play media directly from the 40GB HDD, then i would find the need to purchase this, but I can't. It's a nice thought though.

HeX
February 15th, 2006, 03:43
I think sony should make it so you can use more then 4 gigs! That would solve our problems...

grayjaket
February 15th, 2006, 04:00
ok i love my PSP and everything and wouldn't trade it for another such device, but come on. that thing looks so inconvenient. save up another hundred dollars and get a good ipod video....much more convenient..less cords...less messing around....

i know psp has a bigger screen but...i mean...why would i lug around my psp AND a hardrive that big? its ridiculous.

not that i wouldnt pick psp over ipod video :-p im just saying that for people who consider that.

robowarriorx
February 15th, 2006, 05:43
Hmm...I for one find this a very intriguing option. It would be great for things like, say, Neo cd isos and PCE isos too. Plus, if you could add a new hdd, theoretically going as large as you want, that would be awesome. Granted, it does cut down on the portability, but what if, say, you were to go on vacation and were to be away from a pc for a while. It would be perfect. I know a lot of users would find issues, especially if you take your psp to school or other things. I've taken mine to work a few times, so I know about the portability issues. Personally, though, I think there is a lot of potential, especially because I was considering an external hdd anyway, and if I could somehow integrate this, which I'm sure I could, that would be all the better. However, there is something I was curious about. One of the previous posts was talking about other possible options. Does anyone know if they would work, and if so, are they available in the US? I'm a little turned off by the idea of importing, mainly because I've been burned before on some things I ordered from Hong Kong.

daurnimator
February 15th, 2006, 12:16
I rather my Archos Gmini 402

Smaller - and upgradable to any size - with a mod
as well as being a FANTASTIC mp3 and avi player (including xvid)

jangosolo
February 15th, 2006, 12:32
I rather my Archos Gmini 402

Smaller - and upgradable to any size - with a mod
as well as being a FANTASTIC mp3 and avi player (including xvid)
Yeah I got one too, it beats the PSP for music and vids

Madonion
February 15th, 2006, 14:51
If your going on vacation and dont have a laptop and only a desktop pc, you could use that 40gig thing. Copy all the movies and stuff on there and go on vacation then simple copy it onto your psp.

jedikd
February 15th, 2006, 21:00
all of this take about storage solutions, and the popularity of the ipod video, pretty much convinces me that Sony will release a psp w/ a 30-50GB hard disk. Good thing I got a replacement plan from best buy on mine, just have it break when the new ones come out, get $250 towards the new one.

gadgetgreats
April 17th, 2006, 19:26
yes, it is a little too "jazzy" for me too... :D

it is a glorified hard drive with cool psp backup,storage, copy functions. easy to use... anyways... www.gadgetgreats.com has d-rise bank.

br