PDA

View Full Version : Monkey 64 Present !!

PSmonkey
February 15th, 2006, 07:14
O M F GOD :eek:

God bless my gf and her taking over the pc for 20 mins. If not for her I would have not tested out all the PD roms I have on my PSP. Thanks to this I now have 2 count that, 2 brand new demos up and running. They are liners & 1964. Both would actualy progress furter if not for the lack of input/pif emulation.

Tomorrow I plan to test more PD roms and see if others work. At the moment everything else causes the psp to lock up somewhere (and roughly near each other). So hopefuly I can debug and fix this soon.

Anyways great news & enjoy the screenshots (see comment section)!!! :D

P.S. The Framerate is around 5.0-7.4 fps. A vast improvement over the previous 1.8 fps i was getting on fire demo.

.:PSP1.0:.
February 15th, 2006, 08:37
Excellent news..! Keep up the good work ;)

pauldude550
February 15th, 2006, 09:01
when i first heard about the news that you were making the n64 emulator, i thought you wouldn't get very far, as it had been suggested in the past, but everyone said it was impossible.
Excellent work you are doing for the community, just shows a lot more is possible than we all think!

EngPSP
February 15th, 2006, 09:05
Its great to hear news on this project !
Any news on iris ?

miemt11
February 15th, 2006, 12:03
WOW, 5.0-7.4 fps.

chickenclaws
February 15th, 2006, 12:55
you are makeing huge progress lol you are deffenity going down im psp history (if hes not already)

insaciable
February 15th, 2006, 15:00
PSmonkey It could put the new purified version of the emulator ????

Tnks ;)

PSmonkey
February 15th, 2006, 15:17
PSmonkey It could put the new purified version of the emulator ????

Tnks ;)

New Version and source will come as soon as I can fix a few more bugs (like the one locking up other roms), get input emulation in (so the pd games can be played) & get a few more roms running.

insaciable
February 15th, 2006, 16:52
oks,continues with the good work ;)

Mew
February 15th, 2006, 17:12
OMG..
I can't believe it!! o_o
Great Work!! http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Valiant
February 15th, 2006, 17:34
I look forward to this, good job at fulfilling something (somewhat) that people in this forums deemed to be impossible.

shenske37
February 15th, 2006, 17:58
this is absolutely amaizing! i can't even begin to tell you how greatful i am that you are taking this project. thanks for the updates. keep up the great work!

Sumo X
February 15th, 2006, 19:44
Good work monkey! You're definately making great progress. I look forward to seeing your work in the future.

jamesmarine
February 15th, 2006, 20:12
Will there be multiplayer support? It would be interesting to see how this works.. Also.. Can you program it to work with the ELoader? Some people like me dnt have a 1.5 anymore.. = (...

DPyro
February 15th, 2006, 21:19
I don't think he's worried about multiplayer right now...Need to get commercial roms working first.

Voltron
February 15th, 2006, 21:38
I don't think he's worried about multiplayer right now...Need to get commercial roms working first.

Yeah, lets not jump the gun. Multiplayer is not working in any EMU yet except SMS Plus. So to expect it in a WIP N64 EMU is probably asking too much. I personally long for a day when it may be possible to play Zelda - Ocarina of Time on the PSP. Even this might be expecting too much.

Voltron
February 15th, 2006, 21:40
I wouldn't care if something like this took years to come to fruition. The fact that PSMonkey is taking on such a task is admirable.

Wally
February 15th, 2006, 23:07
Yeah well sound wont be implemented yet...
I guess Xlink Kai could take care of that multiplayer problem

DPyro
February 15th, 2006, 23:09
Let's hope more PD rom's start working :)

zeromission80
February 16th, 2006, 00:31
There is no way you are gonna get this working to run commercial games at a normal speed, the xbox can't even on most games and it's processor is twice as fast as the psp, plus there are not enough buttons on the psp, are you people stupid or something! PD roms bah!!! not even close to hardware specifications. I know what the next idiots gonna say, why don't you code one.... well lets see I can wait for a REVELUTION to play the games the way they are meant to be played.... I do give the guy props for his efforts , I just think its ludacris to try on far fetched ideas such as an n64 emu on psp

Gnardog
February 16th, 2006, 00:43
There is no way you are gonna get this working to run commercial games at a normal speed, the xbox can't even on most games and it's processor is twice as fast as the psp, plus there are not enough buttons on the psp, are you people stupid or something! PD roms bah!!! not even close to hardware specifications. I know what the next idiots gonna say, why don't you code one.... well lets see I can wait for a REVELUTION to play the games the way they are meant to be played.... I do give the guy props for his efforts , I just think its ludacris to try on far fetched ideas such as an n64 emu on psp
well, you know what, just giving props is enough, no need to go all out flaming the guy for working on a really awesome project,
and by the way, revolution is NOT the way games were ment to be played... have you seen the controller?
how about you go pick up a SNES for 10 bucks and play your games the REAL way they were ment to be played...
seriously.
-EDIT-
yea, way to go psmonkey...
major props working on a couple of HUGE projects at once
i have much respect for you

DPyro
February 16th, 2006, 00:45
You oviously know nothing about the PSP or N64. Xbox hardware isn't even similar to the N64's hardware, but PSP is so it will run a lot faster once all the bugs are worked out and all the opcodes are emulated properly.

bobcobb
February 16th, 2006, 01:13
Keep coding.

Wally
February 16th, 2006, 01:20
There is no way you are gonna get this working to run commercial games at a normal speed, the xbox can't even on most games and it's processor is twice as fast as the psp, plus there are not enough buttons on the psp, are you people stupid or something! PD roms bah!!! not even close to hardware specifications.

In Re to zeromission80 post
Let me say first .

There is no way you are gonna get this working to run commercial games at a normal speed, the xbox can't even on most games and it's processor is twice as fast as the psp.

$n!pR has a good point. The xbox is nothing like the N64 as it has a 700mhtz celeron processor. The PSP has a Mips processor close to the original N64 processor (also Mips (93.75 MHz )64-bit R4300i ). The PSP has double (or maybe triple and a bit (333 MHz MIPS R4000)) the amount of speed in MHTZ than the n64 . Compared to an Xbox (733 MHz Intel Pentium 3) an Xbox is an entirely different platform, processor and stuff. The Xbox emu wasnt coded from scratch anyway and its 3 emus put into one.

plus there are not enough buttons on the psp, are you people stupid or something
Well you are right but we can make sacrifices.
As a standard the N64 has
1 L Button
1 R Button
4 D-Pad
4 C-Buttons
1 Analog Stick
1 Z button
1 A Button
1 B Button
1 start
total of 14 buttons and an X + Y axis on analog stick
The PSP has
1 L button
1 R Button
4 control buttons (x Square, Circle, Triangle
4 Dpad
1 start
1 select
1 Analog Stick
1 Remote Control (4 Buttons) :)
thats 16 buttons and an X + Y on analog Stick
or if you like 12 without the remote control
SO dont go saying there arent enough buttons we can live without the D-Pad

i know what the next idiots gonna say, why don't you code one.... well lets see I can wait for a REVELUTION to play the games the way they are meant to be played.... I do give the guy props for his efforts , I just think its ludacris to try on far fetched ideas such as an n64 emu on psp

First you didnt spell revolution right so obviously you know nothing about nintendo or its surroundings. Why would we code one? PSmonkey is doing that for us. He is a programmer after all. He knows his stuff and im not gunna stand in his way for someone like you.

A while ago they said hacking 2.00 was impossible... So why stop here?

Regards

Wally

yaustar
February 16th, 2006, 01:26
One Word: Corn.

Remember what that ran on? A 200mhz PC. That was becuase it was optimised to hell just to run a few games (eg mario64). Why couldn't this be done on a PSP?

Wally
February 16th, 2006, 01:33
Corn wont run because its made in ASM which is a difficult language

gimpyjr
February 16th, 2006, 01:44
Dude don't be dumb. The xbox uses an intel chip while the PSP uses a MIPS processor very similar to the N64. (there in the same processor family). Besides it's a miracle that Monkey would even spend his time doing somthing so wonderful for the scene. So don't critisize him for trying you NOOOOOOOOOB

:mad:

oninotsume
February 16th, 2006, 02:12
It's great to see you makings such progress in such a short time :D

Keep up the awesome work!!

PSmonkey
February 16th, 2006, 02:49

I feel your post needs to be addressed on a technical level so please bare with me.

As some have already pointed out, the PSP & n64 are mips processors which share alot of simularities. The instruction set on both are relativly close and with both being mips processors instruction layout will be about the same as well. In other words an ADD V0, V1, V2 is going to be the same on both.

Pc use x86 processors wich are cisc in design (unlike the mips which is Risc). So there is a vast amount of things that are different. What has caused for some really good speeds on the pc is emulators implementing a dynamic or static recompiler of the instruction set. This is yet to be implemented on Monkey 64 which at the moment is only interpreter based (which is ungodly slow mind you). The n64 emus for xbox are not very good or well optimised compaired to many pc n64 emulators (wich is rather sad since it should have been straight forward to get one going on the n64).

A few additional things that are interesting about the n64 is that it's registers are 64bit. While this sounds daunting for a 32bit system to handle, most instructions on the n64 mips processor were actualy 32bit with additional instructions added on to handle 64bit arithmatic. Thies instructions are not as heavly used as one would be led to believe. On top of it, mario64 & many other early n64 games did not push the system a whole lot, Alot of the geometry was rather basic, Rsp & Rdp were not worked to the bone & in most n64 emus for pc, mario 64 is one of the n64 games to actualy run almost near perfectly.

So is 30+ fps posible? Actualy its more posible then lead to believe. I have had numerious discussions with a few well known people from the n64 emulation & development scene. Both know the n64 like the back of their hand & feel that n64 emulation on the psp is quite posible if properly writen.

So how do I plan to properly write a n64 emu for the psp? By recompiling the mips instructions to psp mips instructions. Since both are simular very, less work will be needed to make this accurate compaired to recompiled instructions for a pc emu. I plan to recompile cpu & cop0 instructions to the main cpu. Cop1 instructions (floating point instructions) can be recompiled to take use of the psp's VFPU which also have their own set of registers. This will help out emencly in emulation speed.

Well thats about it. Do take into consideration that on the revolution, you're going to be paying out the teeth to play classic n64 games on the system, on top of it you will only get to play what nintendo provides. If you want to play games the way they were ment to be played, then buy the original system then. Thats the only way you will get to play things the way they are ment to be played.

chickenclaws
February 16th, 2006, 03:07
that was alot to read at once lol i dont really understand mips and all that stuff but im only 14 so anyway.. keep going with iris and m64 also thanks for updateing more often it makes this site 3x more interesting

PSMONKEY IS MY HERO!!!

AtariFreek
February 16th, 2006, 03:52
Oh My God. You Are The Best Coder. All Hail.

JOHNY 5
February 16th, 2006, 04:05
when is this going to be downloadable
by the way great work many said this will be impossible but u proved them wrong
again great work keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yaustar
February 16th, 2006, 05:02
Corn wont run because its made in ASM which is a difficult language
Who says that PSMonkey cant write this emulator in ASM as well from scratch (as he/she is doing)?

My point was that it is doable for a few games if PSMonkey writes the emulator as effeciently as possible in C/ASM from the ground up which is basically what he/she is doing.

DPyro
February 16th, 2006, 05:21
PSmonkey isn't a he/she....He's a guy LOL.

Sumo X
February 16th, 2006, 05:39
PSmonkey isn't a he/she....He's a guy LOL.

Well, the post referred to a girlfriend....wouldn't it be MUCH hotter to have a great coder that's a also lesbian? :D

But I do have a serious question for PSmonkey. Supposing it wasn't possible to get a fully working emulator to play most/all games, is it still possible to create an N64 emulator that could be tailored to run specific games well?

PSmonkey
February 16th, 2006, 08:19
small update before i go to bed tonight.

1) Still yet to fix the crash issue on other demos. I actualy think its because I have not emulated the memory system more (as many are looping a branch & StoreWord which to me means its trying to trigger an interupt).

2) I got Pif/Input emulation in somewhat. I seems to work on the line demo but due to errors in emulation, I can only move the arrow left & right with the analog stick (nothing else responded). I think what is in is accurate atleast since the pif ram block is properly updated with the info.

As for input. Bleh, next build has a fix system i think works fine for now. Custom input doesn't really matter when all we're running is pd roms atm. More on the setup when we get closer to release.

Thats it for now. its 3am, i need sleep.

Monouchi
February 16th, 2006, 08:29
WOW! PSmonkey, you are the father of PSP-N64 emulation.
Thanks for your hard work!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
February 16th, 2006, 13:46
Hey PSP monkey ypu are the 1st to open the gates the progress you have made in such a short time is noth short of phenomenal.Keep up the fantastic work dude..your friend in psp hacking.

PSmonkey
February 16th, 2006, 15:05
Oh small FYI, I end up not going to bed for another hour last night. I got one version of pong (by omar) to not lock up but i think it's gone into a bad section of the rom & going a long time without a branch. :/

I'll have to get cracking on this crash/branch bug asap.

travis134
February 17th, 2006, 04:26
Awesome, if you can get Mario Kart 64 working, we can finally stick it to all the DS owners!! lol

AtariFreek
February 17th, 2006, 04:29
Lol Good Point, By Friend Is A DS Fanatic, And He Always Brags About Mario Kart and Mario 64 DS So If I Could Get Those Running On My BEAUTIFUL PSP then I Could Show Him. Keep Up The Good Work Psmonkey!

PSmonkey
February 17th, 2006, 21:39
God sometimes I should think about coding when i'm more awake.

Anyway New Present comming this weekend. Exspect a huge explosion. Maybe some fireworks but we're saving the parade for when mario works.

middlemaniac
February 17th, 2006, 21:49
Awesome!!! But we'll just save the parade for Mario 64.LOL But we could have fireworks for the weekend!!!

Sumo X
February 17th, 2006, 22:08
God, don't taunt us like that! Now I'm too excited!

Wally
February 18th, 2006, 04:06
Awesome!!! But we'll just save the parade for Mario 64.LOL But we could have fireworks for the weekend!!!

Emulated fireworks yes!

Festizzio
February 18th, 2006, 05:40
So, we talking real fireworks, or the fireworks at the end of a level in Mario?

DPyro
February 18th, 2006, 14:05
Fireworks Demo :)

middlemaniac
February 18th, 2006, 14:49
LOL, What's the present anyway?

PSmonkey
February 19th, 2006, 20:45
Small update,

I spoke too soon. I am still having issues but I keep moving things more and more forward. I fix a few issues in my memory handler & added many many many more opcodes. So far things are progressing but not as far as i wished.

Alot of demos are still stuck somewhere. A few like Firedemo are progressing but just not rendering anything. A new demo Super Fighter Demo actualy fully works now (yay).

I'm still working like crazy to hunt down the bugs but it takes a bit. I think the issues comming up now are due to a lack of proper emulation in the memory system (had an issue of this recently with it writing to a status register it shouldn't).

Anyways I'll post some new screenshots once I get more fixed (this was supost to be the monkey present as it always will be this if its a monkey present) and working.

Sumo X
February 19th, 2006, 22:43
Oh well, it's not progressing as fast as we'd all like. I look forward to the new shots and updates.

insaciable
February 19th, 2006, 23:20
Oks PSmonkey follows its good work, and take its necessary time

WACOMalt
February 20th, 2006, 14:26
Yeah, lets not jump the gun. Multiplayer is not working in any EMU yet except SMS Plus. So to expect it in a WIP N64 EMU is probably asking too much. I personally long for a day when it may be possible to play Zelda - Ocarina of Time on the PSP. Even this might be expecting too much.

Wait, you mean on psp, right, because project 64 for PC has online multiplayer. which the source is availab;e for. I think it could me modified to allow multiplayer. but yes lets not jump the gun ;)

WACOMalt
February 20th, 2006, 14:33
My view on all of this is the following: You are an amazing coder, and I cant beleive how well you are doing. But to me, seeing how Snes even doesnt run PERFECTLY, I dont think games like Legend of Zelda OoT, will every be at a playable state. The PSP can handle the graphics no doubt, but not when being emulated. I only hope my words come back to haunt me some day, and it looks like you could prove me wrong. In my oppinion though, it would be better to code a converter. Something that could convert n64 roms into an eboot. Im pretty sure something like this exists for the PC, though it didnt work very well, but it shows its possible.If each game could be converted, then no emulation of sorts would even be needed.

But I really dont care. I cant wait to see what you add next to this thing regardless. Keep up the amazing work, and dont forget, Mario is waiting.

PSmonkey
February 20th, 2006, 15:09
My view on all of this is the following: You are an amazing coder, and I cant beleive how well you are doing. But to me, seeing how Snes even doesnt run PERFECTLY, I dont think games like Legend of Zelda OoT, will every be at a playable state. The PSP can handle the graphics no doubt, but not when being emulated. I only hope my words come back to haunt me some day, and it looks like you could prove me wrong. In my oppinion though, it would be better to code a converter. Something that could convert n64 roms into an eboot. Im pretty sure something like this exists for the PC, though it didnt work very well, but it shows its possible.If each game could be converted, then no emulation of sorts would even be needed.

But I really dont care. I cant wait to see what you add next to this thing regardless. Keep up the amazing work, and dont forget, Mario is waiting.

What you sudgest would be difficult but is simular in a sense to dynamic or static recompiling of the rom instructions. This is something I ultimately plan to add into the emulator for playable speed. Psp & N64 Cpu are very simular in alot of ways. The only major differences is the n64 had 64bit registers and the psp only has 32bit. Yet at the same time a majority of n64 instructions were 32bit with a few 64bit instructions. With some tender loving care it should not be a huge problem.

PSmonkey
February 20th, 2006, 15:15
Hey just a small note but other then doing a few small things I am gonna take a break from monkey 64 today to work on iris. My head is still spinning after trying to trace bugs over the weekend.

I have a nastly bug regaring n64 star demo that is writing an address into memory (somewhere, not sure when its writen yet) and then later loading that value back up and jumping to that address (which is an instruction jumping to its self). What makes it hard is the fact the section of code that makes the branch is fine and dandy as this section is looped numerous times but later something writes the address to branch to a looping jump instruction. :(

Anyways like I said. I am going to write a few things today like a screen capture code so I can take shots of stuff running. Then i'm going to put some time into iris.

middlemaniac
February 20th, 2006, 16:16
WOW! Psmonkey you are the coolest coder I have ever seen! Keep up the good work, can't wait fo Mario 64!!!!

PSmonkey
February 20th, 2006, 16:59
Here is the clean screenshot I promissed ( I just quickly copied my screen snag code from iris ).

jas0nuk
February 20th, 2006, 17:18
Wow. Looking good. Good luck with the emulator.

I've never really understood what's involved in writing an emulator, how much work would be involved in writing a dynamic or static recompiler and what does it do? Does it patch the functions called by the game and make them compatible for the PSP CPU as they are called?

middlemaniac
February 20th, 2006, 18:30
Is this a PD rom for the N64? It looks amazing! But why isn't it 3D?

PSmonkey
February 20th, 2006, 18:41
Is this a PD rom for the N64? It looks amazing! But why isn't it 3D?

Yup it is a PD rom for n64. Most n64 pd roms are 2d. If it was 3d it would not work at the moment since 3d requires rsp emulation and I haven't even begun to touch the rsp (alot of work involved & I want to get other things working first).

yaustar
February 21st, 2006, 06:19
Wow. Looking good. Good luck with the emulator.

I've never really understood what's involved in writing an emulator, how much work would be involved in writing a dynamic or static recompiler and what does it do? Does it patch the functions called by the game and make them compatible for the PSP CPU as they are called?

[Note: This is to my knowledge]

In a nutshell, you rebuild the ROM so it calls the hosts native registers instead of the orignal platform ones. This can only be done if the platforms hardwre are simiilar.

The reason why it is faster is that you have a lower operation overhead for the 'emulator' since it is calling the hardware directly rather then having to go through middleware and wasting instructions/operations to translate the hardware calls.

The downside is that you have to know the hardware in and out to pull it off effectively and only work with a limited number of games.

Cho Aniki
February 21st, 2006, 06:31
Yup it is a PD rom for n64. Most n64 pd roms are 2d. If it was 3d it would not work at the moment since 3d requires rsp emulation and I haven't even begun to touch the rsp (alot of work involved & I want to get other things working first).

There are some good 2d commercial games for N64 one being Bangai-o (only 16 meg ,might be good for testing)

shadowhawk22
February 26th, 2006, 20:40
Give us lots of updates. We'll be watching and waiting!
Thanks a ton!

I LOVE YOU PSMONKEY!

Datda360
March 7th, 2006, 15:46
Good work but how are you supposed to download it? and could someone give me some links to downloads that work with a psp version 2.6?

Vega
March 7th, 2006, 17:31
give the guy a break!
Its not ready yet.

DPyro
March 7th, 2006, 17:42
#1. You can't download it yet.
#2. It probably won't work on a 2.60 PSP.

Chunkylover21
March 9th, 2006, 01:20
keep up the good work man. i just saw you mentioned in PSM!!!! you are going to get an unbelievable number of support now. tons of luck.

bobcobb
March 9th, 2006, 02:08
Before I upgrade my PSP to 2.6 in a couple of hours to play GoC, will this emulator ever work with 2.6? Is it possible?

pkmaximum
March 9th, 2006, 03:05
Doubt it because you can't use 2.6 firmware to access the kernal support that 1.5 homebrew friendly firmware has. Also this question has been asked a 100 time look around before you ask questions like this.

pkmaximum
March 9th, 2006, 03:07
PSmonkey you know you have my support 110% but I have a question. I mean just be strait foward I know you said you could maybe one day in the future have Mario64 running at 30 frames per second but how playable is that really? I mean 30 frames per second isn't that like trying to play game boy advanced with the emulators available for the psp (slow as hell). And not trying to bust balls but I mean I don't ever see games like Zelda Ocarina of time ever possible. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And believe me I hope im wrong.

jairolas
March 9th, 2006, 03:20
You are amazing, From all the spanish-speakers psp scene lovers, IŽll say you, We appreciate your work, man!

MonoLoco
March 9th, 2006, 03:52
The original Mario 64 ran at 30 fps...I'd say it was playable.

crazyjohn
March 9th, 2006, 06:27
DVDs run at 30fps... Id say they're watchable

PSmonkey
March 9th, 2006, 15:48
sure but also do realise the mario64 is running at 30fps but synced to a 60hz display. If an emu is running at only 30fps it means mario would be doing 15fps since its only doing half the speed.

leandro batera
March 12th, 2006, 19:19
:) I want to know I eat that monkey 64 makes to twirl the rom with the emulator, somebody I can help me :confused:

Elsid
March 12th, 2006, 19:23
Big up to the Monkey Dude!!!

Vega
March 12th, 2006, 23:33
:) I want to know I eat that monkey 64 makes to twirl the rom with the emulator, somebody I can help me :confused:

What ????

crazyjohn
March 13th, 2006, 08:32
Hehe yeah I guess english isnt his first language. In response. Read the READ THIS FIRST thread.

Raytracer
March 13th, 2006, 14:59
we love Engrish!!!! :)

Shilo
March 14th, 2006, 00:22
Originally Posted by leandro batera
I want to know I eat that monkey 64 makes to twirl the rom with the emulator, somebody I can help me

WTF?????????

WOOOHOOOOO 50th Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)